Slash ft. MK & The Conspirators "WORLD ON FIRE"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Slash ft. MK & The Conspirators "WORLD ON FIRE"

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

vmt7007 wrote:The CD is 77 minutes according to Slash's fanclub guy that knows everything from the GNR board. He was at the listening party in London tonight.

They used just about every minute available it seems. Should be something for everyone with 17 tracks.
That's pretty much the BB and AB III lengths with their 16-17 songs so this sounds very good,

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Apparently according to setlist.fm Slash and Myles played an acoustic set including a new song Born to Fly inside the House of Commons, cool venue :lol

I'm a bit concerned about the length of the album to be honest, I just hope it makes for a good album listening experience. The only album to be of that length and still be fantastic start to finish is Soundgarden's Superunknown. Not to turn this into a debate about AB, but you've got to be a superfan to be able to listen to BB and ABIII back to front, so much filler on both albums.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

What defines as a filler, really? To some listeners, one listener's filler may be one person's favorite song. I rather skip their tracks than rather have them remove songs off the album itself. Yeah, there was that whole ABIII debate thing where people wanted some of the songs off of the album and some people, I think it was Brian, that wanted to keep so they did and it probably worked out for the best.

vmt7007
TABN.com Citizen

Post by vmt7007 »

California Breed ( Glenn Hugues new Band) will open for Slash on the UK dates in November ! No idea about the rest of the EU Tour !

That's from Slash's web guy on the GNR forum.

Myles must be fired up. He and Glenn developed quite a bromance last year in South Africa.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

vmt7007 wrote:
California Breed ( Glenn Hugues new Band) will open for Slash on the UK dates in November ! No idea about the rest of the EU Tour !

That's from Slash's web guy on the GNR forum.

Myles must be fired up. He and Glenn developed quite a bromance last year in South Africa.
SWEET MERCY! YES! Cool. Their self-titled album is pretty rocking. I think they are more than suitable to open for Myles/Slash/Conspirators.

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

Glenn Hughes opening for Myles Kennedy, who is the frontman for Slash.

I hope Myles' head is fine. All his dreams are coming true one by one.
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I'm sure Myles remains humble through all this.
Thanks Timo!

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

anguyen92 wrote:What defines as a filler, really? To some listeners, one listener's filler may be one person's favorite song. I rather skip their tracks than rather have them remove songs off the album itself. Yeah, there was that whole ABIII debate thing where people wanted some of the songs off of the album and some people, I think it was Brian, that wanted to keep so they did and it probably worked out for the best.
1000x this!! especially the bolded part! I've hated that term "filler" for a long time. I feel like it's what people use to describe songs they don't like. I thinks it's also disrespectful for the band. it insinuates that they just threw a song together to take up space on the album, which I highly doubt either AB or SMK&C even consider. if there isn't at least someone going to bat for the song, it wouldn't make the album. I can't see either group putting a song together/putting it on the album just to take up space. maybe in retrospect, the AB guys aren't as happy with ABIII as they are with Fortress or Bb, but remember why they ended up with that many songs on the album. they each stood by songs they wanted on the album and in the end it got hard to cut, so the album was longer than they intended. I'm glad they did, and have no doubts that all 17 songs of World on Fire will be great!

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Album art really freaks me out, but makes me curious at the same time! Any idea when the single will be released?
Thanks Andy!

vmt7007
TABN.com Citizen

Post by vmt7007 »

Micky wrote:Album art really freaks me out, but makes me curious at the same time! Any idea when the single will be released?
june 13th.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

uctalum01 wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:What defines as a filler, really? To some listeners, one listener's filler may be one person's favorite song. I rather skip their tracks than rather have them remove songs off the album itself. Yeah, there was that whole ABIII debate thing where people wanted some of the songs off of the album and some people, I think it was Brian, that wanted to keep so they did and it probably worked out for the best.
1000x this!! especially the bolded part! I've hated that term "filler" for a long time. I feel like it's what people use to describe songs they don't like. I thinks it's also disrespectful for the band. it insinuates that they just threw a song together to take up space on the album, which I highly doubt either AB or SMK&C even consider. if there isn't at least someone going to bat for the song, it wouldn't make the album. I can't see either group putting a song together/putting it on the album just to take up space. maybe in retrospect, the AB guys aren't as happy with ABIII as they are with Fortress or Bb, but remember why they ended up with that many songs on the album. they each stood by songs they wanted on the album and in the end it got hard to cut, so the album was longer than they intended. I'm glad they did, and have no doubts that all 17 songs of World on Fire will be great!
When not everybody in a band fully stands behind a song, I think it shouldn't be on the album, especially if the album is already very long. If you are not going to play the song live or aknowledge the existence of the song I don't think you should release it on the album. B-sides and bonus tracks are something completely different of course. They could've thrown Save Me on ODR for the fans, but it would've made the album less enjoyable.

There's also nothing wrong with the term "filler". I love Life Must Go On, even though I think it shouldn't have been on the album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

They obviously don't think songs like Breathe Again and Make It Right are up to par with their other material. It's okay to not think every song they do is perfect.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I understand what everyone is saying, of course 'filler' is a subjective term, but everything music related is subjective. I would honestly rather have a more concise, focused album than an album filled with almost everything they recorded for that album. While there's nothing wrong with skipping the songs you dislike, I feel having weaker songs detracts from the album listening experience as a whole. Once again, I know it's all subjective, but that's not a justification for throwing everything into an album.

Also, just developing on Andy's point, I think it's reasonable that songs like One By One, Break me Down, Breathe Again and Make it Right may get the 'filler' tag when on the whole there's the least liked songs by people on this board and receive little acknowledgement from the band. And obviously you're bound to get a few people who claim those songs are their favourite or whatever.
Last edited by BSC on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

There's also the idea that an album is more than the sum of its parts. While they might record some great songs, they might not all fit or cohere together on one album so sometimes its best to remove good songs for the sake of the album as a whole. If you just see the album as a bag of songs, then you'd want everything possible thrown in there but if you see the album as a work unto itself, then you might want only certain songs to be selected.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Nick wrote:There's also the idea that an album is more than the sum of its parts. While they might record some great songs, they might not all fit or cohere together on one album so sometimes its best to remove good songs for the sake of the album as a whole. If you just see the album as a bag of songs, then you'd want everything possible thrown in there but if you see the album as a work unto itself, then you might want only certain songs to be selected.
:yeahthat
Thanks Andy!

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

vmt7007 wrote:
Micky wrote:Album art really freaks me out, but makes me curious at the same time! Any idea when the single will be released?
june 13th.
My son's birthday. :)
Photobucket cash grab.

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

All I'm gonna say is that I don't think ANY song on AB3 detracts from the album. I would remove absolutely no songs from it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Kreuger33 wrote:All I'm gonna say is that I don't think ANY song on AB3 detracts from the album. I would remove absolutely no songs from it.
Word.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

It is amazing that Slash is releasing an album during "AB time." Slash has every right to do that. I am eager to hear the album. I just don't like how it is taking time away from AB. Just imagine if Creed decided to release an album this year and took time away from AB. People here would be flipping out. But it seems like it is ok for Slash to do it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I mean it's probably going to sound great and it's going to be in my fave five albums of the year, but, yeah, it feels like there's so many things AB could do for this album cycle that having this Slash album could hinder. We just have to learn to live with this realization like all the million other f'en things to live with but don't want to realize but have to.

I would say that for any other project, including the Tremonti project which I like the most out of the non-AB projects the guys got going.