Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
gmetzger
Brand New Start

Re: Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

Post by gmetzger »

Not a transcription, but I did a cover. Picked apart what Mark was playing from what shots we got of him playing from the music video.

https://youtu.be/NQnRVmpsdsM

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Nice man! Now it starts to make sense with those big chords in Standard E where the fifth is dropped down to the string below.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

Marching in Time sounds like both Eric and Mark are B Standard

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

davidstvz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:08 pm
SchwiizVT12 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:28 am So I did a thing over Christmas and retuned one of my guitars to G# standard and was able to recreate "In the deep" as Mark plays it live so I'm definitely going with that tuning for Mark.

In London at the guitar clinic I asked Mark about Indoctrination and what version of Drop A# he was using (whether it was a la Come to life/Broken wings etc or Tore My Heart out) and he said actually it's in standard tuned all the way down to A#... tried that on my down-tuned guitar and it works but it's so unnecessary... :facepalm
I just finished a guitar pro tab for this and posted it at UG (also have Native Son: definitely a Drop Db song):

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/al ... ro-3592310

For Indoctrination, I actually included both a Bb/A# standard transcription and a Drop Bb version. The recording has a bunch of power chords you can't really play in the Drop Bb version, so it definitely is Bb standard (I thought it was a 7-string at first, but the chords in the bridge would be really awkward on a 7-string). I think someone here said Myles played this live in Drop Bb (but what riffs did he play?). Someone posting in comments at UG insisted that they went into the Walk the Sky sessions with a lot of material separately written by Myles and Mark, and that Myles had written this song.
My apologies I completely missed this -- I actually did a cover of Indoctrination last summer as soon as I received my Tremonti Baritone and played it in A# Standard (or Bb Standard as you call it) and it sounds pretty good to me, feel free to check it out if you like:

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

gmetzger wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:06 am Marching in Time sounds like both Eric and Mark are B Standard
I'm unfortunately not working from home today and won't be home for another six hours so I haven't had a chance to dissect the song yet but you could be right. I tried to use the quiet part of the bridge as a reference and an online tuner and there's the clear low B pedal tone and but there's also a ringing D note which suggests an open string, which would suggest B Standard unless they're doing some crazy tuning. Will tinker around on my B Standard guitar when I get home and will see what I can come up with!

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

gmetzger wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:44 am Not a transcription, but I did a cover. Picked apart what Mark was playing from what shots we got of him playing from the music video.

That's a great cover.

Love your guitars and tone.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

George wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:41 am
gmetzger wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:44 am Not a transcription, but I did a cover. Picked apart what Mark was playing from what shots we got of him playing from the music video.

That's a great cover.

Love your guitars and tone.
Thanks! Appreciate it.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

SchwiizVT12 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:39 am
SchwiizVT12 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:28 am So I did a thing over Christmas and retuned one of my guitars to G# standard and was able to recreate "In the deep" as Mark plays it live so I'm definitely going with that tuning for Mark.

In London at the guitar clinic I asked Mark about Indoctrination and what version of Drop A# he was using (whether it was a la Come to life/Broken wings etc or Tore My Heart out) and he said actually it's in standard tuned all the way down to A#... tried that on my down-tuned guitar and it works but it's so unnecessary... :facepalm
I just finished a guitar pro tab for this and posted it at UG (also have Native Son: definitely a Drop Db song):

For Indoctrination, I actually included both a Bb/A# standard transcription and a Drop Bb version. The recording has a bunch of power chords you can't really play in the Drop Bb version, so it definitely is Bb standard (I thought it was a 7-string at first, but the chords in the bridge would be really awkward on a 7-string). I think someone here said Myles played this live in Drop Bb (but what riffs did he play?). Someone posting in comments at UG insisted that they went into the Walk the Sky sessions with a lot of material separately written by Myles and Mark, and that Myles had written this song.
My apologies I completely missed this -- I actually did a cover of Indoctrination last summer as soon as I received my Tremonti Baritone and played it in A# Standard (or Bb Standard as you call it) and it sounds pretty good to me, feel free to check it out if you like:

Sounds great man!

I don't recall if I posted a follow up for this post, but I'm 100% convinced at this point that Mark is in A# standard for Indoctrination and G# standard (that's 4 steps down) for In the Deep (no 7 string guitars). Myles' live parts for In the Deep are played in Drop C# (and he does make use of the 6th string). It's very clearly Drop C# as he uses the open 6th string and the open 1st string in ways that require that tuning exactly. There is still no known complete live performance of Indoctrination that I know of. I imagine Myles would use a Drop A# guitar for that, though if he left the rhythm parts entirely to Mark he could use almost any tuning (either Eb standard or Drop C# would be likely).

