New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Re: New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Post by sugarandcyanide »

That Fill My World riff sounds like “Tear Us Apart” from AB.
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Heard it in YT with New Zealand VPN. Much better than river is rising in my opinion, both in terms of the song itself and the sound of the mix. Still sounds live but at least Myles sound pretty good.. but I still much prefer the sound and myles’ voice from previous albums, especially World on fire

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Yeah much prefer that one, nice little droney riff and Myles with a more laid back vocal. Not sure if it's just the youtube version but the beginning of the solo is really annoying on headphones, left channel clips out suddenly, guess that's a product of the recording method though.
For all of the hope that it brings...

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The riff reminds me of Sweet Child o'Mine.
But aside from that, the whole band sounds pretty flat.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

It's an alright song.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Most of the song is pretty good. Great verses, great solo... I think the wacky Sweet Child O Mine riff gets a bit annoying when it's repeated over and over again in the choruses.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Ubik wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:04 pm Yeah much prefer that one, nice little droney riff and Myles with a more laid back vocal. Not sure if it's just the youtube version but the beginning of the solo is really annoying on headphones, left channel clips out suddenly, guess that's a product of the recording method though.
Even on Apple Music I get this left channel clip in the solo at one point… I think the songs could be so much better for my taste if the recording method was different. Didn’t think I would say this but I kinda miss Elvis

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

I personally think Myles' voice will sound pretty annoying the whole album.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I like it more than The River Is Rising but it does nothing for me still. Doesn't excite me or have any parts that I'm drawn to.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Yeah this does nothing for me either. For reasons unknown my enjoyment of music is closely tied to the vocals/vocal delivery, and I've struggled to enjoy Myles' continued vocal thinning/nasality (particularly in Slash's project and the last 7 years of live performances generally) compared to his singing prior to 2014. I understand that age plays a significant role as well as correct technique for vocal health, but for me personally it's just not as audibly pleasant. What's more, given that the recording process of this album aimed for a sound as close as possible to their live performances, I'd safely assume that said vocal style will be prominent throughout.

As for the song itself, it's catchy I guess. A pretty basic Slash ballad. Far better than The River Is Rising.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

RevenantGB wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:26 pm Yeah this does nothing for me either. For reasons unknown my enjoyment of music is closely tied to the vocals/vocal delivery, and I've struggled to enjoy Myles' continued vocal thinning/nasality (particularly in Slash's project and the last 7 years of live performances generally) compared to his singing prior to 2014. I understand that age plays a significant role as well as correct technique for vocal health, but for me personally it's just not as audibly pleasant. What's more, given that the recording process of this album aimed for a sound as close as possible to their live performances, I'd safely assume that said vocal style will be prominent throughout.

As for the song itself, it's catchy I guess. A pretty basic Slash ballad. Far better than The River Is Rising.
I agree with you about his voice. I think Myles' best years as a vocalist have passed. I think Mark himself is probably more audibly pleasing for me to listen to now than myles because he doesn't have that thin/nasally pitchyness to his vocals. It's a shame because Myles was great.

I mean, I like this new song, the vocal melody is good and i like the lyrics and guitars. it just has the same problem as the last song did. The problem being what's the point of releasing a studio album without the bells and whistles of being in the studio? Recording an album live in front of an audience is a common thing. But doing a live record, one and done, for no audience, makes no sense. When I put the record in I want to hear what the song is ideally supposed to sound like. That's the point of recording a master and such. You can get the best vocals and the best mix. In this new song I couldn't hear the bass at all and myles' voice was a little drowned out.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Awwwww it's from his dog Motzart's POV :hug

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

nagpo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:33 pm
I mean, I like this new song, the vocal melody is good and i like the lyrics and guitars. it just has the same problem as the last song did. The problem being what's the point of releasing a studio album without the bells and whistles of being in the studio? Recording an album live in front of an audience is a common thing. But doing a live record, one and done, for no audience, makes no sense. When I put the record in I want to hear what the song is ideally supposed to sound like. That's the point of recording a master and such. You can get the best vocals and the best mix. In this new song I couldn't hear the bass at all and myles' voice was a little drowned out.
Yeah, exactly, I've been wondering about the same thing for the last couple of days. Was the attitude like 'Look how badass we are, we can track the whole thing live and show those kids that you don't have to do a thousand of punch-ins, pitch correction etc' but what's wrong in trying to nail it to produce the best take? I don't think that a lot of people even gonna notice that is that organic.
I personally prefer it if the studio version has all the extra layers of production, even though it would take 3-5 actual guitar players to pull it off live. A live version can be deprived of that, but that's a whole different story.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

There's nothing wrong with both approaches. Music nowadays is so perfect, with even live dvd's being edited to perfection, that I personally find the live approach refreshing, and a nice tribute to the way music used to be recorded.

Just sucks that the actual production doesn't do justice to the intention.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Timotheus wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:23 pm There's nothing wrong with both approaches. Music nowadays is so perfect, with even live dvd's being edited to perfection, that I personally find the live approach refreshing, and a nice tribute to the way music used to be recorded.

Just sucks that the actual production doesn't do justice to the intention.
For sure, it can really bring something amazing to a record but the environment and production needs to be set up in such a way that the sound is as good as it could possibly be to capitalise on the live feel of the performance whilst retaining the quality of sound. A Matter of Life and Death by Iron Maiden is a good example. Recorded live, sounds amazing.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Call Off the Dogs is out… and man for me it’s the same as for the other 2 tracks : the production ruins it for me. Sad as I am a BIG fan of WOF and also really liked Living the Dream

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

What an awful chorus.

Most of these songs are musically quite good, but the vocals are so boring. There's nothing in the melodies.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Myles sounds terrible imo

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

same issue. I like the songs but hate the recording. Biggest mistake of myles career to record his vocals like this. They are drowned out

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

but fuck it im still enjoying the songs so far. guess im a mark