Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
User avatar
Inconquerable
Rise Today
Posts: 3917
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm
Location: Shady Oak Dr.

Re: I almost said great mix. Like muffin mix? Ugh.

Post by Inconquerable »

Just listened to the last three covers you posted, Muffin and they're all really good! You've got a great voice, kind of reminds me of Scott Weiland a little from the early Stone Temple Pilots years. Great stuff!
Image

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:05 am
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: I almost said great mix. Like muffin mix? Ugh.

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Inconquerable wrote:Just listened to the last three covers you posted, Muffin and they're all really good! You've got a great voice, kind of reminds me of Scott Weiland a little from the early Stone Temple Pilots years. Great stuff!
Thanks! Sorry for responding a bit late here, haha. LOL @ "muffin mix"!

Not sure what happened to my other YouTube video, but I made lyric videos out of my last two covers that I think I had posted on here at one point.






MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:05 am
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Oh, and uh... I literally have nowhere else to put this one. It's five years old now, but if you wanted to see something shaken up a little bit, I did some improv with impressions here.

Voices done (in order): Carl, Chris, Peter, Bruce, Stewie, Brian, Joe, Quagmire, Herbert... then some form of Lois, whatever the heck it is I was doing.


User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by TenaciousBe »

Wanted to share this one from a couple years ago. Aside from the train honking in the background, I got a pretty good sound on this video as I was opening up a Make-a-Wish benefit show with some friends of mine who do a full-band cover band, and they hooked me up in their sound system so I got a much better sound mix than normal. Good times! I've been off the live show circuit for nearly 2 years now (aside from playing a few at a Farmers Market a couple months ago), I miss it! Need to get myself back into it again.

Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by TenaciousBe »

Not to double-post, but come on, we're on a forum in 2020, rules are meaningless. :) Here's a throwback to 2017 that I just uploaded to my channel, a little cover of some Pop Evil. Enjoy! (And this thread was originally to just list what songs you do, but this is way funner, let's populate it with videos of us playing awesome songs. Post away!)

Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

User avatar
maximzub
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am
Location: Mark Tremonti's right pinky.

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by maximzub »

I tend to learn every song I ever listen to, so if I was to list every song I play, it would be too much. Here are some of the songs that I've played live the most:

Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash)
Still Friends (Original song)
Watch Over You (Alter Bridge)
The Bliss (Volbeat)
American Girl (Tom Petty)
I Saw Her Standing There (The Beatles)
Guitar Medley (Metallica/Alter Bridge; includes The Call Of Ktulu, Cry Of Achilles, Fade To Black, The Day That Never Comes, Blackbird, Words Darker Than Their Wings, Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman, and Show Me A Leader)
Man Of Constant Sorrow (in the style of Charm City Devils)
Running Down A Dream (Tom Petty)
It's My Life (Bon Jovi)
Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty)
Man In The Box (Alice In Chains)
Under Your Scars (Godsmack)
Bad Guy (Billie Eilish)
Fallen (Volbeat)
Sad Man's Tongue (Volbeat)
Undisclosed Desires (Muse)
Wagon Wheel (Darius Rucker)
Whiskey In The Jar (Metallica)
Blood And Roses (The Smithereens)
Cloud 9 (Volbeat)
Nothing Else Matters (Metallica)
Rockin' In The Free World (Neil Young/Bon Jovi)
Squeeze Box (The Who)
The Man Who Sold The World (Nirvana)
Torn To Pieces (Pop Evil)
Have You Ever Seen The Rain (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Honey Bee (Tom Petty)
If It Means A Lot To You (A Day To Remember)
Lola Montez (Volbeat)
Monster You Made (Pop Evil)
Reduced To Flames (Original song)
Last edited by maximzub on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 am

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by davidstvz »

Great thread idea. I’m gonna pour over this later. I play acoustic guitar almost exclusively (and unplugged electric bass) ... I’m too lazy to plug in! But I still play heavy stuff.

That said, my brother sings as well as I play guitar (and he plays guitar as well as I sing - which is to say good enough for backing parts) and were thinking about starting up a little acoustic show some day.

