Amps & Other Guitar Gear

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: Amps & Other Guitar Gear

Post by Crumbso »

Dolo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:16 pm My rig is:

Electrics:
2008 PRS Tremonti SE

Acoustics:
T-Burton Riverside
Samick GD-100SCE VS (with a Fisherman piezo pickup)

Basses:
Sterling Sub Ray 5 RRBS

Amps:
BOSS Katana MK II 50W

Pedals:
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
NUX Time Force Multi Digital Delay
Dunlop Crybaby

Recording/Interfaces:
Behringer U-Phoria UMC22
MOZOS MKIT-900PRO microphone
M-Station MIDI Keyboard
Katana has totally dominated the market. I hear the Mk.II is super versatile.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Crumbso wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:15 am
Katana has totally dominated the market. I hear the Mk.II is super versatile.
It definitely has. It allows you to record the signal straight via USB into your DAW and that's what got me into recording stuff that I had been stockpiling for years. The BOSS Tone Centre software is also great, you can tweak the settings on your PC/laptop without even touching the knobs and it saves them as banks.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:32 pm
Crumbso wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 am Can anyone recommend how they have gone about making or getting custom made patch cables for a board?
I don’t get custom made ones but I’ve had a lot of success with various lengths of this Ernie Ball brand:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... multi-pack

You can buy multipacks like this or individual ones. I like them because they’re super flexible since they’re ribbon style. Even if a cable you use is a little longer than needed, it’s flexible enough to tuck underneath the board easily enough.

I linked Sweetwater because I tend to use them a lot, but I’m sure you could find them from a different vendor for better shipping rates where you’re at.
I ordered this to try and see if I can get nice custom length stuff without any real slack:
https://www.pedalpatch.co.uk/product-pa ... -kit-large

Will let you know how I get on.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

So this has been my current "rig" for a bit now. I have the mt-15 going to the center cab and the dual rectifier going to the two outer cabs. They really compliment each other well. The mt-15 is a bit more spongy, warm, and more mid-range-y compared to the dual rectifier having that more bright punchy sizzle with plenty of low end.
They kinda balance each other out perfectly.

I have a delay and noise gate running in the mt-15's effects loop, an A/B-Y pedal, and the helix floor unit is used only as a midi controller so that I can switch both amps simultaneously from clean (blue & green) to dirty (red & red) channels.

Was a huge pain in the ass figuring it out and I had to buy this special box from voodoo labs to make the dual rectifier midi switchable and then get the helix to do 2 amps at once: 1 via midi and the other via 1/4 jack lol.

The result however is a tone that is unbelievably massive, and always leaves me smiling and ears ringing :cloud9

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That setup took some dedication :lol

I’ve seen stereo setups with two amps before but what you’re doing with the center cab for one and the outer cabs for the other is pretty cool. Bet it sounds huge in the room.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

It certainly did, and it does man! I'm always having to pick up stuff that falls off shelves and tables haha. My parents live next door and I'll inevitably get a text from my mom telling me to "Turn it down, I can hear it from here. You're going to ruin your hearing" :lol She's probably right, but it's just so good I can't stop myself!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

mitch103 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:02 am Image

So this has been my current "rig" for a bit now. I have the mt-15 going to the center cab and the dual rectifier going to the two outer cabs. They really compliment each other well. The mt-15 is a bit more spongy, warm, and more mid-range-y compared to the dual rectifier having that more bright punchy sizzle with plenty of low end.
They kinda balance each other out perfectly.

I have a delay and noise gate running in the mt-15's effects loop, an A/B-Y pedal, and the helix floor unit is used only as a midi controller so that I can switch both amps simultaneously from clean (blue & green) to dirty (red & red) channels.

Was a huge pain in the ass figuring it out and I had to buy this special box from voodoo labs to make the dual rectifier midi switchable and then get the helix to do 2 amps at once: 1 via midi and the other via 1/4 jack lol.

The result however is a tone that is unbelievably massive, and always leaves me smiling and ears ringing :cloud9
That is one awesome-looking setup you have there. It must sound amazing at full chat.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Anybody has ever tried Harley Benton axes? They are as far as I understand Thomann's own brand (which is a music mega story in Germany). I've been looking at their SC-Custom II series as I might need another six-string for Drop C# to rehearse with my new band. It looks pretty much like ESP LTD, just wondering if it's good for the price it retails for.

https://www.thomann.de/pl/harley_benton ... age_bk.htm

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dolo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:45 am Anybody has ever tried Harley Benton axes? They are as far as I understand Thomann's own brand (which is a music mega story in Germany). I've been looking at their SC-Custom II series as I might need another six-string for Drop C# to rehearse with my new band. It looks pretty much like ESP LTD, just wondering if it's good for the price it retails for.

https://www.thomann.de/pl/harley_benton ... age_bk.htm
They can be awesome value but they don't have great quality control, so be prepared to maybe send one or two back with possible issues.

