Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Cfrancis02002
Brand New Start

Re: Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

Post by Cfrancis02002 »

The DIsposable Hero wrote:I'm sorry, but the Full Circle tab book is so wrong on a lot of things. I don't trust that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS2cEQwDuFw
This video of a soundcheck of Time definitely shows its in an open tuning as opposed to B standard.

And there aren't super great live videos of Bread of Shame, but there is no way he does wide string skipping for the main intro riff. And he wouldn't be playing the octaves like in a drop D style like how the tab book notates.
I don’t know what to believe, but I played Bread of Shame and Time on my guitar and the tab book version seemed way more accurate. The Bread Of Shame Pinch harmonics are more acccurate than in the online tab, and the harmonics for Time are played in standard tuning. Even how Mark plays it, the book seems to be mostly accurate. Also the chords in Time for the chorus are very accurate.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Post by The DIsposable Hero »

If you listen to the open notes Mark is playing at the beginning of the soundcheck -- it's clearly B E B E G B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS2cEQwDuFw

https://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/gu ... nti-245104
And Mark clearly says in this interview that Time is in an open tuning.

Just trust me on the Bread of Shame thing. No way in hell back then would he tune to G# D# G# C# F A# for that song. In all the live videos I've seen, it definitely doesn't look like he's playing a baritone guitar. He's much more likely to go for the Come to Life style tuning than tune that low.

And know that 90% of the time, mass-published tab books are inaccurate. They're good as a general guide to get the sound, but they're not true to how they're played. The pinch harmonics sound accurate, sure, but they're probably played in a different place.
Last edited by The DIsposable Hero on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey there, I'm the guy who started the Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List. Check it out!

Dakota C. (The Disposable Hero)

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

The DIsposable Hero wrote:Just trust me on the Bread of Shame thing. No way in hell back then to G# D# G# C# F A# for that song. In all the live videos I've seen, it definitely doesn't look like he's playing a baritone guitar. He's much more likely to go for the Come to Life style tuning than tune that low.
I mean the low note is only one step further down. It's not that much of a stretch. I don't know the song but the guy who tabbed it out on UG is usually pretty bang on.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Kreuger wrote:
The DIsposable Hero wrote:Just trust me on the Bread of Shame thing. No way in hell back then to G# D# G# C# F A# for that song. In all the live videos I've seen, it definitely doesn't look like he's playing a baritone guitar. He's much more likely to go for the Come to Life style tuning than tune that low.
I mean the low note is only one step further down. It's not that much of a stretch. I don't know the song but the guy who tabbed it out on UG is usually pretty bang on.
The low note (G#/Ab) is the same in both tunings. The tab book has it as a Drop D style tuned all the way down to G# (same sort of tuning as Metallica's Invisible Kid or Periphery's 7-string songs), while the tab on Ultimate Guitar (and how Mark actually plays it) is in the Come to Life/BADGBE style tuning where all your power chords are turned into octaves.
Hey there, I'm the guy who started the Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List. Check it out!

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Sorry man I misunderstood. Wasn't trying to say the tab book was right.
Scott Stapp:

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Kreuger wrote:Sorry man I misunderstood. Wasn't trying to say the tab book was right.
I know you weren't man, no worries *thumbs up*

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

After seeing the live version of Words there's no way its in an open tuning. Or at least for Mark. He's clearly playing straight power chords at times. Myles could be in an open tuning but it looks more like a drop d or something. He plays a D chord shape (relative to standard tuning) during the chorus. Not sure how well that would work in an open tuning.

https://youtu.be/fTvJ1TYORJg
Scott Stapp:

Cfrancis02002
Brand New Start

Post by Cfrancis02002 »

Arm Yourself is in A# Standard (A#,D#,G#,C#,F,A)(with a possible D# on the end, if played on a 7-string, which I believe is, based on this article. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... in_it.html

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Kreuger wrote:After seeing the live version of Words there's no way its in an open tuning. Or at least for Mark. He's clearly playing straight power chords at times. Myles could be in an open tuning but it looks more like a drop d or something. He plays a D chord shape (relative to standard tuning) during the chorus. Not sure how well that would work in an open tuning.

Not sure what you mean because power chord shapes work in that tuning. It's basically the same relationship between the third and fourth strings going on with the fifth and sixth.
Cfrancis02002 wrote:Arm Yourself is in A# Standard (A#,D#,G#,C#,F,A)(with a possible D# on the end, if played on a 7-string, which I believe is, based on this article. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... in_it.html
Show me a leader is the first and possibly only song Mark has used a 7 string on.

