BACON

Re: Marching In Time

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Is it too soon for another "Battle of the Title Tracks" poll thread? :lol

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I like this second song more. the more it went on the more i 'got it'.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I really tried. I really wanted to save this one for the full album experience. I haven't been agreeing with the decisions to release "the epics" as singles on the past couple records from this camp.

A Dying Machine, Love Can Only Heal, Dying Light, The Ides Of March and now Marching In Time... These are all very special songs for these records and have just been handed out weeks before their albums drop.

That said, Marching In Time is fucking spectacular.

The lyrics hit close to home and hit hard given where I'm at in my life right now.
The acoustic fingerpicking is lovely and haunting.
That dissonant bendy note in the "Please promise me..." section caught me off guard at first.
The chorus is powerful!
The extended bridge gives the tune a huge Fortress vibe and I can't get enough!
What a goddamn killer solo to close the song out with.
This may be my new favorite Tremonti track! I'm dying to hear it live. Providence never really got many chances in coincert, I hope this one becomes the live staple that Blackbird has...

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Not quite an album review, but there are some snippets here describing some of the other songs on the album:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tremo ... tle-track/

World-renowned guitarist/songwriter Mark Tremonti will release the fifth album from his solo band TREMONTI, titled "Marching In Time", on September 24, 2021 via Napalm Records. The official music video for the LP's second single, the title track, can be seen below. The song clocks in at 7:34 and tells the story of a father having a child during a global pandemic and how he prepares for life during that time — something Tremonti recently experienced in his own life.

Tremonti is no stranger to storytelling. Throughout his years with top-charting bands ALTER BRIDGE and CREED, and most recently his solo band, Mark has never strayed from his love of writing memorable songs. With "Marching In Time", the band looks to continue this trend while exploring their love for heavy music, drawing from current events from the last year to form the basis of each song. While its predecessor, "A Dying Machine", was an overall concept album seeped in darker sentiments and story, the vibe of "Marching In Time" is different — emerging as a charging rock/metal offering that takes the listener on 12 individual journeys.

From the driving drum beat of opener "A World Away" to the epic closer "Marching In Time", the new album is a reflective look at the world around us today. TREMONTI's unmatched musicianship bleeds through the album, showcased on tracks like "Thrown Further", "In One Piece" and the thought-provoking "Would You Kill". Alternatively, the band displays their softer side on pensive tracks "The Last One Of Us" and "Not Afraid to Lose". Epic title track "Marching In Time" tells the story of a father having a child during a global pandemic and how he prepares for life during that time — something Mark Tremonti recently experienced in his own life — while upcoming single "If Not For You" shows the evolution of the TREMONTI sound in 2021.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Holy shit, Marching In Time is amazing, a truly epic masterpiece, and definitely the best song him or Alter Bridge have put out since Cauterize/Fortress. Providence so far has been my favourite Tremonti song by far, but this is either on the same level or even surpasses it. I'm at a loss of words, really. This song makes me feel everything I want music to make me feel.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Marching In Time gets better with each listen, it’s a proper gem of a song.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

riemslag1 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:20 am Remarkable, still no Walmart and Bestbuy exclusives. There will be a CD-version with the bonustrack eventually. Perhaps a Japanese version ?
Best Buy stopped selling CDs a few years ago. Year Of The Tiger was one of their last exclusives.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Wow, I love Marching In Time! Absolutely horrendous sonics, though. Criminal.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

this fucking rrrrrrrrrrrrips, you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Hurts So Good!!!!! Incredible Album!

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

solo definitely reminds me of the odr / blackbird days

into it

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

After letting the title track sit for a few days I think it’s his third best “epic” behind Blackbird and Fortress. Definitely tops songs like Providence, The Last Hero, and Dying Light for me.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I think its his 2nd best epic after Blackbird, personally.

Blackbird
Marching In Time
Fortress
A Dying Machine
Providence
This Side of Fate
The Last Hero
Cry of Achilles
Words Darker Than Their Wings
Dying Light
Any other "epics" I may have missed

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:32 pm I think its his 2nd best epic after Blackbird, personally.

Blackbird
Marching In Time
Fortress
A Dying Machine
Providence
This Side of Fate
The Last Hero
Cry of Achilles
Dying Light
Words is definitely top 5.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

If the verses had been more like the low bridge and there would've been more of a build-up throughout the song towards that solo and outro, this could've been Tremonti's opus. There are some spectacular moments on this song.

But all in all, it feels like "just" another 6/8 epic to me. It slightly tops a song like Providence, because of the quiet bridge and the outro, and also because I really like the lyrics, but for the rest... I don't know.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Timotheus wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:19 pm If the verses had been more like the low bridge and there would've been more of a build-up throughout the song towards that solo and outro, this could've been Tremonti's opus. There are some spectacular moments on this song.

But all in all, it feels like "just" another 6/8 epic to me. It slightly tops a song like Providence, because of the quiet bridge and the outro, and also because I really like the lyrics, but for the rest... I don't know.
It's interesting how what one person identifies as a weakness, another views as a strength. I like the unconventional song structure - getting to the chorus of a 7+ minute song within 90 seconds is pretty bold. For me it works so spectacularly because of the rising melody of said chorus. The song is constantly escalating instead of slowly building and I love that about it.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:32 pm I think its his 2nd best epic after Blackbird, personally.

Blackbird
Marching In Time
Fortress
A Dying Machine
Providence
This Side of Fate
The Last Hero
Cry of Achilles
Dying Light
I'd put Waters Rising and Forever Falling above at least half of these. For me the running time is less important in how massive a song is / sounds.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

speaking of longer "epic" songs, i think a lot of you would appreciate this masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sya6Jh2pwzA

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

1. Creed - Faceless Man
2. Alter Bridge - Words Darker Than Their Wings
3. Alter Bridge - Dying Light
4. Creed - Who's Got My Back?
5. Alter Bridge - Blackbird
6. Alter Bridge - This Side of Fate
7. Alter Bridge - Fortress