Chronological Order of Tracks

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
TurningStones
Brand New Start

Chronological Order of Tracks

Post by TurningStones »

Now that some forum users have received their copy of the Mark Tremonti/John Shirley novel, I was wondering if the novel provides a better idea of what order the songs should be in to tell a story. I haven't gotten around to ordering the novel yet, but I wanted to get a clearer idea of the underlying story and I was wondering if someone would be able to help chronologically sequence the songs.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Chronological Order of Tracks

Post by Andy92 »

TurningStones wrote:Now that some forum users have received their copy of the Mark Tremonti/John Shirley novel, I was wondering if the novel provides a better idea of what order the songs should be in to tell a story. I haven't gotten around to ordering the novel yet, but I wanted to get a clearer idea of the underlying story and I was wondering if someone would be able to help chronologically sequence the songs.
I’ve only read the first 3 chapters. The first act is called As The Silence Becomes Me. I think the songs are gonna be all over the place chronologically in comparison to the novel lol. I’m sure myself and others can give you a better answer after reading more.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

TurningStones
Brand New Start

Post by TurningStones »

Andy92 wrote:
TurningStones wrote:Now that some forum users have received their copy of the Mark Tremonti/John Shirley novel, I was wondering if the novel provides a better idea of what order the songs should be in to tell a story. I haven't gotten around to ordering the novel yet, but I wanted to get a clearer idea of the underlying story and I was wondering if someone would be able to help chronologically sequence the songs.
I’ve only read the first 3 chapters. The first act is called As The Silence Becomes Me. I think the songs are gonna be all over the place chronologically in comparison to the novel lol. I’m sure myself and others can give you a better answer after reading more.
Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I finished the book and I’m going to try to piece this together the best I can. I know it won’t be perfect because my memory of exact order is slightly off when the events of two songs happen within the same chapter or two. But I think this order is at least a good general idea of how the book’s story flows.

As The Silence Becomes Me
Trust
Throw Them To The Lions
Traipse
A Dying Machine
The First The Last
The Day When Legions Burned
Make It Hurt
A Lot Like Sin
Bringer Of War
From The Sky
Desolation
Take You With Me

The two I’m the most iffy on are Trust and A Lot Like Sin. The lyrics are too vague for me to place the exact conversations, although I had an idea of what each song was referencing. The songs don’t portray an even distribution of the book. A Dying Machine / The First The Last takes place over 200 pages in, and the book only has 300 pages. So a lot of these songs are packed into the 3rd act. It makes sense because that’s where the bulk of the action takes place. The first 100 pages is mostly introducing the characters and setting the background for the story/world as a whole.

Also, I’d be happy to share my reasoning behind my choices, I just didn’t want to start loading down tons of book spoilers in here.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:I finished the book and I’m going to try to piece this together the best I can. I know it won’t be perfect because my memory of exact order is slightly off when the events of two songs happen within the same chapter or two. But I think this order is at least a good general idea of how the book’s story flows.

As The Silence Becomes Me
Trust
Throw Them To The Lions
Traipse
A Dying Machine
The First The Last
The Day When Legions Burned
Make It Hurt
A Lot Like Sin
Bringer Of War
From The Sky
Desolation
Take You With Me

The two I’m the most iffy on are Trust and A Lot Like Sin. The lyrics are too vague for me to place the exact conversations, although I had an idea of what each song was referencing. The songs don’t portray an even distribution of the book. A Dying Machine / The First The Last takes place over 200 pages in, and the book only has 300 pages. So a lot of these songs are packed into the 3rd act. It makes sense because that’s where the bulk of the action takes place. The first 100 pages is mostly introducing the characters and setting the background for the story/world as a whole.

