Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
gmetzger
Brand New Start

Re: Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

Post by gmetzger »

Silver Tongue Acoustic: https://youtu.be/RGSEgyxmnOE
Cover of Stay in Open B5: https://youtu.be/KIFFODL0nbc

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

gmetzger wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:30 am Silver Tongue Acoustic: https://youtu.be/RGSEgyxmnOE
Cover of Stay in Open B5: https://youtu.be/KIFFODL0nbc
Dang, I can't imagine learning an Alter Bridge song that fast. Also, his guitar is almost exactly the same as mine, colors and all, only mine has both pickups like the bridge pickup on his (I can't remember what that's called).

And just when I thought they went with easy tunings on this album....
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Convinced Fable is either 7 string Drop G# (unlikely) or AADGBE down a half step, basically come to life tuning but the bottom string is even further sown by a step.
Thanks Timo!

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

I was thinking Fable could be BADGBE but you all seem to think its either an A or G# so I dunno.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Its G#. I played the song originally on my 6 string tuned to Eb standard until the distorted guitars come in with the G#/Ab. Im thinking its more likely Ab-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb than a 7 string but I have a 7 string already set up to drop Ab so thats what Im learning it on.
Thanks Timo!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

gmetzger wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:08 am Silver Tongue - C# G# C# G# C# C# (Mark), C# G# C# F# A# D# (Myles)

This video confirms that Mark is indeed in Drop C#. They go from Silver Tongue straight into Addicted To Pain without switching guitars.

Maybe in the acoustic video Mark was tuned to Open C#5 for a fuller acoustic sound. I once saw an acoustic cover of Addicted To Pain in that tuning, and it sounded fuller than it would have if it was tuned to Drop C#.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Could Season Of Promise be in Drop C#? That would explain the open F# notes in the bridge, but A Major IS a strange key to have a song in when you're tuned to Drop C#.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

maximzub wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:28 am

Could Season Of Promise be in Drop C#? That would explain the open F# notes in the bridge, but A Major IS a strange key to have a song in when you're tuned to Drop C#.
I pretty sure it’s Drop C#. It’s very faint but if listen at the end of the song when Mark is sliding out of his solo he pulls off to an open string and it’s a low C#.

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

FYI I asked the guys in Munich during the soundcheck Q&A and they confirmed that Myles and Mark are in two different tunings for FOTSS:

Myles is in G# G# C# F# A# D# (basically half-step down with the low E an octave below the A-string)
Mark is in G# Standard, same as In The Deep

Happy learning!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

There's a low G# in the breakdown of The Damage Done. I have no idea where that could be coming from, since the rest of the song seems to be in Drop Bb.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

SchwiizVT12 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:55 am FYI I asked the guys in Munich during the soundcheck Q&A and they confirmed that Myles and Mark are in two different tunings for FOTSS:

Myles is in G# G# C# F# A# D# (basically half-step down with the low E an octave below the A-string)
Mark is in G# Standard, same as In The Deep

Happy learning!
Did they mention if Mark is using a 6 string or 7 string? I’ve been curious if it was a 7 since they posted a photo of one before the tour began.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

Andy92 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:53 pm Did they mention if Mark is using a 6 string or 7 string? I’ve been curious if it was a 7 since they posted a photo of one before the tour began.
6 String, that’s what he used on In The Deep (G# C# F# B D# G#). That’s an old photo from 3 years ago they just reposted.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

gmetzger wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:17 pm
Andy92 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:53 pm Did they mention if Mark is using a 6 string or 7 string? I’ve been curious if it was a 7 since they posted a photo of one before the tour began.
6 String, that’s what he used on In The Deep (G# C# F# B D# G#). That’s an old photo from 3 years ago they just reposted.
I gotcha, I just read too much into it. Probably a photo from when he used one on Show Me A Leader.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

davidstvz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:23 pm So Brian never plays in standard then? Does that also apply to the early Creed albums? They did have mostly Drop D songs, but there have always been some in standard. If this is right I’ll need to reconfigure my Indoctrination bass line for Drop D (-1) instead of Standard (-1).

Of course, the Tremonti bass players would possibly have entirely different tuning philosophies. There are a few songs in standard (-4) ... wonder what they do for those.

Thanks in any case!
Old post that I just saw.

That's strange that Brian never plays in standard. How would he play the more difficult songs in standard tunings such as One Day Remains, Ties That Bind, Peace Is Broken, and Clear Horizon?

