"Cauterize" Song Meanings

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

"Cauterize" Song Meanings

Post by AB4Lyfe »

http://www.rockurlife.net/interview/eng ... i-15-04-15
Radical Change is about facing an enormous change in your life. For example you wake up on morning and your boss says you no longer have a job, or your wife leaves you or you lose somebody to cancer. In my case, it was when my first successful band came in and we made the decision to end the band and go somewhere else. It was the first time I had a professional career with my heart and I didn't know if it wasn't going to start all over, was it an horrible mistake or? I just knew we were unhappy and we deserved to be satisfied with what we do so. That radical change in my life was to take that step off and go different directions.

Flying Monkeys is a song about somebody who holds on to grudges, somebody who can't forgive and can't forget and holds on this bitterness till then. Somebody I don't want to be but I've been a few years but I've grown and I'm just reflecting that.

Cauterize is about a tyrant leading his country to the ground. Every time I wake up and turn on the news, you'll hear about somebody in Syria running the country into the ground and using chemical weapons against his own population or North Korea completely just the most backwards ass country in the world, treating their people like dogs, Iran, Irak, every time you turn on the news, you see. Once these people get rounded out, there's another guy who steps in 6 months later and do the same thing. So Cauterize refers to the corruption of the absolute power.

Arm Yourself is about another fictional character who is born into a military family and was forced to fight. He tells himself his has no fear but he actually does, he's just somebody born to life that lifestyle and maybe he's the generation willing to change and not be that way.

Dark Trip is about a personal relationship where somebody was working for me, for the band and I welcome him into my family, showing love and affection, our wife and kids were friends and he took advantage of me and the band and everybody around, it was just those moments where you can't believe someone could do something like that.

Another Heart is about hypocrisy and person who knew he is a dark-hearted bad person and continues to be and he doesn't really try to make things different. He's just not a good person.

Tie The Noose was inspired by all the police shootings in the US, riots and riots, I'm speaking from the place somebody's writing and saying that the solution is to take your anger out. We all know what's wrong but in the same time you also try to see their point of view, just being fed up being profiled. It's not saying if it's right or wrong, the whole thing is wrong and the police's answers are jumping quickly into conclusions of race.

Sympathy is a song about fighting against adversity, just the trials of life. It's about the person who is always chasing that perfect utopia.

Providence is about people who do those unspeakable thing in the name of God thinking it'll be some kind of providence or what, which is ridiculous.
He completely forgot to mention Fall Again, but these meanings are coming from the man himself.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: "Cauterize" Song Meanings

Post by Fish Tacos »

Dark Trip is about a personal relationship where somebody was working for me, for the band and I welcome him into my family, showing love and affection, our wife and kids were friends and he took advantage of me and the band and everybody around, it was just those moments where you can't believe someone could do something like that.
Box set? :shifty

Cool article minus a bunch of typos.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Yeah seriously, their English translation was not great. But still it was very insightful.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Wow, many songs are either politically inspired or fit into the happenings with Stapp.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I thought that too, about the second thing. If Another Heart is actually about Stapp, then what he says kind of insinuates he does not like him anymore.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

AB4Lyfe wrote:http://www.rockurlife.net/interview/eng ... i-15-04-15
Cauterize is about a tyrant leading his country to the ground. Every time I wake up and turn on the news, you'll hear about somebody in Syria running the country into the ground and using chemical weapons against his own population or North Korea completely just the most backwards ass country in the world, treating their people like dogs, Iran, Irak, every time you turn on the news, you see. Once these people get rounded out, there's another guy who steps in 6 months later and do the same thing. So Cauterize refers to the corruption of the absolute power.
Well that makes the "another one will arrive when I'm erased" line make some sense.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Yeah, good call Ubik!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

So what exactly is Fall Again about then? Anyone want to take a guess seeing as how Mark skipped that one?

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:So what exactly is Fall Again about then? Anyone want to take a guess seeing as how Mark skipped that one?
Another Heart's probably not about Scott Stapp, but Fall Again would fit the situation with Creed very well.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Fall Again is about holding yourself accountable to a cause and repeatedly failing but continuing forward with it again. The interesting part to me is that within the context of Cauterize, this song could be from the perspective of the people oppressed under the regime holding themselves accountable to the indoctrination and propaganda and possibly even trying to propagate it onto others (e.g. North Koreans, ISIS, etc).

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

I swear I saw a video interview or something where mark said Radical Change was about Creed breaking up and Alter bridge forming.

If so, there's a few lines that say Creed is done.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Well yes and no. I think he said the words radical change kept coming to his mind when he was singing the melody to that song, and the only radical change he could think he had gone through in life was when Creed first broke up. He was writing more towards his mindset a dozen years ago, not today.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Another Track-by-Track:

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme ... 713296-all
"Cauterize"

"It was the first song we actually put together on the whole album. Right off the bat, there was the opening riff.
Oh really, Tremonti had the opening riff right off the bat? Well, probably because the riff consists basically of 0000000000000000 ? :shifty :D

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Mr. Slash wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Another Track-by-Track:

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme ... 713296-all
"Cauterize"

"It was the first song we actually put together on the whole album. Right off the bat, there was the opening riff.
Oh really, Tremonti had the opening riff right off the bat? Well, probably because the riff consists basically of 0000000000000000 ? :shifty :D

it's going to go over nicely with the Djent crowd. :P