Cauterize Album Chart Positions

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: Cauterize Album Chart Positions

Post by chtimixeur »

Mr. Slash wrote: whats the problem with elvis?
Mark uses him too much, and he's not a metal producer per se.
When you hire him album after album, everything starts sounding the same after a while.

Mark needs to differentiate his projects a little bit more. Right now, Tremonti is just a slight variation of AB.
Using another metal producer with a different approach would definitely help the Tremonti project to have its own unique sound.
I even have a few names for him : Andy Sneap, Terry Date, Colin Richardson, Jason Suecof.
As long as he stays away from Johnny K, Howard Benson, Logan Mader, Greg Fidelman and of course Elvis, everything should be fine.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with that. I've seen the Elvis' argument come up a few times so after you provided alternatives, I decided to look up the albums Andy Sneap and Terry Date have worked on using some of their more recent stuff to get a feel for their current equipment. Then I looked up some of the work Elvis has done for other groups besides AB and Tremonti. Comparing the two sets, Elvis' sound just seems fuller, warmer with more of a resounding impact and those metal albums seem like flatter, hollower sounds to me. Somebody may think he sucks at cymbals or something but overall, it seems like a much better package "sonically" as I've heard Mark put it.

Of course, I'm willing to listen if you want to give me two specific songs to compare.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I can understand why Andy Sneap gets criticised. I'm not his biggest fan, mainly because he has a tendency to mess with the drums. In the end, all his albums have the same kind of sound.
But Terry Date is a legend.
He worked with Pantera, the Deftones, and more recently, Soulfly and Slayer. And guess what ? Slayer hasn't sounded that good in 25 years, and the Soulfly album sounded awesome, even though the actual songs weren't that good. But what can a producer do about that ? If the inspiration is not there, it's not there.