The Ides of March

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
George
Loyal Follower

Re: MK II

Post by George »

Silvercreed wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:50 pm Myles on a cool jazzy stuff. I would like to see some of it on the new album.

That is amazing!
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

A new song will be getting released tonight for those who dont know....

It will be the song "Get Along". I went onto iTunes earlier this morning and changed my store region to NZ to listen to the preview a few times...

From those 90 seconds I'm leaning towards liking it more than In Stride but that might just be the fact it's new.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 am From those 90 seconds I'm leaning towards liking it more than In Stride but that might just be the fact it's new.
Hmm, not too sure, it might just be Myles Kennedy's worst song for me. Instrumentally it's okay, but the lyrics, "Why can't we all just get along, woah, wooh" (can appreciate the sentiment but it sounds a bit naff), and a bridge section that borders on feeling obnoxious - "There I said it, there I said it". And I'm no expert when it comes to production but I can't say it's a pleasant song to listen to really.

Hate to be so negative so I shall leave it there. Maybe it'll grow on me :)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Pretty standard MK solo tune, nothing amazing...I listened to it a few times now, The verses are fine lyrically and vocally, but the bridge has some cheesy lyrics (as if the cliche of just wanting to "get along" wasnt cheesy enough) and the solos were underwhelming for there being 2 of them.
Instrumentally it's okay, again pretty standard but nothing I heard made me think it stands out.
I give it a 5/10

The Ides of March
Get Along
In Stride

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I really like it on first listen in comparison to In Stride. I will say the bridge part is a bit weak.

I don't think it's intentional, but I wonder where if Year of the Tiger is like the prequel of AB III, Ides of March is the fallout of the themes to The Last Hero?

In any case, I pre-ordered the album last week. Got the CD and shirt bundle. I needed a new shirt to wear in public after wearing the AB honorary roadie shirt a lot last year. I liked the design on this one.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Love the verses, rest isn't gripping me. Guessing this is the last pre-release given they've been releasing at month-ish intervals, can't wait for the whole thing!
For all of the hope that it brings...

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Ok song...
I like the verses.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

They've done a vid for it, great that they're putting so much effort into these pre-releases!

It's certainly something. I mainly appreciate they show Myles using the guitar from the contest he was in back in the 90s! Shame they didn't have the waistcoat too.
For all of the hope that it brings...

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

lmao wow. I'd like to congratulate Myles Kennedy on making his worst and corniest song/video of his career. Amazing drop in quality. That video was like a cartoon from elementary school class about pollution. Leave it to MK to take all the worlds most complex issues and have the solution being "why cant we all just get along?"

The last people I want to hear from about the worlds problems and what the solutions should be are musicians - people whose tours create a great amount of pollution as they travel around the world, for one, and two, these people are in no way more educated on situations they sing about more than you or me. This is my greatest criticism of MK's lyrical writing. At worst It's so often void of substance and originality, like this song, but at best you get real bangers like the previous solo record. Of his solo career, this is the worst song yet.

5/10

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

nagpo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:23 am Leave it to MK to take all the worlds most complex issues and have the solution being "why cant we all just get along?"
It's hard to write about political topics when you have to hide your political views.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mr. Slash wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:30 am
nagpo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:23 am Leave it to MK to take all the worlds most complex issues and have the solution being "why cant we all just get along?"
It's hard to write about political topics when you have to hide your political views.
Yeah, if people want to go deeper about political topics in a song (regardless of whose side is on regarding a topic), they get chastised for it anyway for bringing it up. It's like they can't win. As for the corniest, we've been in lockdown for too long, I want more fun songs from Myles to be in a better mood after what the world has been through and not fun in the way he does it with Slash's band, fun in the way that he is interpreting it. I'm glad that this song exist.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lyrics aside, I quite like the song. Was expecting a lot worse based on the comments on here. Some guitar parts reminded me of No One Nothing mixed with High from MF4.

The lyrics are cartoonishly simple. They fit the video, but not the music. Definitely not the standards I hold Myles to.

Still a better song than In Stride and some songs on the last 2 AB records.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Dan Dando wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:53 pm
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 am From those 90 seconds I'm leaning towards liking it more than In Stride but that might just be the fact it's new.
Hmm, not too sure, it might just be Myles Kennedy's worst song for me. Instrumentally it's okay, but the lyrics, "Why can't we all just get along, woah, wooh" (can appreciate the sentiment but it sounds a bit naff), and a bridge section that borders on feeling obnoxious - "There I said it, there I said it". And I'm no expert when it comes to production but I can't say it's a pleasant song to listen to really.

Hate to be so negative so I shall leave it there. Maybe it'll grow on me :)
Yeah same, silly spots on lyrics, I love the video tho :cheers

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I really like the verses and also the guitar parts in general. But I think as Myles gets older it gets more and more obvious that he really doesn't know how to write a good chorus. I mean, the hooks were never the strongest parts in AB or even MF4 songs, but on his solo stuff it gets even worse.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Mr. Slash wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:57 pm I really like the verses and also the guitar parts in general. But I think as Myles gets older it gets more and more obvious that he really doesn't know how to write a good chorus. I mean, the hooks were never the strongest parts in AB or even MF4 songs, but on his solo stuff it gets even worse.
Agreed. I think the well has run a bit dry for him. Understandable really, his discography is probably about 20 albums deep at this point, or close to it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:37 pmAgreed. I think the well has run a bit dry for him. Understandable really, his discography is probably about 20 albums deep at this point, or close to it.
He's at album #16 with this one. With #17 on the way with SMKC 4....So not quite 20 albums but not far from it either :lol

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

oof

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Like the title track very much.
Als tremonti’s ADM had several gems.
Brings me to the question why they seem not to able anymore to pratice this great songwriting in their main project AB ? Is the chemistry of writing together gone and buried ? They put together the best three-in-a-row albums ever with BB/III/Fortress. What happened after that ?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

riemslag1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:29 pm Like the title track very much.
Brings me to the question why they seem not to able anymore to pratice this great songwriting in their main project AB ? Is the chemistry of writing together gone and buried ? They put together the best three-in-a-row albums ever with BB/III/Fortress. What happened after that ?
Well, I still think they wrote great albums with The Last Hero and Walk the Sky, but to say what happened could be that, there comes a point in every band's lifespan where things may run its course. It happens to all bands. Even those that lasts decades. Also, they may have reached that point where they want to do things that they couldn't do in AB which is why the Tremonti solo band and Myles doing solo stuff happens.

Like if a song like In Stride and Devil on the Wall was released under AB, they would get so much flack from the hard rock/metal community and think they went country. You can't tell me otherwise.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

anguyen92 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:57 pm
riemslag1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:29 pm Like the title track very much.
Well, I still think they wrote great albums with The Last Hero and Walk the Sky, but to say what happened could be that, there comes a point in every band's lifespan where things may run its course. It happens to all bands. Even those that lasts decades. Also, they may have reached that point where they want to do things that they couldn't do in AB which is why the Tremonti solo band and Myles doing solo stuff happens.

Like if a song like In Stride and Devil on the Wall was released under AB, they would get so much flack from the hard rock/metal community and think they went country. You can't tell me otherwise.
And Alter Bridge is the money maker at this point! What was once a creative and personal escape hatch for 3/4 of the band has become the main source of income for all 4 guys. I don't mean to sound so cynical because what they're doing is totally understandable. But there's no room for real experimentation in Alter Bridge anymore and that's sort of a bummer. Genre walls are breaking down so there's never been a better time to try new things as often as possible!