New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Post by anguyen92 »

Per Todd Kern's Twitter, a new tour is looming in the states. The LA show is in..... Youtube Theater..... I think it's slightly larger than Hollywood Palladium, so good on them for playing in a bigger venue in LA.

https://twitter.com/todddammitkerns/sta ... 87/photo/1

AB VII is going to be either rushed or delayed. I know it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

No excitement from slash or myles in that music video. the band plays it up but those two look bored i agree

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

If that was the actual recording it could just be concentration. It doesn't look like they're having much fun though.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Dolo wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:58 am It's funny that whenever Slash comes out with new stuff and it's completely derivative of whatever he's been doing for the last 35 years everybody is like 'it's not good anymore', 'another meh song', 'all his music sounds the same' but the second Tremonti does that, I get reactions like 'don't expect him to write prog metal', 'he writes whatever he feels like', 'heavy verses and melodic choruses is just his thing' etc.
I think you're right that there's a few folks here who think the Slash stuff is largely "meh". But I doubt you'll find many here with the specific complaint that it's "derivative" or that it all "sounds the same". I've never got the sense from this forum that we're all looking for Slash to reinvent the wheel. In fact, I think it's laughable to suggest that most of us hold Slash to a different standard than Tremonti in terms of formula. By and large I think most of us are just looking for music that isn't boring and has some life/energy to it. Whatever you think the worst song on Marching in Time is, it probably has more life in it than 'River is Rising'.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Crumbso wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:16 pm If that was the actual recording it could just be concentration. It doesn't look like they're having much fun though.
Yeah, I think it's just concentration. Myles looks like he's performing the song instead of singing along to it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

anguyen92 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:35 am AB VII is going to be either rushed or delayed. I know it.
It's just a tour around US that runs in February and March, doesn't seem like much of a jeopardy to me. Unless they're taking it to Europe and other places thereafter. And yeah, Mark might also be touring with his solo stuff.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Mark looks like he's touring right up until Slash and co kick off this one, so yeah, probably another Walk the Sky scenario for AB next year.

EDIT - actually scratch that, just saw this interview with Slash and he's going out with Guns the rest of the year in '22, so Conspirators won't be doing europe until Jan '23. That actually gives a pretty decent window for Mark and Myles to do some writing.

It's always hard to get grumpy at Slash, extremely easy going guy and his answer to the question "which wall should I use for my zoom background?" is "obviously the one with all my model dinosaurs."

For all of the hope that it brings...

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

I love the new song surprisingly. I never cared for Slash and Myles work but I like this single song more than anything off The Ides of March. I can't believe how much that record let me down. Especially since Year of the Tiger was a literal life changing album for me. Maybe this one will hit better.

Is that 4 the actual album cover or will the real one be revealed later?

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

One of my big issues with this project is that it doesn't sound natural and genuine for Myles.
It almost feels to me like he's wearing a 80's Los Angeles singer costume and forcing himself to sing differently.
It lacks authenticity and I just don't buy it.

It reminds me of what Matt Heafy from Trivium said about Machine Gun Kelly recently:
I’d like to formally diss Machine Gun Kelly for ‘being 31-years-old wearing a f****** 16-year-old pop punk cosplay identity on a f****** stage.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:10 am
It almost feels to me like he's wearing a 80's Los Angeles singer costume and forcing himself to sing differently.
It lacks authenticity and I just don't buy it.
That's been his entire career with slash. I think I remember an interview with him saying he really loved aerosmith and steven tyler. It obvious he's trying to imitate that era with his voice imo. I think the most genuine you'll hear myles' voice is with the mayfield 4

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I mean he's a guy that pretty much likes everything. When you see the guy in his various projects, the aesthetics all matches the vibe

Slash and Co. has a classic rock vibe so he's trying match the vibe and go all no-sleeve shirts.

AB is modern hard rock/metal so all you see is four guys in black most of the time.

Solo is like acoustic/Americana and you see his beard more grown out, seeing a little more gray in the hair, and he's sporting plaid.

Honestly, I'm digging the plaid aura the most. He doesn't look the most try-hardy in that image and probably the most relaxed.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Good analysis about the way he dresses.

Back to the video. It's really weird to see Myles so out of it. It feels like he doesn't even want to be there.
It must have been a bad day.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Ubik wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:29 pm Mark looks like he's touring right up until Slash and co kick off this one, so yeah, probably another Walk the Sky scenario for AB next year.

EDIT - actually scratch that, just saw this interview with Slash and he's going out with Guns the rest of the year in '22, so Conspirators won't be doing europe until Jan '23. That actually gives a pretty decent window for Mark and Myles to do some writing.

It's always hard to get grumpy at Slash, extremely easy going guy and his answer to the question "which wall should I use for my zoom background?" is "obviously the one with all my model dinosaurs."

"The record is really diverse"

Well let's hope that the other songs diverge substantially from the first single. :D

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

After a few days, I have to say this song is the first debut single in a while that gives me positive vibes. Wouldn't You Rather, In Stride, If Not For You and Driving Rain were all rather disappointing to me.

Shame about the production and Myles could've written some more interesting melodies, but I really like the general vibe. Also the fact that they went for a new producer and tried a new approach to record the album... Even if the song itself isn't groundbreaking for them, it feels different.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Timotheus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:35 pm After a few days, I have to say this song is the first debut single in a while that gives me positive vibes. Wouldn't You Rather, In Stride, If Not For You and Driving Rain were all rather disappointing to me.

Shame about the production and Myles could've written some more interesting melodies, but I really like the general vibe. Also the fact that they went for a new producer and tried a new approach to record the album... Even if the song itself isn't groundbreaking for them, it feels different.
There really is a lot to like here, aside from the production. I certainly don't hate the song, that's for sure.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Apparently Myles and Slash both got Covid while making the new album. Yikes. :/

TheLastHero
Bought The CDs

Post by TheLastHero »

WaywardOne wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:22 pm Apparently Myles and Slash both got Covid while making the new album. Yikes. :/
I heard this on the radio. Slash actually said he didn't contract the virus, but Myles was the first one who did. A couple of the other members and some of the studio people working with them on the album did as well.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Said he did catch it in this interview (starting at 4:44)

For all of the hope that it brings...

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

« Fill my world » out this Friday. Small teaser available on the IG of Todd Kerns

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

DarkKnight12 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:10 am « Fill my world » out this Friday. Small teaser available on the IG of Todd Kerns
I like it. I'm cautiously optimistic.