On The Rail

Re: New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Post by Dan Dando »

Lyrics by Greta Thunberg... am I right? :lol

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I think I know how my friends who aren't particularly fussed with Alter Bridge feel when I listen to Myles & Slash :zzz

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yeah...., this ain't for me. I'm not enjoying it and I feel like Myles doesn't really sound the greatest here compare to say Get Along (which I really enjoy for some reason).

Edit: Now I already made my post about the whole, "I have a feeling that the next AB album could be it for them as a band because the schedules may get dicey and AB usually loses out in the end by not doing anything." However, I will be a bit miffed if Myles doesn't do a West Coast solo tour and I see dates about a Slash tour and that's it for the shows when it comes to the Ides of March tour.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

All this Slash music sounds the same. It’s not good anymore. Really wish Myles would stop playing with these guys and just do his solo project and AB.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

The vocals are too low in the mix compared to the music, Myles definitely sounded better on previous slash records. Something about the way its recorded in this song doesnt sit right. Could be the lack of production magic since its a live take that hinders the vocal performance but I'm not sure. Elvis > This new producer. Slash's playing is meh and the solo I've heard a hundred times before from him. Cant say much about the bass and drums. Might be the first Myles/AB-related album I don't immediately pre-order on day 1. Gonna wait and see how the rest of the album sounds before I commit. Especially since its not the usual $9.99

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

It's funny that whenever Slash comes out with new stuff and it's completely derivative of whatever he's been doing for the last 35 years everybody is like 'it's not good anymore', 'another meh song', 'all his music sounds the same' but the second Tremonti does that, I get reactions like 'don't expect him to write prog metal', 'he writes whatever he feels like', 'heavy verses and melodic choruses is just his thing' etc.

And yeah, the track is pretty whatever. I also don't really hear any difference between Elvis and this new guy producing it.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't really get the mixing choices. It's all fine, but then there's a bunch of reverb on there which makes it sounds really muddy and unclear.

Trying to ignore that, it's refreshing to have drums sound like drums, and the entire thing does feel live. I'm not a huge fan of the effects on the vocals, but they attribute to that. At least they feel organic. As if the bands's playing live, and somebody threw some delay and reverb on top of the vocals. So while I think the production is pretty bad, it's still better than Elvis. Or at least my ears are annoyed for much different reasons.

I don't mind Myles' voice being pushed back a bit. It makes his whiny moments a bit less apparent, and I don't think he should be at the front of the mix in this band and this type of music the entire time.

The song itself is fine. It's musically fun, which I care about most with Slash. For a single, I was expecting more of it maybe. Don't think it'll do so well. But at least it's better than Driving Rain.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Dolo wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:58 am It's funny that whenever Slash comes out with new stuff and it's completely derivative of whatever he's been doing for the last 35 years everybody is like 'it's not good anymore', 'another meh song', 'all his music sounds the same' but the second Tremonti does that, I get reactions like 'don't expect him to write prog metal', 'he writes whatever he feels like', 'heavy verses and melodic choruses is just his thing' etc.

And yeah, the track is pretty whatever. I also don't really hear any difference between Elvis and this new guy producing it.
I can't really say that Tremonti sounds the same on every record. Same goes for Slash. Of course he has his characteristic style which you can hear on every record but usually his albums had many unique points. Even Apocalyptic Love, which I would not consider a great record has a couple of songs which really stand out. But the last album was pretty standard pop-hardrock stuff. Same goes for the new song.

The sound mix is really weird. Maybe the producer intended to provide some "live" feeling since the album was recorded in one take (or whatever "live studio record" means).

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Myles' voice is super annoying when he goes in the high register with Slash. He really does sound like a cat, as many of his critics have said over the years.
I like the rawness of the sound, and it reminds me of the 70's records where you had to play the songs together from top to bottom.
The song was kinda meh for me, until the 3:30 mark: I didn't expect that left turn, and thought Slash would build on that part and go completely crazy for a couple of minutes. Sadly, it only lasted 12 seconds. What a missed opportunity!

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Can’t say I’m a big fan of the production, but I suppose they were going for a more live feel.