Also, I’d be happy to share my reasoning behind my choices, I just didn’t want to start loading down tons of book spoilers in here.
The list I had started only managed to get ATSBM, Traipse, TFTL, TDWLB, and BOW in that order But at least I can see we have the same order for those ones :lol Andy, if you dont mind, could you please share in here or PM Me (whatever you think is best for the thread/spoilers) what pages and sections from the book you read that you think each of the songs take place in? (I.E - As The Silence Becomes Me ; perspective: <name> to <name>; Pages: xxx-xxx? Pages: xxx-xxx?)I already had a word document going in that format (just with the details removed here for spoiler reasons :lol )that kind of has some songs and the pages I figured they spanned but obviously you had a better understanding of where the rest of the songs fit. :lol And I'd like to hear your reasoning behind your choices, too! :D

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I’ll just post some thoughts here. DON’T KEEP READING IF YOU HAVEN’T READ THE BOOK. :lol

ATSBM as the opener fits as Brennan feeling down about not being with his wife anymore, and it’s his motivation to enter the Vessel lottery in the first place. The next 2 songs I was iffy with, but I thought Trust seemed like a conversation between Stella and Brennan before she starts to go completely insane. It just seemed like a generic song about moving on from the past (which in Brennan’s case would be moving on from his wife).

Throw Them To The Lions seems like the conversation Ares has with his inner group of Vessels early on in the book. Saturn, Jupiter, etc. It’s him planting the seed of what he wants to do. The songs seems to reference the Vessel recall/walking into the fire, and Ares plans to stop the process once “I wake and will throw them to the lions.”

Traipse is obvious, Stella going through the woods to escape. A Dying Machine follows this when she confronts Brennan after escaping the island (their conversation even references mechanical cradle/synthetic embrace). This song and The First The Last happen almost simultaneously because Stella goes numb as soon as she realizes what she’s done.

The Day When Legions Burned picks up as Stella is being brought to the furnace at the recall. Make It Hurt is shortly after this when Ares takes over and liberates all the Vessels with his grand speech.

I think A Lot Like Sin happens at some point after this when Ares is talking to Stella and Venus is becoming bitter about their relationship.

The next two songs go together fairly closely. Bringer Of War is pretty obvious since the book references the song lyrics spoken by Ares. From The Sky comes not long after this when the Vessels get their hands on three fighter jets and start reigning down terror “from the sky.”

Desolation seems to fit in a couple different ways. One is with the nuke going off, the other part is when Rhapsody references one of the lyrics when Stella is talking to her towards the end of the book. I’m pretty sure she mentioned laying her body down/open the sky, take me in. I’d have to get the book for the exact line there.

Take You With Me happens last because it’s referencing Stella taking Rhapsody with her, might even include Daisy in there as well since Stella takes her hand a lot. But I’m pretty sure the song in general is from Stella’s point of view in taking her sisters with her.

That’s what I pieced together. Exact page numbers are tough without a kindle version, and I didn’t write anything down as I was reading the book. I just kinda winged this all from memory after I finished reading tonight lol. I don’t think it’s 100% correct. I’m mostly iffy on the beginning and what conversation Trust is from. But I’m pretty confident in everything from Traipse forward.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:I’ll just post some thoughts here. DON’T KEEP READING IF YOU HAVEN’T READ THE BOOK. :lol

ATSBM as the opener fits as Brennan feeling down about not being with his wife anymore, and it’s his motivation to enter the Vessel lottery in the first place.

Interesting that we both have different reasons for why this song is first :headscratch When I was going through the novel I pretty much figured the song was about Rhapsody saying she didn't want to be alone anymore to Stella. Especially when Mark said this about the song: "A being who is isolated and left alone for years, and in the end is driven into madness by its own imaginary ghosts." Which sounds like Rhapsody to me.

The next 2 songs I was iffy with, but I thought Trust seemed like a conversation between Stella and Brennan before she starts to go completely insane. It just seemed like a generic song about moving on from the past (which in Brennan’s case would be moving on from his wife).

I was looking through the novel for a conversation between Ares and Stella that reminded me of Trust because Mark had mentioned one point in an interview that the song was a "Conversation between Stella and Ares where Ares is trying to convince Stella to follow him. Ares happens to be obsessed with Stella." But I didnt really find one. Maybe you'd know what he meant by this or maybe Trust is actually about Stella and Brennan and Mark just forgot :lol

Throw Them To The Lions seems like the conversation Ares has with his inner group of Vessels early on in the book. Saturn, Jupiter, etc. It’s him planting the seed of what he wants to do. The songs seems to reference the Vessel recall/walking into the fire, and Ares plans to stop the process once “I wake and will throw them to the lions.”

Traipse is obvious, Stella going through the woods to escape. A Dying Machine follows this when she confronts Brennan after escaping the island (their conversation even references mechanical cradle/synthetic embrace). This song and The First The Last happen almost simultaneously because Stella goes numb as soon as she realizes what she’s done.

