The DRUM Thread

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
JaredWard
Blood Machines

The DRUM Thread

Post by JaredWard »

How many drummers do we have?? Feel free to post your set-up, influences, tips & tricks, etc.

My set-up:

DW Performance Series (Black Mirra) (10/12/16/24)
Evans Heads
DW Pedals/Hardware (9000)
Vic Firth Sticks
Roc N' Soc Throne

Snares:

6.5x14 Ludwig Black Beauty
6.5x14 Pearl Free Floater
6.5x14 Yamaha Brass
6x14 Pork Pie Acrylic

Zildjian Cymbals:

8in. A Custom Splash
10in. K Splash
12in. Oriental China Trash
14in. A Custom Hi-Hat top / Quickbeat bottom
16in. A Custom Crash
18in. Projection Crash
18in. A Custom Crash
18in. A Custom China
20in. A Custom Ping Ride

This picture is fairly recent (March of last year) but doesn't have all of the cymbals I'm currently using...

Influences:

Gavin Harrison
Mike Mangini
Garrett Whitlock
Scott Phillips (96-04)
Jose Pasillas
Will Hunt
Morgan Rose
Dino Campanella
Lester Estelle
Mike Portnoy
Zia Uddin
Alex Van Halen
etc.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: The DRUM Thread

Post by Andy92 »

Starter kit. Some company....Excel I think they are. 5 piece kit with 2 cymbals. I broke my only crash. :)
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

And lol.
JaredWard wrote: Scott Phillips (96-04)
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I've been playing for two years, I play on a fairly decent electronic drum kit, mainly because I don't have the space for an acoustic and I won't be able to make all that noise, the kit I've got is a Yamaha DTX530k, the snare on it is fantastic, almost like a real snare, just softer and smaller, obviously. The cymbals are alright, I've got a moveable hi-hat that works quite well, the only thing I dislike about it is that went you step on the peddle to get that "chick" sound it feel quite soft. The other two cymbals are ok, the ride on the bell is pretty difficult to activate, the trigger area could do with being a bit bigger, but I've heard the Roland kits also have the same problem, another thing with the ride is that I keep on accidently hitting the edge of the cymbal, activating a different sound, but that's probably more to do with my technique, and I could adjust the sensitivity if I wanted to. The worst thing about the kit is the toms, by far, they're just the standard rubber ones, I could have paid a bit more money to get some more decent pads, but they do the job.

My favourite drummer is Matt Cameron, then Brann Dailor, Charlie Benante, Mike Mangini, Mike Portnoy, Sean Kinney, Dave Abrubbezese (not sure if I spelt his name right..), and possibly Scott Phillips, he's definately an influence, but he's not in the same league as the others I've listed. I play along to mostly Pearl Jam, it's a shame because I just don't get the practice time to learn many songs, and I must have a list of about two dozens I want to learn, but just can't due to time.

For my birthday I was given Rick Latham's Advanced Funk Studies, and this book is amazing, I don't listen to funk, but I've always liked the drumming style that goes along with it, and drummers like Dave Abbrubezese who incorporate funk into their rock drumming. Some of the beats in this book are really cool, stuff I would have never thought about playing, and my style is definately more funk focused now.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Andy92 wrote:And lol.
JaredWard wrote: Scott Phillips (96-04)
No laughing!!! jk :)

itaughttremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by itaughttremonti »

Drum heads: what are some tips for tuning the drums? I usually just let the drummer do his thing when tracking but I wanna lay down some of my own stuff so
I need the tuning tips. Show me what ya got...

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I've never tuned a drum kit, due to me playing an electric kit pretty much all of the time, so I can't offer any kits. I suggest you watch this video http://www.drumlessons.com/drum-lessons ... our-drums/. Those guys are usually pretty helpful, here's an article you may find useful http://www.freedrumlessons.com/articles/how-to-tune.php. I thought they had an entire series of videos on how to tune drums, but maybe I was wrong. Those links should help, if not there's plenty more material on the internet about tuning drums.

Also, there's a ridiculous amount of useful material just on those two sites alone for general drumming, I'd recommend them to anyone.

itaughttremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by itaughttremonti »

Thanks for the vids. Really wanna tackle drumming in the coming months...