Master Tab List

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Master Tab List

Post by davidstvz »

I had an idea, from the master tuning list thread, to make a master tab list with a list of links to the best tabs for each song. We can also discuss corrections for any tabs that aren't quite right.

If anyone would like to recommend tabs please do so. They don't need to be perfect, but please vet for quality and completeness. They can be in tunings that don't match the album if they play well and have accurate pitch and chords. Unless mentioned otherwise, assume that Guitar Pro tabs have all instruments transcribed (more or less) accurately. If a secondary tab is needed for a good bass transcription, then we can add that. Tremonti, Creed and Myles tabs are also welcome.

Song names are listed with Mark and Myles tunings (based on best available evidence), then tabs are listed below with notes. If tuning isn't mentioned for the individual tab link, assume it's in the listed album tuning.

Alter Bridge - Walk the Sky
1. One Life: Drop D (-2)
No tabs yet (it's not really a guitar song, but a chords tab could be made at least)
2. Wouldn't You Rather: Drop D (-2) * I will post all 3 currently available tabs since none are perfect
Text tab of acoustic performance; intro only by william_wright. Seems accurate.
Text tab by jjhand. Intro uses wrong octave and string locations. Maybe other problems.
Guitar pro by KLAKLAWES. No dynamics at all (no bends or slides). Could be good with some clean-up.
3. In the Deep: Mark in Standard (-8) and Myles in Drop D (-1)
Chords tab arranged for Standard (-3) by davidstvz
Guitar Pro in album tunings and with an arrangement for Drop B (-3) by davidstvz
4. God Speed: Standard (-1)
Text tab by jjhand. Seems generally correct, but some complex chords are simplified or wrong
5. Native Son: Drop D (-1)
Text tab in album tuning by davidstvz
Guitar Pro in album tuning by davidstvz
6. Take the Crown: Drop D (-1)
Guitar Pro by amj77. Seems accurate and there are no other GP options.
7. Indoctrination: Mark in Standard (-6) and Myles in Drop B (-1)
Text tab arrangement for Drop B (-1) by jjhand
Guitar Pro with both rhythm and lead parts arranged for both tunings by davidstvz
8. The Bitter End: Drop B (-1)
Chords tab by nikog2. Missing musical interlude chords and verses could be more complex.
9. Pay No Mind: Drop D (-1)
Text tab by jonathan.emson. It seems fairly accurate
10. Forever Falling: Mark in Standard (-3) Myles in Drop D (-1)
Text tab of rhythm and solo in Mark's album tuning by gmetzger20
11. Clear Horizon: Standard (-2)
Text tab by jjhand. Seems fairly accurate
12. Walking on the Sky: Standard (-1)
No tabs yet.
13. Tear Us Apart: Standard (-1)
Text tab by roach34. I haven't reviewed this at all yet.
14. Dying Light: Open G (-1) (or possibly Open Gm (-1))
Solo-only tab also with verse lick by piyush66848. Uses Open G (-1).
15. Last Rites: Standard (-1)
No tabs yet.

Tremonti - A Dying Machine
4. Trust: Unique tuning where the guitar is -3 half-steps but the low E string is only -1.
Guitar pro by amj77 in correct tuning.
-Based on other tabs by this author, pitches will be accurate but string choice may not be. Bass may be iffy.
Last edited by davidstvz on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:35 am, edited 15 times in total.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Master Tab List

Post by davidstvz »

And I'll continue discussion of my ongoing attempt to tab In the Deep. It's such a challenge deciding which part is on which guitar, especially when they don't play it quite the same live as on the album. Suggestions are welcome.

My latest version should always be at this link until I finish it and submit it as a public tab:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/user/t ... OIeXsT12zd

I've made changes to the chords of the intro/chorus riff after scrutinizing footage of Mark playing it. It's only a little different, but it sounds much better and is easier to play.

Watching the live footage, Mark is playing that pre-chorus single note part and Myles seems to be strumming, so I may need to retranscribe it. However, I thought I heard low pitched chugging too though, so I had assumed that was recorded on the baritone with Myles doing the single note part. I'll probably end up including a 0-volume/muted arrangement for Drop C# with that riff as is, but it would be nice to have the studio parts correct.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Finished my In the Deep tab. The album rhythm part is in G# standard (4 whole steps down) and Myles plays in Drop D a half step down live (which makes his 6th string equal to Mark’s 5th), but none of the lead parts even require the lower strings.

Mark’s tuning is a pain so I also includes an arrangement for Drop B (-3) which combines parts from the rhythm and lead. If you’re not playing with the album it sounds good in Drop B standard or a half step down too.

I’ll probably start including more approachable tuning arrangements for all of my AB tabs.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

davidstvz wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:56 pm Finished my In the Deep tab. The album rhythm part is in G# standard (4 whole steps down) and Myles plays in Drop D a half step down live (which makes his 6th string equal to Mark’s 5th), but none of the lead parts even require the lower strings.

Mark’s tuning is a pain so I also includes an arrangement for Drop B (-3) which combines parts from the rhythm and lead. If you’re not playing with the album it sounds good in Drop B standard or a half step down too.

I’ll probably start including more approachable tuning arrangements for all of my AB tabs.
This may help you double check Mark a bit, this was soundcheck from raleigh 2019

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Thanks, I was working from 3 live videos that showed up at the top of a search, so this is a 4th source. So far it is confirming what I'd finally tabbed, though this video shows it more clearly than ever. Some of the trickiest parts are the chords that Mark is playing in the chorus. It sounds simple enough until you try to play it. To be honest, I prefer the version I made for alternate tuning... it's easier and sounds almost the same.

One thing that may be wrong in my tab is Mark's lick in measure 110. It *sounds* right in playback, but Mark is using lower strings every time he plays it live. I haven't been able to pin down exactly which ones. I would guess he's playing the same thing he did on the album, but not producing the same artificial harmonics. So if I can get the strings right from his live performance, I may be able to get the harmonics right in the tab. The measure has 8 notes in 4 pairs. The second note of each pair almost sounds like it could be an open string in the live performance, but what I hear in the album doesn't seem to allow for that. So, I just don't know!

EDIT: And actually I'm still a bit uncertain about one part of the chorus. Each grouping of chords is two chords back and forth. Most seem to be octave, fifth, mute, 4th with Mark using his pinky to swap between the 4th and major 3rd.

The third grouping however is a bit trickier. He keeps the same root as the second group (10th fret) and then it sounds like he's switching between the 3rd and the 2nd like so:

-x-10-x-0-12-x

-x-10-x-0-10-x

However, he finger position doesn't seem to work for this 100%. He almost appears to be using a bar on the 10th fret, so that would make open strings impossible, and muting very difficult unless he's using one of his other fingers, but they seem to be straight out into the air.

EDIT2: Ok I take it back. I DO have that part right. I just verified it for certain. However, I had the third chord in the opening riff incorrect. Instead of 10 x 0 10 it's 10 9 0 10 in the sound check vid you just posted and that sounds correct for the album too. I also just realized that Myles isn't playing muted notes in the opening lick, he's playing open notes on the 6th string. That's actually much easier to play, so that's a big improvement.

I'll update my tab with the two corrections shortly. Now I just need to figure what Mark is really playing in measure 110.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

davidstvz wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:58 am Thanks, I was working from 3 live videos that showed up at the top of a search, so this is a 4th source. So far it is confirming what I'd finally tabbed, though this video shows it more clearly than ever. Some of the trickiest parts are the chords that Mark is playing in the chorus. It sounds simple enough until you try to play it. To be honest, I prefer the version I made for alternate tuning... it's easier and sounds almost the same.

One thing that may be wrong in my tab is Mark's lick in measure 110. It *sounds* right in playback, but Mark is using lower strings every time he plays it live. I haven't been able to pin down exactly which ones. I would guess he's playing the same thing he did on the album, but not producing the same artificial harmonics. So if I can get the strings right from his live performance, I may be able to get the harmonics right in the tab. The measure has 8 notes in 4 pairs. The second note of each pair almost sounds like it could be an open string in the live performance, but what I hear in the album doesn't seem to allow for that. So, I just don't know!

EDIT: And actually I'm still a bit uncertain about one part of the chorus. Each grouping of chords is two chords back and forth. Most seem to be octave, fifth, mute, 4th with Mark using his pinky to swap between the 4th and major 3rd.

The third grouping however is a bit trickier. He keeps the same root as the second group (10th fret) and then it sounds like he's switching between the 3rd and the 2nd like so:

-x-10-x-0-12-x

-x-10-x-0-10-x

However, he finger position doesn't seem to work for this 100%. He almost appears to be using a bar on the 10th fret, so that would make open strings impossible, and muting very difficult unless he's using one of his other fingers, but they seem to be straight out into the air.

EDIT2: Ok I take it back. I DO have that part right. I just verified it for certain. However, I had the third chord in the opening riff incorrect. Instead of 10 x 0 10 it's 10 9 0 10 in the sound check vid you just posted and that sounds correct for the album too. I also just realized that Myles isn't playing muted notes in the opening lick, he's playing open notes on the 6th string. That's actually much easier to play, so that's a big improvement.

I'll update my tab with the two corrections shortly. Now I just need to figure what Mark is really playing in measure 110.
is the measure you're talking about at 2:23-2:26 part of this vid

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Yes, right there at 2:25 seconds or so. That small lead lick he plays right before the second half of the bridge begins.

It almost seems like he's playing this live:

Code: Select all

------------------
------------------
-------------9----
-----7---9--------
-7-0---0---0---0--
------------------
But I feel like I'm not hearing those open notes on the album, and he would have to be playing some very tight harmonics to get the pitches that high (it's possible though).

Or maybe he's playing this with artificial harmonics

------------------
------------------
-------------9----
-----7---9-----9--
-7-0---7---7------
------------------

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

it looks like he may be hitting the 12th fret at the tail end live.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Yes, his pinky is deliberately going to the 12th fret. However, I think I'm hearing the following notes, with the last 4 notes being harmonics:

------------------
------------------
-----9-------9----
-7-----9-7-----9--
---7-------7------
------------------
Maybe he's hovering his finger over the 12th fret to produce a harmonic for that last note which I'm hearing on the 9th fret. That would make sense because he's up-down picking and for my money it's almost impossible to produce an artificial harmonic on an upstroke with the right hand. (I just realized I have no idea what to call a harmonic of this kind; I guess it's "artificial" since it's from a fretted note though it may be produced more similar to how natural harmonics are produced).

EDIT:

Also, I just updated the list with my In the Deep chords tab. It's for C# standard which is a bit easier to tune to than G# standard. By the way, if anyone wants to recommend tabs for any other songs, please do so. I haven't had a chance to sit down and vet other authors tabs for quality.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I added the first tabs by authors other than myself to the list (text tabs for Forever Falling and Indoctrination). There are limited tabs for Walk the Sky so far, so it's easy to just add the best one available. The earlier albums will require more scrutiny.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I added the best available Walk the Sky tabs to the list. Some of these have questionable parts and could use correcting, but it's all we have at the moment. I didn't post any that were obviously really bad.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Ive found that most of the tabs by jjhand are pretty good though not always perfect.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Yes, they're not bad at all. I mean, if I'm striving for perfection it's less than perfect, but typically anyone who posts a tab to ultimate-guitar... a 4 star tab is as bad as it gets. Any tab author that tried at all will get you 90% of the way there.