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

Now that I'm home I sat with my B standard guitar and have worked out the whole Mark part of the song minus the solo, so would concur with gmetzger that at least Mark's part for the song is in B-standard (and given there aren't any crazy high notes on Eric's so would make sense that he's in B Standard too).

Edit;
Worked out the solo too now, but it's not easy playing legato runs on gauge 14-68 strings!!
Last edited by SchwiizVT12 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

davidstvz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:26 pm
SchwiizVT12 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:39 am

Sounds great man!

I don't recall if I posted a follow up for this post, but I'm 100% convinced at this point that Mark is in A# standard for Indoctrination and G# standard (that's 4 steps down) for In the Deep (no 7 string guitars). Myles' live parts for In the Deep are played in Drop C# (and he does make use of the 6th string). It's very clearly Drop C# as he uses the open 6th string and the open 1st string in ways that require that tuning exactly. There is still no known complete live performance of Indoctrination that I know of. I imagine Myles would use a Drop A# guitar for that, though if he left the rhythm parts entirely to Mark he could use almost any tuning (either Eb standard or Drop C# would be likely).
Thanks so much man!

I absolutely agree, Mark is 100% in G# Standard for "In The Deep" and Myles is in 100% in Drop C# for the same song (live at least). I guess we'll see how they play "Indoctrination" live (if ever), but I would suspect Myles is in Dropped A# (i.e. Come To Life, Broken Wings etc) while Mark plays in A# Standard.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Yep, that is the most sensible. And at some point, if a band uses 30 different tunings, who really cares how they recorded it, as long as the tabs we come up with sound authentic!

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

A World Away, thoughts on tunings? Eric said he was in Drop G# (G# D# G# C# F A#). But Mark seems to be in a different tuning. I’m thinking Open G#5 (G# D# G# D# G# G#).

Edit: Just watched the performance video and all of the shapes line up with Open G#5 for Mark. If you are wondering how all of those work out I put out a cover video where you can see more clearly than the live video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-NG68xR4u4

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Any guesses on the tunings on the new release?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

Now and Forever (A# D# G# C# F A#)
Thrown Further (E A D G B E)
Let That Be Us (B E A D F# B)
The Last One of Us (E A D G B E)
In One Piece (D A D G B E) Maybe D Standard?
Under the Sun (D A D G B E)
Not Afraid to Lose (Mark: C# G# C# F G# C#) (Eric: C# G# C# F# A# D#)
Bleak (C F A# D# G C)
Would You Kill (C# G# C# F# A# D#)

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

gmetzger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:36 pm Now and Forever (A# D# G# C# F A#)
Thrown Further (E A D G B E)
Let That Be Us (B E A D F# B)
The Last One of Us (E A D G B E)
In One Piece (D A D G B E) Maybe D Standard?
Under the Sun (D A D G B E)
Not Afraid to Lose (Mark: C# G# C# F G# C#) (Eric: C# G# C# F# A# D#)
Bleak (C F A# D# G C)
Would You Kill (C# G# C# F# A# D#)
I haven't sat down with my guitar for all the songs but I'd say most of these are right-- though I'd be inclined to say Let That Be Us is Drop B (B F# B E G# C#) rather than B Standard on account of the pedal tone B-string that you can hear in the instrumental part of the bridge (it's not the low B string but an octave higher, and the only way to play that would be on the 7th fret in B Standard, but you wouldn't be able to play the higher notes of the bridge with the note ringing out as it does on the record if you tried it that way).

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Don't know if it's relevant, but Tremonti played So You're Afraid in Standard D on the Marching In Time livestream (as opposed to Standard C#).
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

He’s been playing So You’re Afraid yo a half step this whole tour. I wonder if that was the song was supposed to be originally, but his vocals have only just now gotten to be able to do that.

gmetzger
Brand New Start

Post by gmetzger »

I’ve been wondering whether or not Let That Be Us is Drop B or not, the only thing that makes me think it’s not it’s the shapes for those patterns of five in the solo become really weird with only 5 strings in Standard.

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

gmetzger wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:08 am I’ve been wondering whether or not Let That Be Us is Drop B or not, the only thing that makes me think it’s not it’s the shapes for those patterns of five in the solo become really weird with only 5 strings in Standard.
If I've worked out the patterns of five correctly, I think it's actually easier in Drop B than B Standard (since I only hear the lowest string being used at the start of the ascending run, but not when he comes back down the scale). Might be wrong though. :shrug

TheLastHero
Bought The CDs

Post by TheLastHero »

This is literally the most helpful thing I've read all year. Thanks for helping us all!