The Little Things in "Cauterize"

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Little Things in "Cauterize"

Post by Timotheus »

It's a 2.5 step, so it's probably not a bend indeed. Maybe he used the tuning knobs?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

mockingbird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mockingbird »

Could be a whammy, or a slide :p

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It could also be some studio magic. I don't think they do whole takes in the studio.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Huh, apparently, the effects Mark used at the intro of Fall Again was something that he did from a demo in 2001 or 2002.
“Fall Again” is a strange track—in a good way. Did you always have that ominous reverse delay intro and outro?

I did, yeah. When Creed was breaking up and I was putting Alter Bridge together, I bought a studio and took some engineering courses. I bought a Pro Tools rig and recorded about 10 songs. “Fall Again” was one of them. That intro was me doing volume swells with my guitar. I found this really great preset on a plugin called Atmosphere—it sounds incredible—so I used that for the intro and outro. Actually, what you hear is from a demo I did in 2001 or 2002. We tried to recreate it, but the original demo sounded great, so we just kept it.
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/2 ... ime?page=3

Also, I want to note the intro that he did for Fall Again was something that reminded me of Metallica's Damage Inc. and it was interesting to see how the songs diverge after those intro. One song just goes ahead and go all straight up aggressive and fury and the other goes into a darkish, somberish, ballad-like sound, but both worked out well.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That's pretty cool...and really makes me wonder if that really is the same riff he had that was used for Save Me. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

So the Save Me riff is actually the Fall Again riff and not the other way around?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

coldenscence
Bought The CDs

Post by coldenscence »

Does anyone else appreciates the bridge part of Arm Yourself as much as i do?... It's definitely the highlight of the whole album for me. The way that Tremonti mellows down that insane riff, the masterful composition of drumming, that "Eastern" guitar solo... It's just magnificent

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

As much as I LOVE that bridge, I would have rather had the song keep charging on.