The Day When Legions Burned picks up as Stella is being brought to the furnace at the recall. Make It Hurt is shortly after this when Ares takes over and liberates all the Vessels with his grand speech.

I think A Lot Like Sin happens at some point after this when Ares is talking to Stella and Venus is becoming bitter about their relationship.

The next two songs go together fairly closely. Bringer Of War is pretty obvious since the book references the song lyrics spoken by Ares. From The Sky comes not long after this when the Vessels get their hands on three fighter jets and start reigning down terror “from the sky.”

I kept trying to find any reference to From The Sky and when I read your take on the song with the armed gunships (I dont think they had fighter jets, just gunships) I went to the book and only really found one page that the armed gunships are referenced to to be in their possession, but I thought they never really got to use them before they were blown up?)

Desolation seems to fit in a couple different ways. One is with the nuke going off, the other part is when Rhapsody references one of the lyrics when Stella is talking to her towards the end of the book. I’m pretty sure she mentioned laying her body down/open the sky, take me in. I’d have to get the book for the exact line there.

Take You With Me happens last because it’s referencing Stella taking Rhapsody with her, might even include Daisy in there as well since Stella takes her hand a lot. But I’m pretty sure the song in general is from Stella’s point of view in taking her sisters with her.

Another case of Mark mentioning different characters as the viewpoints of this song (The way I fit it into the story is a scene where the main aggressive character in the book who starts his rebellion. He falls in love with Stella, this main character, and he’s kind of telling her, “Don’t be ashamed of what you aren’t proud of and what you are, follow me, and I’ll show you the way here.” So, he’s kind of obsessed with her and doing his best to win her over.) had me looking for a conversation between them similar to the song but I couldnt find one again :lol So again; maybe you're right and its Stella/Rhapsody and not Ares/Stella :lol

That’s what I pieced together. Exact page numbers are tough without a kindle version, and I didn’t write anything down as I was reading the book. I just kinda winged this all from memory after I finished reading tonight lol. I don’t think it’s 100% correct. I’m mostly iffy on the beginning and what conversation Trust is from. But I’m pretty confident in everything from Traipse forward.
On top of those comments, here's what I managed to gather based on your take and notes I already had. Its still pretty incomplete and I couldn't even find where the last 2 songs (Trust, Take You With Me) fit.

Throw Them To The Lions (Ares to the Solar System group) Pages 160-162?
“I’ll have justice, oh, don’t you worry!...” - Page 247

As The Silence Becomes Me (Rhapsody to Stella) Pages 170-174? Pages 186-189?
“Dont leave me alone again, Stella! I’ve been waiting for a friend my whole life!” - Page 189

Traipse (Stella POV) Pages 197-203

A Dying Machine (Stella and Brennan) Pages 212-213
mechanical cradle, synthetic embrace - Page 213

The First The Last (Stella to Brennan) Page 213
“You were the first, the last, the air I breathed” - Page 213
“You were the heartbeat in the core of me” - Page 213

The Day When Legions Burned (Vessels POV) 223-229ish

Make It Hurt (Ares to Vessels) Pages 234-236

From The Sky (Vessels get 3 Armed Gunships) Page 242

Bringer of War (Ares to Vessels) Pages 247-249
“I am indeed the Bringer of War...” - Page 247
“I am the breaker of chains...” - Page 248
“I will light up the world and blacken the skies” - Page 249
“I am drawing a line, painted with blood, in the sand” - Page 249

A Lot Like Sin (Venus to Stella) Pages 254-256?

Desolation (Rhapsody) Page 294?
"I lay my body down" - Page 294

Found (End Credits Theme)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I hadn’t listened to Mark’s interviews about the book so that does help some. I had forgotten about that first conversation between Stella and Rhapsody, and that does fit with the theme of As The Silence Becomes Me. Trust being between Ares and Stella was also an idea I played around with, I just couldn’t remember an exact scene. So it might go in the second half of songs after the events of Make It Hurt.

And with From The Sky, you’ve got the whole plotline with the nuke going on that it also seems to fit with. I still think it’s a later song because of the lyrically content, maybe just a reference to dropping the nuke from the sky.

