pickups advice on which are the best?

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

pickups advice on which are the best?

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

hey guys im building my own guitar using mahogany wood and id just like peoples advice on pickups which are the ultimate pups for bridge and neck. I play rock and metal mainly so for bridge I like to chug palm mute and for neck obviously you need a nice warm tone for alternate picking . sweeps etc. cheers

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: pickups advice on which are the best?

Post by Andy92 »

I've heard good things about Bare Knuckle Pickups. I'm not overly familiar with their different ones (think they have one called the Juggernaut). But for hard rock and metal, they seem like a good bet to start with.

DiMarzio is another solid brand to go with for pickups.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

cheers andy lad

ErnieBall
Brand New Start

Post by ErnieBall »

Being late as I should ^^ I'd like to recommend pickups with not too much output, because they are easier to controll. Also, don't mistake "Warm" for having lots of low-end (which is half true), because you'll lose your expression and tone. I'd go for relatively "flat" pickups, Juggernauts are good ones. Dimarzio's are great as well, but they do tend to be a bit dark.

Hope this wasn't too late LOL :P

Erwin

ncnelson1984
Brand New Start

Post by ncnelson1984 »

Part of it depends on what you are going for. From your comment on liking to chug with your bridge pickup it sounds like higher output pups might be more your thing. I know Tremonti's are high output, and his bridge pup is very much on the bright side.

All that said, I've used Dimarzio pups for years and have never had a bad experience. Currently using the Illuminator neck and bridge, but I've used the Tone Zone bridge, PAF Joe, Chopper, Liquifire and Crunch Lab pups before and all have been great. I also really dig the pickup picker app on Dimarzio.com. Not trying to sound like a fanboy or advertisement, but really have had great luck with them.

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

Thanks guys

Harry©
Bought The CDs

Post by Harry© »

I have a Tremonti PRS pickup in my bridge and a PRS Vintage Bass in the neck.
I really love the combo and the split coil sounds.
Great for metal but great for warm sounds too.