On The Rail

Re: New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Post by nagpo »

they're doing a sort of live stream today on the slash youtube channel

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Yeah, it's another average/meh album, just like the previous one. More of the same, nothing particularly special.

Production is weird. They could have used the sound of the live stream for the album. It sounds much better and so it would have the live feeling that the band was talking about.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Watching the live stream they just did helps my enjoyment of this album a lot, I think. It's a Conspirators album, I think we all know what we're gonna get after 10 years... I don't really mind the production, I do love the idea of tracking it live. I don't notice much of a dip in quality in Myles' voice but as far as melodies, he does sound a bit bored and repetitive.
Musically the band is killing it. Cool riffs, Slashy solos... I love the talkbox in C'est La Vie.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I'm getting the vibe that Slash and Myles aren't really interested in this project. That may be why they keep doing songs that are nothing memorable.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:52 pm I'm getting the vibe that Slash and Myles aren't really interested in this project. That may be why they keep doing songs that are nothing memorable.
Well, it seems to me that Slash is still living the same old 80's rockstar lifestyle and he means every single notes he is playing but Myles sounds like he's clearly not interested anymore. Why though? Is this still paying his bills? Does he still owe Slash for making him famous?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

maximzub wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:52 pm I'm getting the vibe that Slash and Myles aren't really interested in this project. That may be why they keep doing songs that are nothing memorable.
I agree that a fair bit of SMKC's output is quite unmemorable, but I don't agree that Slash and Myles aren't interested in what they're putting out there. I think we just have to be realistic about what they aim to achieve with their records. I mean, this is the 17th record Myles has put out in his career. Slash is probably on a similar number. Both are in their 50s. Not many artists are blowing folks away with their output at that sort of stage in their careers. It seems to me that they're just happy to go with the ideas they have, so that they can then head out and have some fun doing shows.

Now that doesn't mean we can't sit here and judge what they come up with harshly. I just think it might be a step too far to say they're phoning it in :peace

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

There's a good 4 song EP in there, and the includes the first 3 singles. Those songs are on par with the previous album IMHO.

But when you release a 9 or 10 song album, you can't have any filler, and on this new record, there are just too many forgettable songs.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Dan Dando wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:53 pm
I agree that a fair bit of SMKC's output is quite unmemorable, but I don't agree that Slash and Myles aren't interested in what they're putting out there. I think we just have to be realistic about what they aim to achieve with their records. I mean, this is the 17th record Myles has put out in his career. Slash is probably on a similar number. Both are in their 50s. Not many artists are blowing folks away with their output at that sort of stage in their careers. It seems to me that they're just happy to go with the ideas they have, so that they can then head out and have some fun doing shows.

Now that doesn't mean we can't sit here and judge what they come up with harshly. I just think it might be a step too far to say they're phoning it in :peace
I haven't listened to 4 , but if it's anything like Living the Dream (which I couldn't even really finish, which is probably the only album that Myles was associated in that I couldn't get through in full), I will make this opinion. I just think, to me, there's a certain vibe when listening to Year of the Tiger and Ides of March that could give a perception that Myles feels more reinvigorated as a musician after doing those solo albums and that invigoration can spread into AB or Slash. So to hear the opinion that the new Slash stuff can be deemed "lifeless" can be a huge bummer.

I've accepted the reality that him, Slash and the Conspirators are having a good time and putting up fun shows and writing whatever that comes in their heads in the spur of the moment and that's what you hear on the record. I just don't necessarily have to listen to it and follow them. I'm just tuned out right now until AB VII and hopefully a West Coast US solo tour (hopefully, this summer after the Europe tour).

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Random thought. Spirit Love could have made a cool, unexpected opening track on this record! That one is really growing on me. Following the Middle Eastern, sitar sounding intro, the song gives me big Alice In Chains vibes in the music. Very sludgy. Todd's bass sounds so filthy and I do so love a nasty bass tone!

Guys, I... I think I'd rank 4 higher than Living The Dream...

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Definitely their worst album, but I do respect them for trying the different approach of the live recording and different producer. The first few songs ain't bad, then it's boring for a long time.... But am I the only one who loves Fall Back to Earth? Maybe I just woke up after the mid-album lull but damn that last track really got me.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Fall Back to Earth was definitely a highlight on first listen, for me.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Kreuger wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:38 pm Fall Back to Earth was definitely a highlight on first listen, for me.
That one has yet to click for me. This one is growing on me a fair bit though.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

You know. I realized something. I just passed last Friday on seeing these guys at Youtube Theater in Inglewood. Decent section for like $30.00. Really don't like driving to Inglewood (parking is pretty terrible and expensive and the area is relatively a bit more shadier than Downtown LA). Stayed at home and watched a Kings game instead (which they won, thankfully). Didn't feel like I would regret anything. If I did felt like going, I would have sported an Ides of March t-shirt. To show support and all. Still waiting for those West coast solo dates at some point. Hope it comes this summer. Would love to make another trip of that.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Wasn't expecting to, but enjoying the album a lot tbh. C'est la vie, Spirit Love, April Fool and Fall Back to Earth all good listens from the new ones.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Thought this was an interesting watch. Justin Hawkins reacting to/reviewing 'Actions Speak Louder Than Words'.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Good video, and I agree a lot about what he says about Myles.
I think Fergie, Andrew Stockdale and himself could have been great singers for Slash's band.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That was a great video indeed. I often enjoy his more musical approach to his analyses. I agree with everything he said about Myles' melodic choices. It's all very generic and unoriginal.

He picked one of the best songs on the album in my opinion and also the live version, which sounds a lot better than the album version, so this response from somebody who's a big Slash fan says a lot, in my opinion.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I finally bought the record and just finished my first complete listen. I like a lot of the songs. Some of them I'm not really in to, they can be a bit generic. But overall the album is greatly hindered by the production and recording style. Even the songs I really like are brought down a notch by the muddled sound. And listen, I'm a vocals guy. I love clean vocals and being able to hear and sing along with the songs. But Myles is drowned out in the mix. And also, he simply just doesn't sound that good recorded like this. (he's still great) but what i mean is the benefit of having a studio recording is that u get to do the session until it's perfect. Myles has some moments where he's really sharp and it's painful to hear. There are other times where slash himself is off cue and the drums don't hit their mark.

They seem to try and use this as a sales point like, "this is slash raw!" But if I wanted that I'd just go see them live. I think the method behind the recording process really hinders the album. I still like it but not as much as the previous stuff. Probably one of the worst sounding records i've ever heard and that's especially bad considering the pedigree of the artists involved.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

4 has to have the ugliest album cover in the SwMK&C thus far.

River is Rising and Call off the Dogs are the only songs I liked. This paired with The Ides of March have really let me down as far as new Myles material. I'm expecting Pawns and Kings will save the day though.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

https://twitter.com/Slash/status/1714293349233164433

All right, Myles is confirmed to be touring with Slash from mid-January - all of April in South America, Japan, and Europe. Still waiting for another Myles solo show in the West Coast though.... Maybe that can happen later in 2024?