Cfrancis02002
Brand New Start

Post by Cfrancis02002 »

Kreuger wrote:After seeing the live version of Words there's no way its in an open tuning. Or at least for Mark. He's clearly playing straight power chords at times. Myles could be in an open tuning but it looks more like a drop d or something. He plays a D chord shape (relative to standard tuning) during the chorus. Not sure how well that would work in an open tuning.

The way both of them work is usually Mark is in an Open tuning while Myles is in a regular drop tuning. So in this case, Mark is most likely in Open Gm half step down, while Myles is in Drop D half step.

Cfrancis02002
Brand New Start

Post by Cfrancis02002 »

Cfrancis02002 wrote:Arm Yourself is in A# Standard (A#,D#,G#,C#,F,A)(with a possible D# on the end, if played on a 7-string, which I believe is, based on this article. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... in_it.html
Show me a leader is the first and possibly only song Mark has used a 7 string on.[/quote]
Alright if it’s not a 7 string it’s at least a baritone. Looks larger than his other guitars. Or he uses massive strings, which is most likely the case

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Cfrancis02002 wrote:
Show me a leader is the first and possibly only song Mark has used a 7 string on.
Alright if it’s not a 7 string it’s at least a baritone. Looks larger than his other guitars. Or he uses massive strings, which is most likely the case[/quote]

He does have his own sig baritone guitar. Also the faded blue jean one Erock uses live is one that Mark has had for years before they made his sig baritone.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Regarding “Words Darker” and “Arm Yourself” ...

Arm Yourself is 100% in C Standard tuning. The chords in that bridge part are essentially on C and C#. But they’re the open style chords that go along with a Phrygian tonality. They go like this:

It won’t sound right in a A# tuning. Plus the way the riffs are played definitely makes it in C tuning.

As for “Words Darker”, I was 90% positive it was in an Open Gb minor tuning (Db Gb Db Gb A Db), since Mark even said it himself in an interview ... *and* I asked Tremonti about it himself during a meet and greet after a Tremonti show a few years back in Arizona.
But after watching the live video, I actually think the ABIII tab book may be right on this one. The way the open strings ring out after Mark plays them indicates (Db Gb Db Gb Ab Db). And Mark’s hand movement is very little in the middle of measures. I had tabbed it out before where it moved around a lot more — and really it’s unnecessary.

Gah! I wish we knew for sure what “Words Darker” was in!!!
Last edited by The DIsposable Hero on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cfrancis02002
Brand New Start

Post by Cfrancis02002 »

The DIsposable Hero wrote:Regarding “Words Darker” and “Arm Yourself” ...

Arm Yourself is 100% in C Standard tuning.
I feel like Mark doesn’t know what tunings he uses sometimes. Like he’ll say it’s one tuning when it’s actually another. No disrespect towards him though

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Jhenrid wrote: Not sure what you mean because power chord shapes work in that tuning. It's basically the same relationship between the third and fourth strings going on with the fifth and sixth
Sorry. I was just thinking about how he usually bars a fret for open tunings. Didn't realize it still works that way. I don't usually play anything in those tunings.
Scott Stapp:

BrandNewStart
Brand New Start

Post by BrandNewStart »

I think you should have a look at what Myles' tuning for Coming Home is in. I'm pretty sure he plays it in a Drop B variation (B A D G A E) but I'm not 100% sure, it's just from what I've seen on the Live From Amsterdam performance. Great list btw, really helped me out a lot!

BrandNewStart
Brand New Start

Post by BrandNewStart »

Oh and Catching Fire is in Db Gb B E Ab Db

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Mark mentions some interesting tunings here.
Scott Stapp:

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Hello all!

I will update the list to include Wouldn't You Rather when it comes out officially tomorrow for me (EST), and as other singles come out ahead of the new album!

- Dakota

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Alright everyone - now that it’s officially out in the East Coast time zone in the U.S., I’ve been able to listen to the song.

I’m 95% positive it’s in C Standard, not Drop C. The last big chord that rings out in the end is what an F major chord with the two highest tuned strings sounds like tuned down to C. I think the technical name of the chord is Cmaj7#11, but anyhow, that’s the chord - that’s the giveaway this is in C tuning.