I agree with you on ASTBM and Trust, so the placement of Trust needs moved in my list. If Mark said Take You With Me was Ares’ viewpoint with Stella, then I guess that’s what it’s referencing. I just think it fits really well with Stella/Rhapsody at the end of the book.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:I hadn’t listened to Mark’s interviews about the book so that does help some. I had forgotten about that first conversation between Stella and Rhapsody, and that does fit with the theme of As The Silence Becomes Me. Trust being between Ares and Stella was also an idea I played around with, I just couldn’t remember an exact scene. So it might go in the second half of songs after the events of Make It Hurt.

And with From The Sky, you’ve got the whole plotline with the nuke going on that it also seems to fit with. I still think it’s a later song because of the lyrically content, maybe just a reference to dropping the nuke from the sky.

I agree with you on ASTBM and Trust, so the placement of Trust needs moved in my list. If Mark said Take You With Me was Ares’ viewpoint with Stella, then I guess that’s what it’s referencing. I just think it fits really well with Stella/Rhapsody at the end of the book.
If only we had more people who finished the novel that could share some input :/ There was a private FB group created recently to discuss the novel but that group has been dead for a couple days so I dont know what's going on there :lol Maybe you should join it and share what you posted here :lol

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

SHEA.

YOU NEED A TREMONTI INTERVENTION.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

NO I DON'T JANA

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WHO NEED AN INTERVENTION SAY.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

WHY ARE WE YELLING?
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Dead weight here

Post by gbruin »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Andy92 wrote:I hadn’t listened to Mark’s interviews about the book so that does help some. I had forgotten about that first conversation between Stella and Rhapsody, and that does fit with the theme of As The Silence Becomes Me. Trust being between Ares and Stella was also an idea I played around with, I just couldn’t remember an exact scene. So it might go in the second half of songs after the events of Make It Hurt.

If only we had more people who finished the novel that could share some input :/ There was a private FB group created recently to discuss the novel but that group has been dead for a couple days so I dont know what's going on there :lol Maybe you should join it and share what you posted here :lol
I've just waiting for Shea to give me the answer. I caught a lot of lyrics while reading but by the time I thought to make notes, I was too far in to want to go back. So between the two of you, I have nothing to add.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:....
Andy, someone on the FB group Im in had this as their outline for the album....Do you want to join the group to discuss with us because it seems we all still have different ideas :lol

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I don’t really feel like I have much time to devote to a debate on this...but I honestly have no idea how they placed some of those tracks that have no page number references lol.

Are they assuming Take You With Me is from the first time Ares sees Stella earlier in the book? I just don’t see it. I feel like it’s in the second half after Ares liberates them all. Make It Hurt seems like it’s gotta be about Ares’ big speech when all of the Vessels say the phrase to free each other.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:I don’t really feel like I have much time to devote to a debate on this...but I honestly have no idea how they placed some of those tracks that have no page number references lol.

Are they assuming Take You With Me is from the first time Ares sees Stella earlier in the book? I just don’t see it. I feel like it’s in the second half after Ares liberates them all. Make It Hurt seems like it’s gotta be about Ares’ big speech when all of the Vessels say the phrase to free each other.
Alright No problem :lol :peace . I mean I probably agree with your timeline either way to be honest :lol

Jsetzler
Brand New Start

Post by Jsetzler »

What about the bonus track Now or Never? Does it fit in anywhere or was it just a track that didn't go with the story? I have my copy of the book ordered, hopefully receiving it end of this week/beginning of next and trying to get an idea (same as everyone else).

TheNeilness
Brand New Start

Post by TheNeilness »

After looking at the lyrics, I think Now or Never possibly fits right after Make It Hurt/Ares' big speech to the Vessels. The chorus and a couple verses make me think it fits around that time in the book. These lyrics really pop out to me:

It's now or never
Waste just one moment
You will be lost forever
Retribution, it lies straight a
Lies straight ahead

Play the fool, just one more day
And here you'll end and here you'll stay
Don't look back, 'cause there you'll find
Weakened hearts and broken minds

Can you make us fearless
These gods of war are endless
Deliver us and mending
These gears of war keep turning

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I know this is an old thread, but seeing how the songs seem to go with sections of the book makes me think that Tremonti could possibly do a musical with the book's plot and the songs in that order as the soundtrack.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs