Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, technically, there is also a Top 30 metal album list from Loudwire as well, but they decided to lump A Dying Machine in the Hard Rock categories. Don't know what they are thinking, but a win for this album on a site like Loudwire is a win anyway.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I guess Myles has a lot of friends in the Loudwire staff. I mean it's a great album, but #1 is a little too high imo. Either way this list is complete bs imo. How can you place stuff like the Halestorm, Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed albums above Tremonti? All three albums were so bland, even for their standards.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Mr. Slash wrote:I guess Myles has a lot of friends in the Loudwire staff. I mean it's a great album, but #1 is a little too high imo. Either way this list is complete bs imo. How can you place stuff like the Halestorm, Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed albums above Tremonti? All three albums were so bland, even for their standards.

Myles YOTT was my album of the year and had my song of the year easily with Love Can Only Heal,also several gems like Turning Stones,The Great Beyond, Songbird and The Ghost of Shangri Lah

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Myles, Zia and TTournier performing Haunted By Design vor Samsung VR. Cool Performance imo. Myles sounds great without his nasal vocal style.
https://samsungvr.com/view/R7iZ_RNrF44? ... cWRAy42zwE

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

I barely joined this forum last year, so I missed out on many great discussions when this album was new. However, as I'm listening to it right now, I'm reminded of how much Year of the Tiger means to me, and how it carried me during the many many hardships of 2018, and is doing so once more in 2020. I'd like to talk about it if anyone wants to converse.

In 2018, I had just graduated college the December prior, and was still working at my minimum wage job. I was a full time graveyards employee at Whataburger and I absolutely hated it. I hated the fact that I was still working fast food despite having a Bachelor's degree, I hated being abused by the customers, I hated that no prospects were calling me, and I hated that my parents dismissed my struggles as me not trying hard enough, or saying I was complacent. While I was dealing with these struggles, the overwhelming majority of lyrics on this album spoke to me in a way Myles's music never really has before. I know its a meme to say this, but so many songs directly applied to the situation I was in, and I think its because the concepts from this album were the same as those in my life at the time. Themes such as loss, acceptance and perseverance.

The title track was my anthem to keep trying after consistent job rejections. Devil On the Wall was a self critical message to myself as far as the choices I made in my life to place me where I was. Turning Stones connected to my endless searching for a way out of my job. That hope that maybe I'll turn the right stone and find some glamorous exit. Haunted By Design was a lesson regarding humility. I was never dismissive or critical of fast food workers before, but after a year and four months at Whataburger I have endless respect for nearly all of them. It also reassured me that maybe I was meant to be at Whataburger. As much as I disliked it maybe it had a design. Which brings me to the lyrics of One Fine Day; "through our tragedies we find out who we are" and "though its so hard to wait for changes to come, they are only a heartbeat away." This gave me some peace as though Whataburger was weathering me into something better than I was before it, as well as hope that one fine day all this struggle, frustration and heartache will be done with.

Two years later, I'm in a better place but not exactly where I need to be. I work at a sales job which has made me lots of money, and reduced my stress drastically, but is still unreliable (and always will be) as it's sales. I put in for the police department, got in great shape, and passed my oral board, only for my academy to be cancelled due to COVID-19. In addition to this, yesterday my ultra-liberal sister and I got into a non-hostile debate about the police. So imagine my surprise when she hopped on Twitter and called me a "bootlicker", as well as telling me (and the world) she's giving my birthday present away. My birthday is this week.

Which brings me to Nothing But a Name. In 2018 that song reflected a crumbling friendship I was enduring. And now in 2020 it connects to my sister. Its not so much a matter of liberal or conservative ideologies but the fact that she has gone so far as to dismiss me and my journey to virtue signal to her idiot friends. "Your convictions your beliefs, how can you choose that over me?". After all I've done, those moments we shared, and built together gone because of the current political climate, and because I almost became a police officer.

However, amidst all of the struggles I faced in 2018, and seeing the world in flames in 2020, I can't help but once again fall back on Love Can Only Heal. Ultimately, I think this song encapsulates everything the world needs to move forward. Primarily as a song to remind me not to let this shit cause a rift between my sister and I. In spite of her ferocious commitment to her friends and beliefs, which has only grown worse since she went to college in 2017, I can't let those moments we have together die for something as benign as this. Love Can Only Heal, and I want it to bring back the best friend I once had.

One Fine Day this too shall fade. This may seem a bit more Reddit heavy for an Alter Bridge forum, but Year of the Tiger has been on my mind for so long now, and I've needed to get it out to people who will "get it" for lack of a better phrase. At least more so than my current family and friends who don't really care for rock music. Myles is a brilliant songwriter. Not only is this my favorite album from him, this is one of my favorite albums ever. The storytelling, the connection, the somber yet hopeful tone. Everything about it just leaves me with understanding of the power of music. It also gives me a sense of wonder that a mere man can create something so beautiful. I love this album, and I cannot wait for Myles's next solo album. I have zero doubt his ingenuity, perspective and writing will carry me through whatever situation the future holds for me, just as Year of the Tiger has and is currently doing.

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

This might have been discussed before so sorry if it's covering old ground:

In the solo of Love Can Only Heal, between 4:29 and 4:46, behind the lead guitar a high note comes into the background noise. It stays on one note for a while, drops lower at 4:40 and back up at 4:42.

Definitely because of my rubbish headphones that I can't tell, but is it a second guitar track or is it Myles' vocals?

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Scotty wrote:This might have been discussed before so sorry if it's covering old ground:

In the solo of Love Can Only Heal, between 4:29 and 4:46, behind the lead guitar a high note comes into the background noise. It stays on one note for a while, drops lower at 4:40 and back up at 4:42.

Definitely because of my rubbish headphones that I can't tell, but is it a second guitar track or is it Myles' vocals?
It’s Myles and it’s f-ing amazing. Such an epic outro!

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

DarkKnight12 wrote:
Scotty wrote:This might have been discussed before so sorry if it's covering old ground:

It’s Myles and it’s f-ing amazing. Such an epic outro!
I had always thought so. Other half said it was guitar. Very pleased its confirmed! It is absolutely epic. Have the CD in the car and it's simply not possible to listen to the solo/outro and not end up air drumming.