The Ides of March

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: MK II

Post by WaywardOne »

Man I love that video, it's so fun. He must've had a buy on get one free coupon with whoever did the Native Son music video haha.

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

It's a song for a single. Nothing spectacular but a fun one, it has a happy vibe. I like the guitar work.
Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

It was like a poor mans Avalon.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Really dig the new song, I’m usually not the biggest fan of Myles’ stuff outside of AB other than Second Skin. Slash is not my cup of tea, but I was pleasantly surprised by this. Had a nice vibe and has me interested in the album for sure.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I like In Stride, more than I liked Year of The Tiger when it comes to MK lead singles. I think the chorus is a fun one to sing along to and has a good melody and the leads in the outro have a good melody too. Music video was also very fun to watch how they added Myles into all that animation :lol

I like the album art of this record more than I did YoTTs and the title is more interesting to me/mysterious as to what the album or title track could be about :headscratch

In terms of the track titles and track lengths, I'm glad the title track is a 7-minuter. I always enjoy it when Mark and Myles go the extra mile for an epic track. Really looking forward to that one. Other song titles that stand out to me are Love Rain Down, Moonshot, Wanderlust Begins.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

I can't stand Myles' choruses with him harmonizing himself.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Scott Stapp could've sang it better.
Thanks Andy!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:18 pm I like In Stride, more than I liked Year of The Tiger when it comes to MK lead singles. I think the chorus is a fun one to sing along to and has a good melody and the leads in the outro have a good melody too. Music video was also very fun to watch how they added Myles into all that animation :lol

I like the album art of this record more than I did YoTTs and the title is more interesting to me/mysterious as to what the album or title track could be about :headscratch

In terms of the track titles and track lengths, I'm glad the title track is a 7-minuter. I always enjoy it when Mark and Myles go the extra mile for an epic track. Really looking forward to that one. Other song titles that stand out to me are Love Rain Down, Moonshot, Wanderlust Begins.
Where'd you get the song lengths?!
For all of the hope that it brings...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ubik wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:44 pmWhere'd you get the song lengths?!
iTunes, why? :shifty :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:47 pm
Ubik wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:44 pmWhere'd you get the song lengths?!
iTunes, why? :shifty :lol

Gah I checked and it was only showing In Stride! Ah well, cheers Shea. Looking forward to epic Myles!
For all of the hope that it brings...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ubik wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:41 pmGah I checked and it was only showing In Stride! Ah well, cheers Shea. Looking forward to epic Myles!
Maybe it was just some regional thing that made you not see the rest of them, Ubik, Idk :/ :shrug :lol But cheers, Ubik! :cheers Likewise :mkrules

gbruin
MEGLADONG

No epics, eh.

Post by gbruin »

Yeah but they'll only be 85% as long in Canada.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

(copied form MK's website MylesKennedy.com. Some pretty cool info and hints at what's to come)

About Myles Kennedy
MYLES KENNEDY | THE IDES OF MARCH | 2021

At this point, Myles Kennedy’s voice precedes him. Certainly, it courses through six chart-topping albums from gold-selling rock juggernaut Alter Bridge, three records with Slash and The Conspirators, two albums from The Mayfield Four, his 2018 solo debut Year of the Tiger, and guest appearances for everyone from Disturbed and Halestorm to Gov’t Mule, Sevendust, Mark Morton and Darryl “DMC” McDaniels. For as much as he remains renowned for his skyscraping timbre and earth-quaking bluesy wail, his musicianship also encompasses eloquent songcraft, thoughtful cinematic arrangements, and, of course, dynamic guitar fireworks as explosive as his astounding vocal range. That brings us to his second full-length solo album, The Ides Of March [Napalm Records]. These eleven tracks follow all of his muses into a pastiche of distorted rock ‘n’ roll frenzy, Memphis Delta-soaked blues catharsis, soul ponderances, and even dalliances into country.

In essence, it presents every side of Myles Kennedy.

“I wanted to make sure the record was diverse,” he explains. “I’m a music geek. I’m a fan. When you’re known for playing a specific genre of music, you don’t always have the opportunity to show your affinity for other styles. That’s the beauty of making solo records. It’s your moment to step out and take chances. I count my lucky stars that I’ve had the good fortune to make records and tour the world with so many talented musicians. With that said, the artist in me still needs to explore.”

Year Of The Tiger provided the perfect launchpad for such exploration. Beyond gathering nearly 20 million streams, the record arrived to widespread critical acclaim. Metal Hammer rated it “4-out-of-5 stars,” while Loudwire ranked it at #1 on “The 30 Best Hard Rock Albums of 2018.” Meanwhile, American Songwriter christened him, “one of the last true, rugged, gritty and compelled songwriters in the scene.” In support of the record, he embarked on his first solo tour, selling out venues coast-to-coast in 2018.

For all of its acoustic power, he knew his next record would be a “louder” affair.

“I knew I wanted to turn up the volume on the next endeavor,” he affirms. “Probably because I really wanted to revisit my passion for playing lead guitar. I missed it tremendously. Since I play in two bands with incredible guitarists, I don’t play lead as often as I used to. It’s funny. I actually never intended to be a singer! Back in the day, I used to do session work and play guitar in various bands with an emphasis on leads and improvisation. Once I started writing songs, singing became more of the focus. So, I wanted to go back to that earlier approach, plug in, turn the amps up to 11 and improvise to my heart’s content.”

As the world slipped into lockdown at the onset of the Global Pandemic, Myles simply “marched down to Guitar Center, picked up a brand-new Universal Audio interface, went back home, and just started working.” He grabbed his guitar, wrote his heart out, and recorded demos at his home studio in Spokane, WA.

After four months of demoing, he hopped in the car with his rhythm section, drummer Zia Uddin and bassist Tim Tournier and they drove over 3,000 miles to Studio Barbarosa in Orlando in order to record with longtime producer Michael “Elvis” Baskette.

“To get together with Elvis and his crew was actually a nice break,” he smiles. “It was like rock ‘n’ roll summer camp.”

Now, Myles introduces The Ides of March with the high-flying hook and groove-driven guitar of “In Stride.” A Texas blues lick rolls underneath upbeat verses before his vocals lift off on the unshakable refrain.

“That track serves as a reminder to chill out and maintain a level of perspective during these strange times,” he exclaims. “During the first wave of the lockdown, people were freaking out, buying up vast amounts of toilet paper and supplies to build their stash for the end of civilization. It felt as if we were all doomsday prepping. After stepping back and realizing that this too shall pass, I began to understand it might be best to keep calm, carry on and take it all in stride.”

A commanding riff thumps along with a bold beat on the opener “Get Along.” In between an immortal hook, Myles asserts on the bridge, “The answer in the end was never black or white,” before a melodic solo seals this impactful message in stone.

“The lyric was actually inspired by the Los Angeles riots that occurred during the early nineties,” he reveals. “It was penned in late March before the protests happened later during the summer of 2020. I didn’t have any idea what was coming. In fact, I didn’t even know if the lyric would resonate, because it was based on events that took place nearly thirty years prior. Now, I realize it rings truer than ever.”

Serving as a powerful centerpiece, the title track “The Ides of March” stretches over seven minutes and writhes through a delicate acoustic intro where his voice barely registers above a whisper as he cautions, “Beware the Ides of March.” Underpinned by unpredictable six-string sorcery, it segues from a lyrical lead into a fiery final crescendo punctuated by scorching shredding as he assures, “Cool heads prevail in times of change.”

“It’s an epic journey,” he states. “the genesis of the initial progression and melody came to me in a dream. So, after I woke up, I grabbed my phone and a guitar and recorded it. Coming up with rest of the song was not as effortless,” he laughs. “It needed to be nurtured, because I felt like it was going to be the cornerstone of the album. From a lyrical standpoint, the first half serves as a warning. It paints a sonic picture of a very dark dystopian future. The title is a reference to Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar and the cautionary phrase, ‘Beware the Ides of March’. The second half breaks from the bleak outlook to remind us that we can do better if we remember who we are and what we’re meant to be as a society. Though it took months to complete, it was worth it in the end for me. It turned out to be very cathartic. Not only does it inspire me to remain optimistic for the future, it reminds me how to conduct myself throughout this tumultuous time in history.”

Then, there’s “Love Rain Down.” Nodding to guitar techniques pioneered by country blues legend Big Bill Broonzy, Myles fingerpicks his acoustic as he lyrically issues, “a plea born out of longing for answers and solace from all of the dark possibilities of the day.”

In the end, every side of Myles shines brighter than ever on The Ides of March.

“Lyrically, this album draws on the raw, dark set of emotions we have collectively experienced over the last few years,” he leaves off. “Though the songs were inspired by a real sense of fear and uncertainty pervasive in the world, they still maintain an undercurrent of hope for what's to come. Hopefully, these songs will remind the listener that we haven't reached the end. That things are going to get better eventually. Musically, this record has allowed me to continue to challenge myself. In doing so, I hope it will help me to evolve not only as a musician, but as a human being. I’m a work-in-progress,” he grins.

– Rick Florino, January 2021
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Great read, thanks! :cheers
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Nice find Grubin! Pretty stoked for this album.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Blackbirddd wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:28 pm I can't stand Myles' choruses with him harmonizing himself.
:yeahthat

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

I wish Myles didn’t sing so high just because he can. I prefer his AB3 voice where he only pulled that range out on some parts.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Not my thing but I hope it does well. I gave it a few listens but it's not catching me.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: See: Grace Potter for Best Rock Album Grammy.

Post by zazthespaz »

"Loudwire ranked [YOTT] at #1 on 'The 30 Best Hard Rock Albums of 2018.'"
Really?! Don't get me wrong, great album, but if they classified it as "hard rock" then I don't think the music classification system is working.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

So the album is going to have three songs with explicit lyrics? seems like myles is trying to become one of the cool kids!