Myles' Signature Sound - Trichorus Lead Lines

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Crumbso
On The Rail

Myles' Signature Sound - Trichorus Lead Lines

Post by Crumbso »

So, Myles often uses his old Line 6 MM4 on the trichorus setting to put these massive expansive-sounding chords or lines into songs (Intro to Ghost, intro Brand New Start, intro to In the Deep etc).

I was wondering. What is a good pedal for replicating this without taking up half an entire pedalboard with the ancient Line 6 pedal? Also, does he put the chorus before or after the preamp? It just hit me that this is a huge part of the AB sound but there's not much info on it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Myles' Signature Sound - Trichorus Lead Lines

Post by Andy92 »

I haven’t used it myself, but maybe look into the Eventide TriceraChorus. Looks like they have it as a pedal as well as a plug-in.

I’m not sure where Myles places his in the chain. I know it’s generally common to put modulation effects in the loop, but I’ve seen chorus go before the preamp in some rigs before.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:40 pm I haven’t used it myself, but maybe look into the Eventide TriceraChorus. Looks like they have it as a pedal as well as a plug-in.

I’m not sure where Myles places his in the chain. I know it’s generally common to put modulation effects in the loop, but I’ve seen chorus go before the preamp in some rigs before.
That looks interesting, thanks for that. Also looks like a slightly cheaper alternative to the Strymon Ola that I was also looking into. I'd love a chance to actually ask Myles about it somehow. It's such an enormous part of the texture of many AB songs, and I've not really heard implementations like it in other bands.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

After listening to quite a few live vids. I'm fairly certain Myles has this place before the pre-amp and just varies the level of distortion to get more/less clarity.

EDIT: I found a brand new Strymon Ola for used prices on a Black Friday deal. I'll report back after some experimenting and see what I find out.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Strymon makes good stuff. Curious to find out if you can tweak it to get those sounds.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Strymon in place. Experiments and results to follow:

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Looking forward to hearing some clips and seeing how it sounds!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Okay, so. Here is my result:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DjdkAB ... sp=sharing

The tri-chorus is a big part of it but there are a couple more things that need to go on top before it comes to life. The chain is:

Guitar > Amp (distorted tone) > Tri-Chorus > Tremolo > Reverb > Further Distortion/Saturation (slight) > Delay

The chorus gives it the main tone and the tremolo gives it some movement. The reverb needs to be slightly distorted to glue it to the main tone and the delay gives it more width. I think most cases of MK using the tri-chorus on record come with some tremolo as well. Maybe that's not the case live though.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

You’re definitely getting really close with that. I hadn’t thought about it much until you made this thread, but that is a big part of their sound that stands out as unique.

Hope you enjoy using the pedal! Love Strymon stuff but had never looked into their tri-chorus before.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:59 pm You’re definitely getting really close with that. I hadn’t thought about it much until you made this thread, but that is a big part of their sound that stands out as unique.

Hope you enjoy using the pedal! Love Strymon stuff but had never looked into their tri-chorus before.
Yeah. Myles just adds so much colour to songs that would otherwise be less distinctive and it occurred to me that I had no idea how to replicate that.

I can highly recommend the Strymon.