I’d put some Metallica on the list if it isn’t already. Unforgiven or Nothing Else Matters for casual crowds especially.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 am

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by davidstvz »

Here's the songs I've been working on so far for an acoustic show with my brother.

CCR - Fortunate Son
The Beatles - A Day in the Life
The Beatles - Hey Jude
Elton John - Rocket Man
Van Halen - Panama
Eagles - Hotel California
Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Guns N Roses - November Rain
Guns N Roses - Yesterdays
Metallica - The Unforgiven
Metallica - November Rain
Alice in Chains - Heaven Beside You
Alice in Chains - Man in the Box
Sound Garden - Black Hole Son
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue
Sublime - Santeria
Tom Petty - Mary Jane

We might axe some of those. So far I'm not sure what kind of stuff we're really trying to play. The list above is just mixed up classic rock from any time. Maybe we'll just stick with that.

I also play a ton of stuff on my own that I'd probably never play live (AB's Blackbird, older Metallica like Fade to Black, Sanitarium and One, Pantera's Cemetery Gates, etc.)

User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by TenaciousBe »

davidstvz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:30 pm Great thread idea. I’m gonna pour over this later. I play acoustic guitar almost exclusively (and unplugged electric bass) ... I’m too lazy to plug in! But I still play heavy stuff.
Have you ever tried playing acoustic bass? I got one many years ago, even though I really don't know how to play anything on bass. Mostly I was trying to get an acoustic band going, and wanted to have some equipment on hand in case anyone was interested in joining me and didn't want to invest in the equipment (also bought a djembe for the same reason, but I could play that a bit more if I had the opportunity). I still don't know how to play it, so it just sits in its gig bag, rotting away. haha
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 am

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by davidstvz »

TenaciousBe wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 am
davidstvz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:30 pm Great thread idea. I’m gonna pour over this later. I play acoustic guitar almost exclusively (and unplugged electric bass) ... I’m too lazy to plug in! But I still play heavy stuff.
Have you ever tried playing acoustic bass? I got one many years ago, even though I really don't know how to play anything on bass. Mostly I was trying to get an acoustic band going, and wanted to have some equipment on hand in case anyone was interested in joining me and didn't want to invest in the equipment (also bought a djembe for the same reason, but I could play that a bit more if I had the opportunity). I still don't know how to play it, so it just sits in its gig bag, rotting away. haha
Earlier this year I briefly owned a Taylor GS-Mini Bass with a Koa wood sound board, but I returned it. It was nice but I had two problems with it, both stemming from the fact that I beat the hell out of the strings when I play bass. First problem is that the strings are nylon core and are very low tension... that doesn't go well with my playing style at all although I felt I could adjust.

The other problem is that it's a 4 string. I normally play a 5 and besides missing those low notes occasionally, I attack the strings so hard my finger usually comes to rest on the next lowest string. For a 4 string, since there is no 5th string my finger just smacks the body instead which sounds pretty bad on an acoustic. Of course, I have that problem on the 5th string of a 5 string as well, but since the 5th string is rarely required (and I have no choice), I just deal with it.

So I took it back and used the money on some other things I needed (acoustic amp, effects and shure 58).

User avatar
maximzub
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am
Location: Mark Tremonti's right pinky.

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by maximzub »

Here's my setlist for tomorrow night's show:

1. I Saw Her Standing There (The Beatles)
2. Have You Ever Seen The Rain (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
3. Blood And Roses (The Smithereens)
4. Interstate Love Song (Stone Temple Pilots)
5. Patience (Guns N' Roses)
6. Last Kiss (Pearl Jam)
7. Let Her Cry (Hootie & The Blowfish)
8. Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty)
9. Under Your Scars (Godsmack)
10. Wagon Wheel (Darius Rucker)
11. Squeeze Box (The Who)
12. The Wife Song (Tim Hawkins)
13. Undisclosed Desires (Muse)
14. 2 Wheel Therapy (The OGMC)
15. Wanted Dead Or Alive (Bon Jovi)
16. Livin' On A Prayer (Bon Jovi)
17. Roadtrip Song (Original song)
--Set break--
18. Champaign, Illinois (Old 97's)
19. Whiskey In The Jar (Metallica)
20. Let It Be (The Beatles)
21. If It Means A Lot To You (A Day To Remember)
22. It's My Life (Bon Jovi)
23. Man Of Constant Sorrow (in the style of Charm City Devils)
24. Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
25. I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty)
26. Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
27. Watch Over You (Alter Bridge)
28. Lola Montez (Volbeat)
29. The Bliss (Volbeat)
30. Still Friends (Original song)
31. Running Down A Dream (Tom Petty)
32. Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash)

Gonna be a cool show.

