Do you think Myles' singing with Slash is annoying ?

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
joey78
TABN.com Citizen

Do you think Myles' singing with Slash is annoying ?

Post by joey78 »

The new album thread on Sludge and here's a few comments.

Myles' voice gets old very quickly.
As usual, people are going to bitch about it being more of the same, and then those same people turn around and bitch about it when an artist changes their sound. It sounds like Slash. If you don't like Slash, you're not going to like it. That being said, yeah, Myles is annoying.
I finished the whole thing and I think it's a really solid rock album. Tons of great guitar stuff and I like the production. Guitars right up front. I don't hear anything "operatic" from Myles, he's singing right out of his fucking nose. If Slash got Rod Jackson from Ain't Life Grand back and recorded these songs with him, it'd be really fucking great.
I also still can't stand Myles Kennedy's voice. In Satan from South Park terms, Axl is Saddam Hussein and Myles is Chris. When it comes to good rock music, give me a misfit pain in the ass with grit and vision over a perfectly serviceable yes-man any day.

I will never take anything away from Slash as a lead guitar player and a badass performer. But a songwriter, bandleader, and artistic visionary he is most definitely not. I think only Ace Frehley is more of an artistically stunted caricature of himself at this point.
That's my big annoyance with Myles, though. He sounds great in Alter Bridge. But as soon as he gets with Slash, he tries to do the annoying Axl thing, and gets all nasal and whiney. If he sang like did with AB, it wouldn't be so bad. Granted, the music Slash is writing doesn't really suit the darker singing, either.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Do you think Myles' singing with Slash is annoying ?

Post by Timotheus »

Want me to copy a bunch of comments that think he sounds great?

Anyway, I prefer his full voice over his nasal voice, but I can't remember any moments on World On Fire where his voice bugged me.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

joey78
TABN.com Citizen

Post by joey78 »

Timotheus wrote:Want me to copy a bunch of comments that think he sounds great?

Anyway, I prefer his full voice over his nasal voice, but I can't remember any moments on World On Fire where his voice bugged me.
Personally I prefer when he sings in a lower register. I cannot stand the higher register that he employs on songs like Hard and Fast.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

I think Myles should stop singing with Slash. Because because because

LouNRoses
Brand New Start

Post by LouNRoses »

Well, seen many reviews of the album and people really liked it ... It got almost 9/10 everywhere. But of course, it can't please everyone !

You can't say Myles is bad with Slash. I'd just say Alter Bridge fits him better.

I may just agree with the comments about the GnR songs... People can say what they want, nobody can sing like Axl. Not even Myles ... Some songs even sound pretty bad live.
But we can't really blame Myles, cause he can sing anything else perfectly... That "He's the worst singer in modern rock music" made me laugh. Who wrote that sure never gave him a serious listen.
Hold on for your life, because Only the Strong Survive.
20.06.10 / 12.07.11 / 02.10.11 / 05.10.11 / 20.10.12 / 24.10.13 / 05.11.13 / 21.06.14 / 27.06.14

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I didn't like how he sounded on Apocalyptic Love, but World on Fire is pretty awesome.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

ABFan34
Bought The CDs

Post by ABFan34 »

He definitely sounds better on World on Fire than on Apocalyptic Love. I still don't think he was that bad on Apocalyptic Love though, I really like that album. I agree that he sounds better in the context of Alter Bridge, however.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

I have no problem with myles' singing style with slash.

But I do find it annoying that instead of primarily focusing on touring and promoting AB this year, Myles spent a significant chunk of time with slash. Slash could have waited until 2015. But this is a different issue.

LouNRoses
Brand New Start

Post by LouNRoses »

Indeed ... If Slash didn't want to make new music & tour all the time, Myles' solo record would already be out by now!
20.06.10 / 12.07.11 / 02.10.11 / 05.10.11 / 20.10.12 / 24.10.13 / 05.11.13 / 21.06.14 / 27.06.14

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm fine with how it is right now.. We're getting a lot of new music this way, which I care about the most. I'd love AB to tour more, but since every show is the Blackbird show I kinda stopped caring about them live. At least with Slash you know you're going to have an exciting setlist. When Alter Bridge finally grow some balls and become an interesting live band again, I'll fully support them to drop the Slash/Tremonti thing and focus on AB only.
Last edited by Timotheus on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

no but i think people who think myles is something he's not, namely axl rose, are very annoying and should probs jump off a bridge

ABFan34
Bought The CDs

Post by ABFan34 »

AB23 wrote:no but i think people who think myles is something he's not, namely axl rose, are very annoying and should probs jump off a bridge
:yeahthat

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Well, I have yet to hear World on Fire as it comes out next week and I'm not looking to spend any amount of money right now.

