How does one acquire such a collection?

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
DeadCell
Come To Life

How does one acquire such a collection?

Post by DeadCell »

Decided to look around a bit on ebay, specifically to drool over Private Stock PRS'. There is a guy on there who says he's not "a dealer" but "a collector" and all the guitars he sells are from his private collection.

This guy has at least $200,000 in private stock PRS guitars (not including other brands that I didn't look at).

I know there are millionaires and billionaires out there, but I can't even fathom owning ONE (yes ONE, 1, UNO) private stock PRS. Heck, I can't even afford a USA PRS guitar (would love to have a Tremonti in charcoal burst or faded bluejean :pout).

http://www.ebay.com/usr/blackrose289?_t ... 7675.l2559
Last edited by DeadCell on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: How does one acquire such a collection?

Post by Dolo »

Dude, I can't even afford a stock PRS SE guitar. I bought my second-hand Tremonti SE a few years back and the price was less than 50% of a regular, stock one.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

JustinVaughnTaylor
Brand New Start

Post by JustinVaughnTaylor »

Sad reality is... there are lots of rich people in this country who have went to school many years and/or inherited wealth. They collect things (i.e. guitars) with their spare cash. Even though they may never have the time to play them.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

JustinVaughnTaylor wrote:Sad reality is... there are lots of rich people in this country who have went to school many years and/or inherited wealth. They collect things (i.e. guitars) with their spare cash. Even though they may never have the time to play them.
Hey man! How come you don't do vids anymore?

rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rockit2112 »

I think it's fine that guys like that buy those guitars, you should be allowed to have as many as you want. But I just can't stand guys who buy fantastic guitars and lock them up in a glass case and never play them. Guitars are meant to be played dammit!

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

I didn't even know about these. $12,000 for a guitar? No thanks. They're over priced as it is, if you ask me.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I get that a rich guy might have an indulgent collection...but he has almost 200 for sale alone. It makes no sense. I doubt Paul Reed Smith himself has anywhere close to that many.

Odd how so many out of his personal collection would be for sale though. He's either given up on guitars period or needs money or something.

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

wife prob told him to sell them off lol.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

There's a guy on the PRS forums (not official forums), Markie, he's got tons of private stock and regular PRS guitars. I've always wondered what he does too. I guess it's no different than a car collector and the like. Have you seen Jay Leno's car collection?
Photobucket cash grab.