I can confirm that Brian plays in Drop C# for the songs that the guitarists are tuned to Drop Bb. I saw them live on Saturday and Brian did not change his bass or retune for the first eight songs, while the guitarists were changing between Drop C#, Drop Bb, and Standard Eb.

He did switch basses for Stay (which was between Blackbird and Pawns & Kings, for which he played in Drop C#). Not sure why, because it's completely playable on bass in Drop C# and Myles plays it in Drop C# on guitar.

I also have no idea what's the deal with the Tremonti bassists. My Last Mistake was originally in Standard Eb, while So You're Afraid was in Standard C#. Both are now in Standard D for the guitarists. However, if you watch the video from Graspop 2022 where they played both songs one after the other, Tanner did not switch basses. Furthermore, he seemed to be playing in Drop D for So You're Afraid. What does that mean for My Last Mistake? Was he playing in Drop Eb before they tuned the song down? That doesn't make sense.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:24 pm
davidstvz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:23 pm So Brian never plays in standard then? Does that also apply to the early Creed albums? They did have mostly Drop D songs, but there have always been some in standard. If this is right I’ll need to reconfigure my Indoctrination bass line for Drop D (-1) instead of Standard (-1).

Of course, the Tremonti bass players would possibly have entirely different tuning philosophies. There are a few songs in standard (-4) ... wonder what they do for those.

Thanks in any case!

That's strange that Brian never plays in standard. How would he play the more difficult songs in standard tunings such as One Day Remains, Ties That Bind, Peace Is Broken, and Clear Horizon?

I can confirm that Brian plays in Drop C# for the songs that the guitarists are tuned to Drop Bb. I saw them live on Saturday and Brian did not change his bass or retune for the first eight songs, while the guitarists were changing between Drop C#, Drop Bb, and Standard Eb.

He did switch basses for Stay (which was between Blackbird and Pawns & Kings, for which he played in Drop C#). Not sure why, because it's completely playable on bass in Drop C# and Myles plays it in Drop C# on guitar.

I also have no idea what's the deal with the Tremonti bassists. My Last Mistake was originally in Standard Eb, while So You're Afraid was in Standard C#. Both are now in Standard D for the guitarists. However, if you watch the video from Graspop 2022 where they played both songs one after the other, Tanner did not switch basses. Furthermore, he seemed to be playing in Drop D for So You're Afraid. What does that mean for My Last Mistake? Was he playing in Drop Eb before they tuned the song down? That doesn't make sense.
Brian always plays a 5-string though, so he has extra flexibility. He doesn't always need to rely on open strings so much. He can wing quite a few songs without changing basses whilst the guitars need to change.

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

Thanks in any case!

My previous post of Brian only having 4 tunings is wrong. He has ~13 tunings. The main idea is the top 3 strings are Leah’s some form of standard, the 4th is standard or dropped d config, and the 5th string is kind of whatever he wants. I’ve got Brian’s tunings on this tuning spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... uRnWQ/edit

As for Tremonti the bass is usually matched to the guitars and if Eric recorded the parts add a 5th string to it. Live Tanner uses a pitch shifter so he can just roll with one bass the whole night.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

gmetzger wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:29 pm

Thanks in any case!

My previous post of Brian only having 4 tunings is wrong. He has ~13 tunings. The main idea is the top 3 strings are Leah’s some form of standard, the 4th is standard or dropped d config, and the 5th string is kind of whatever he wants. I’ve got Brian’s tunings on this tuning spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... uRnWQ/edit

As for Tremonti the bass is usually matched to the guitars and if Eric recorded the parts add a 5th string to it. Live Tanner uses a pitch shifter so he can just roll with one bass the whole night.
Didn't know that about Tanner. So Brian plays Stay in Drop D? I didn't know that. Couldn't he just move everything a fret up and play in Drop C# so he doesn't have to switch basses?

Off topic, but in case you didn't notice, I shared on The Random Alter Bridge Thread that I saw you in The Alter Bridge International Collaboration Project's video for This Is War. Congratulations!
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

After listening to Last Rites for the first time in a long time, I have changed my opinion on the tuning. I actually think it's in Drop C# after all and not Eb Standard. The reason I say this is because in the verses, I can hear some pull-offs on the open E string, and it goes down to C#.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:37 pm After listening to Last Rites for the first time in a long time, I have changed my opinion on the tuning. I actually think it's in Drop C# after all and not Eb Standard. The reason I say this is because in the verses, I can hear some pull-offs on the open E string, and it goes down to C#.
That sounds correct, this guy plays it:

Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp