just got a PRS SE and am clueless

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
ElGuappe
Brand New Start

just got a PRS SE and am clueless

Post by ElGuappe »

I just bought a PRS se. I have never played guitar before. But I like the idea. Any suggestions? hey, my amex has no interest for 18 months, you blame me? Maybe I get lucky and see mark at jacksonville lol

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: just got a PRS SE and am clueless

Post by Fish Tacos »

Well as long as you bought an SE you shouldn't be hurting too bad after the impulse buy. Although the price tag wouldn't have been my first choice for my first guitar seeing as how a lot of folks don't stick with it.

There's plenty of youtube channels that can give you daily/weekly lessons with practice material, however getting a real teacher is helpful to both keep you accountable and correct poor chord holding techniques before they turn into muscle memory. Best advice I can give you is to pick a simpler song you might like such as Broken Wings that you can continue practicing between lessons and regular practice. It helps keep things relevant when you feel like blowing your brains out because you've messed up Marry Has a Little Lamb for the 4th time in a row.

ElGuappe
Brand New Start

Post by ElGuappe »

its just gonna be a fun thing for me. got tired of billiards lol

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

While it won't necessarily teach you proper technique or how to properly read music the way a guitar teacher would...the videogame "Rocksmith 2014" for PS3, PS4, XBox 360, XBox One, or PC is a good way to help you to learn some songs, build up dexterity, etc. while still having fun doing so.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-B ... Course.php

When I tried to learn I used this site. Has tons of videos, images, lessons.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Justinguitar is indeed a great place. Recently came across https://www.musicisum.net/app/#/learn/guitar which also looks great.
How you learn best is personal. Learn a few (open) chords and learn to make power chords and you'll be rocking in no time!

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

I started with just a few basic chords. Realized AC/DC used those same basic chords, and proceeded to learn all of their discography, eventually even tackling the solos.

Baby steps.