But I liked Apocalyptic love for the most part. It had some catchy tunes and showed more of Myles musical capabilities.

However, I would like to hear a solo album from him. And Slash seems too demanding of Myles' time. Myles number one focus should be on AB and Slash should realize that he's just a side project to myles. Or at least this is how I see things.

I'm very eager to hear World on Fire. I hope it's even better than the last.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It's legally streaming right now. Check out Slash's Twitter page. He gave a link to a Pandora stream if you wanna hear it that way.

I kind of agree with Timo. They don't seem to pick very diverse tour dates in the US anyways. They're playing a lot of places on the east coast in October that they already played this spring. So unless AB starts playing headlining shows that aren't 6+ hours away from me, I'd just assume listen to more studio albums.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

LouNRoses wrote:Well, seen many reviews of the album and people really liked it ... It got almost 9/10 everywhere. But of course, it can't please everyone !
Well, a German site gave WOF a 5/10, but not because of Myles. :D

I'm active in a German Guns N' Roses forum, and Myles gets a lot of hate there, even some AB Fans say they don't like him with Slash. Especially the Gn'R and Snakepit covers get the hate, but many people did also not like Myles' performance on AL. And I have to agree in some points. Myles sucks pretty much on Snakepit and Gn'R songs. Just listen to Snakepit's "Just Like Anything" and compare it to Myles' versions. Myles' voice does not sound like a third electric guitar added to the band while Rod Jackson's voice does. Same goes for some Guns N' Roses songs. You cannot sing Welcome to The Jungle with an angel like voice.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Yeah, but at least, they were aware of that and got Kerns on vocals for Welcome and that seems to work all right.

LouNRoses
Brand New Start

Post by LouNRoses »

Mr. Slash wrote:
LouNRoses wrote:Well, seen many reviews of the album and people really liked it ... It got almost 9/10 everywhere. But of course, it can't please everyone !

I'm active in a German Guns N' Roses forum, and Myles gets a lot of hate there, even some AB Fans say they don't like him with Slash. Especially the Gn'R and Snakepit covers get the hate, but many people did also not like Myles' performance on AL. And I have to agree in some points. Myles sucks pretty much on Snakepit and Gn'R songs. Just listen to Snakepit's "Just Like Anything" and compare it to Myles' versions. Myles' voice does not sound like a third electric guitar added to the band while Rod Jackson's voice does. Same goes for some Guns N' Roses songs. You cannot sing Welcome to The Jungle with an angel like voice.
Seriously, only 5? Wow ... :/

Shame on me but I prefer Myles' version of most of the Snakepit songs ... But I think it's because I've known lot of them being sung by Myles before I've known the original ones! For example I truly hate Mean Bone original version while it's my favorite one live with Slash & Myles ... :X

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Mr. Slash wrote:

Myles' Beggars and Hangers On is really good. I personally like it better than the older version. I also like his Been There Lately a lot. I think he does a great job on most GNR songs, and I'm a huge GNR far (long before I was an AB fan). I don't say this because I'm a Myles fanboy.. I just genuinely like his voice on these songs. When I think he sounds bad (like he did on Welcome To The Jungle and on the Wembley DVD) I won't hold back, lol.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

LouNRoses
Brand New Start

Post by LouNRoses »

:yeahthat :yeahthat :yeahthat

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

When it comes to good rock music, give me a misfit pain in the ass with grit and vision over a perfectly serviceable yes-man any day.

I will never take anything away from Slash as a lead guitar player and a badass performer. But a songwriter, bandleader, and artistic visionary he is most definitely not. I think only Ace Frehley is more of an artistically stunted caricature of himself at this point.
fuckin ay. been sayin it for years. slash is NOTHING without axl
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?