The song is decent enough, nothing groundbreaking but then none of Slash’s solo stuff is. This is his outlet to make bluesy rock n roll, which is his passion, just like Tremonti is Mark’s outlet to make heavier music.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Pretty disappointed in the new track.. just listen to The river is rising and then to a song like Serve you right off of Living the Dream. It’s crazy how much better Myles voice is on serve you right … a lot less nasal and the overall sound as well.. much punchier and clearer. And I’m saying this even though I don’t particularly appreciate Living the Dream mix and sound !!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

This wins the competition for worst MK/MT/AB mix. Jeez, it's terrible. I've literally done better than this with my own band before (and that's the first time I've ever said that about a professional mix by a big artist like this). There are hundreds of actually live albums that sound better. The drums are weak, the guitar is too loud, the vocals are too pushed back and the whole thing is distorting.

It's a shame as I think there are some good moments in this song but they are hard to pick out. I'd need a bit more time to analyze it though. I still think Slash is yet to better the more varied approach to material he had on his self-titled album... but then again, that album sounded phenomenal so it's hard to separate the production from enjoyment of material.

ADDENDUM EDIT: If you want that real 70's raw live feel then they should reference stuff like the early Van Halen records, Powerage by AC/DC, earlier Black Sabbath albums etc. The instruments all sound like they actually do in real life but it doesn't mean they have to sound crap or weak.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

His first solo record indeed sounded fantastic. Myles also sounded fantastic on the two songs he did on that record. He hasn't sounded that good on any record ever since.

I prefer this sound over the latest Elvis albums, even though it's not that good. At least there's a bit of genuity to it. And you can listen to it without getting a headache.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

They need to delay this record and remix it immediately. This is probably the worst vocal mix I've heard since Van Halen III. I can't even hear myles what the fuck! Sorry for my language but what is the point of having a singer and him having lyrics if you drown him out like this!? No other musical act does this on purpose. It's common practice that the vocal are the lead and are meant to be heard above all else in modern music. I have bought every Slash/myles record but I will not buy this. Elvis did a way better job. I am flabbergasted at this terrible quality.

And still through it all you can still hear Myles' deteriorating nasally, whiny voice pitching through on the higher points of the song, piercing your ears. This guy needs to recognize he cannot hit those high notes anymore and sing in a lower register. I remember in the old days from mayfield 4 through AB 1-4 he could reach the notes without trouble but it's obvious, kind of like chris cornell, age and wear and tear has taken its toll on his voice. It's simply unpleasant to listen too on this song. Cornell recognized this in his own voice and started singing in a lower register after soundgarden broke up. Myles needs to do the same. I know he wants to be a 80's rock singer like steven tyler but c'mon.

The music of the song is decent. I like the riff. I cant make out the lyrics but if myles wrote them im assuming they're empty platitudes based on social and political commentary because that's what he mostly writes about. I do like the live sound of the instruments but not the vocals

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Ok song, vocal mixing is awful and Myles' voice on that chorus is so boring.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

Another fool for rage
Another truth betrayed
Another lackey out of line
Torture and rip-apart
What was the pure of heart
Poison the well and push the lie

All in the name of nothing
Have we been hypnotized?
No doubt the end is coming
We're out of time

Hang on
The river is rising
Hold strong
The tide is high
Will we drown in paradise?

Another wicked scheme
Another static dream
Indoctrination for the blind

All in the name of nothing
Have we been hypnotized?
No doubt the end is coming
We're out of time

Hang on
The river is rising
Hold strong
The tide is high
A promise gone

Seething raging from the heart

Hang on
The river is rising
Hold strong
The tide is high

A promise long gone
So don't deny it
A cold dawn is sure to rise
As we drown in paradise

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

thanks for the lyrics. what was this supposed to be about?

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:05 amAnd you can listen to it without getting a headache.
Unironically, I feel like listening to this album the way its mixed (if the single is anything to go by) would give me a headache way faster than an Elvis album would. :lol At least on an Elvis album he can mix the vocals properly :lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Somebody looks bored, lol.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

This vocal mix is the most horrendous i have ever heard…