Like Chapman guitars, their business model is to buy direct from the factory and the store is supposed to QC, but they often don't. So there could be a likelihood of manufacturing defects or setup issues. BUT, if you get a good one, that's a lot of guitar for very little money. The cheaper bits on them can be easily upgrade later, too.
Last edited by Crumbso on Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Crumbso wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:14 am
They can be awesome value but they don't have great quality control, so be prepared to make send one or two back with possible issues.

Like Chapman guitars, their business model is too buy direct from the factory and the store is supposed to QC, but they often don't. So there could be a likelihood of manufacturing defects or setup issues. BUT, if you get a good one, that's a lot of guitar for very little money. The cheaper bits on them can be easily upgrade later, too.
Yeah, I would be dropping it off at a professional luthier after purchase provided I actually decided to get one. Thanks!

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think a lot of it just comes down to price/spec ratio. A lot of guitars from brands like Harley Benton, Chapman, Solar, ESP LTD, and PRS SE are made in the same Indonesian factory. The QC can be iffy but I have a PRS SE Mark Holcomb model out of that factory that plays really well. Also have a 7 string ESP LTD and it’s mostly good outside a couple frets not being rounded off the greatest. Still a really nice guitar overall.

Like Crumbso said, probably worth taking a shot on one and if you’re having a luthier set it up, you should be in good shape. I’d just check over the fretwork and look for any cracks in the fretboard/other locations.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

So I went ahead and got this:

https://www.thomann.de/pl/harley_benton ... _flame.htm

Plays and sounds really good for 222GBP, doesn't even require any major luthier work.
It just seems like the pickups could have been screwed to the body a bit better but's that a minor thing.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Anybody here uses Line 6 POD Go? Just got myself one yesterday to be able to rehearse with my band cause I needed a proper multi-effect pedal for all the tone switching with banks assigned for each song and I'm loving it! It's got far more stuff in it that I would ever need but features like built-in tuner, wah-wah and volume pedal are really helpful.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dolo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:42 pm Anybody here uses Line 6 POD Go? Just got myself one yesterday to be able to rehearse with my band cause I needed a proper multi-effect pedal for all the tone switching with banks assigned for each song and I'm loving it! It's got far more stuff in it that I would ever need but features like built-in tuner, wah-wah and volume pedal are really helpful.
I've had multiple Helix variations. The Placator, Ventoux and Derailed Ingrid models are awesome. I also love the Teemah drive pedal on there.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:16 am
Dolo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:42 pm Anybody here uses Line 6 POD Go? Just got myself one yesterday to be able to rehearse with my band cause I needed a proper multi-effect pedal for all the tone switching with banks assigned for each song and I'm loving it! It's got far more stuff in it that I would ever need but features like built-in tuner, wah-wah and volume pedal are really helpful.
I've had multiple Helix variations. The Placator, Ventoux and Derailed Ingrid models are awesome. I also love the Teemah drive pedal on there.
Good stuff. I'm loving the Revv and Archetype modulations on the POD. It's crazy that you can even assign a Digitech Whammy pedal modulation to the expression pedal.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dolo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:59 am
Crumbso wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:16 am
Good stuff. I'm loving the Revv and Archetype modulations on the POD. It's crazy that you can even assign a Digitech Whammy pedal modulation to the expression pedal.
The Helix stuff was already good value but the Pod GO seems like enormously good value. Line 6 is always updating with new effects and amps. They also recently re-did the cab sim engine and it's up there with the very best IRs now.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Dolo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:59 amGood stuff. I'm loving the Revv and Archetype modulations on the POD. It's crazy that you can even assign a Digitech Whammy pedal modulation to the expression pedal.
I would be over the moon to have an actual Revv :lol

The Revv models in the Axe-Fx system are solid too. I have an FM3 and enjoy using those amp models a lot, especially the purple channel.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Andy92 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:06 pm
Dolo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:59 amGood stuff. I'm loving the Revv and Archetype modulations on the POD. It's crazy that you can even assign a Digitech Whammy pedal modulation to the expression pedal.
I would be over the moon to have an actual Revv :lol

The Revv models in the Axe-Fx system are solid too. I have an FM3 and enjoy using those amp models a lot, especially the purple channel.
Just tried my main rhythm tone based on a Revv yesterday during a rehearsal and I needed to turn my treble right down cause it sounded much fizzier on a Marshall 4x12 compared to headphones. But I love it.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Dolo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:59 am Just tried my main rhythm tone based on a Revv yesterday during a rehearsal and I needed to turn my treble right down cause it sounded much fizzier on a Marshall 4x12 compared to headphones. But I love it.
I’ve noticed some cabinet combinations do sound fizzy with them so I tend to back off the presence when using those models in my FM3 as well. I’ve found the tones work really well in full mixes. Don’t need to do much tweaking to get them to cut through well.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

NAP: I got a ludicrously good deal on a Bad Cat Lynx. So it's now sitting proudly at home. I really need to get this in the rehearsal room and let it rip.