User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by TenaciousBe »

maximzub wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:32 pm Here's my setlist for tomorrow night's show:

1. I Saw Her Standing There (The Beatles)
2. Have You Ever Seen The Rain (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
3. Blood And Roses (The Smithereens)
4. Interstate Love Song (Stone Temple Pilots)
5. Patience (Guns N' Roses)
6. Last Kiss (Pearl Jam)
7. Let Her Cry (Hootie & The Blowfish)
8. Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty)
9. Under Your Scars (Godsmack)
10. Wagon Wheel (Darius Rucker)
11. Squeeze Box (The Who)
12. The Wife Song (Tim Hawkins)
13. Undisclosed Desires (Muse)
14. 2 Wheel Therapy (The OGMC)
15. Wanted Dead Or Alive (Bon Jovi)
16. Livin' On A Prayer (Bon Jovi)
17. Roadtrip Song (Original song)
--Set break--
18. Champaign, Illinois (Old 97's)
19. Whiskey In The Jar (Metallica)
20. Let It Be (The Beatles)
21. If It Means A Lot To You (A Day To Remember)
22. It's My Life (Bon Jovi)
23. Man Of Constant Sorrow (in the style of Charm City Devils)
24. Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
25. I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty)
26. Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
27. Watch Over You (Alter Bridge)
28. Lola Montez (Volbeat)
29. The Bliss (Volbeat)
30. Still Friends (Original song)
31. Running Down A Dream (Tom Petty)
32. Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash)

Gonna be a cool show.
Okay, this post is from almost 2 months ago, and I just now realized the thread had any unread posts in it. Oops! I like the vibe here, how did the show go over?
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

User avatar
maximzub
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am
Location: Mark Tremonti's right pinky.

Re: Your Acoustic Covers Repertoire

Post by maximzub »

TenaciousBe wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:04 am
maximzub wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:32 pm Here's my setlist for tomorrow night's show:

1. I Saw Her Standing There (The Beatles)
2. Have You Ever Seen The Rain (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
3. Blood And Roses (The Smithereens)
4. Interstate Love Song (Stone Temple Pilots)
5. Patience (Guns N' Roses)
6. Last Kiss (Pearl Jam)
7. Let Her Cry (Hootie & The Blowfish)
8. Mary Jane's Last Dance (Tom Petty)
9. Under Your Scars (Godsmack)
10. Wagon Wheel (Darius Rucker)
11. Squeeze Box (The Who)
12. The Wife Song (Tim Hawkins)
13. Undisclosed Desires (Muse)
14. 2 Wheel Therapy (The OGMC)
15. Wanted Dead Or Alive (Bon Jovi)
16. Livin' On A Prayer (Bon Jovi)
17. Roadtrip Song (Original song)
--Set break--
18. Champaign, Illinois (Old 97's)
19. Whiskey In The Jar (Metallica)
20. Let It Be (The Beatles)
21. If It Means A Lot To You (A Day To Remember)
22. It's My Life (Bon Jovi)
23. Man Of Constant Sorrow (in the style of Charm City Devils)
24. Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
25. I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty)
26. Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
27. Watch Over You (Alter Bridge)
28. Lola Montez (Volbeat)
29. The Bliss (Volbeat)
30. Still Friends (Original song)
31. Running Down A Dream (Tom Petty)
32. Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash)

Gonna be a cool show.
Okay, this post is from almost 2 months ago, and I just now realized the thread had any unread posts in it. Oops! I like the vibe here, how did the show go over?
Awesome! It was the first time one of our big shows went entirely according to plan. A lot of times, we had to cut out songs, but this time we didn't. And bonus -- we got some of our friends up to play six of their songs at the end. The place just lit up! Here's the highlight from that night - "Seven Bridges Road".

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 7129813711

Post Reply