Marching In Time

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Marching In Time

Post by Mr. Slash »

chtimixeur wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:49 pm I never understood the appeal of Godspeed. I really tried to like it, but it never clicked with me
Yeah. I really like many parts of that song, but the chorus is kinda killing it for me.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

chtimixeur wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:25 am I just like that Eastern sounding stuff.
But this bridge comes out of nowhere, and it doesn't really fit with the rest of the song.
I also forgot to say I love how hard Ryan his getting those drums during that part. Unlike many here, I don't miss Garrett, and I think Ryan gives more spark to the songs.
Oh how we differ. I feel like Ryan is a more technical version of Flip, where Garrett was like a much more technical version of Lars Ulrich/Dave Lombardo and that was part of what gave Tremonti it's separate identity.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I'm not hearing any influence from Lars Ulrich or Dave Lombardo, and I'm extremely familiar with both those drummers.
Lars is a mess these days, and all he does is play ridiculous fills everywhere to avoid getting bored. He's become a real liability, but I'll never deny his importance when it comes to creating songs. Back in the day, he was really creative ang coming up with parts no one would think of in the metal world.
On the other hand, Dave Lombardo is a savage whose raw power is still undeniable. When he starts playing double bass, he always takes the songs to another level (e.g. Silent Scream).
Garrett's playing always sounded flat to me. He looked like he was having fun on stage, but his playing never sounded that spectacular.

PS : sorry for the misspelling in my previous message. One sentence made absolutely no sense!

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

scarecrow wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:01 pm I still think Cauterize and Dust should've been one album. 11-12 songs. Release the rest as a Record Store Day exclusive or something. One strong album > two mediocre albums. In my opinion.
For most double albums I'd agree, but for me when he released the two independently I didn't even realize they were from the same sessions. I gave both albums an independent listen and really like both of them. I'd hate to see what songs would be cut if it were only one album. On the other hand, I can't think of a single double album I like. It's always too much music at once and too much filler.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Marching in Time reached chart position 10 in Germany. That's not much worse than the last Alter Bridge records (WTS and TLH charted on #5, Fortress on #7).

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

iTunesCharts.net pretty much shows the same pattern in all the regions I checked for MIT; It debuted at a number like #2, #3, #4, etc and then within the span of 4-5+ days it nosedives all the way down to the 70s-90s.

Not exactly sure what the most official charts platform is or how to gauge how its doing globally, though.

http://www.itunescharts.net/artists/mus ... g-in-time/

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

chtimixeur wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:28 am I'm not hearing any influence from Lars Ulrich or Dave Lombardo, and I'm extremely familiar with both those drummers.
Lars is a mess these days, and all he does is play ridiculous fills everywhere to avoid getting bored. He's become a real liability, but I'll never deny his importance when it comes to creating songs. Back in the day, he was really creative ang coming up with parts no one would think of in the metal world.
On the other hand, Dave Lombardo is a savage whose raw power is still undeniable. When he starts playing double bass, he always takes the songs to another level (e.g. Silent Scream).
Garrett's playing always sounded flat to me. He looked like he was having fun on stage, but his playing never sounded that spectacular.

PS : sorry for the misspelling in my previous message. One sentence made absolutely no sense!
I'm not referring to current Ulrich or Lombardo. Garrett has a tendency to lock in with what the guitar is doing, which is very reminiscent of Ulrich and he loves a good skank beat, double bass drums and warp-speed fill which is very Lombardo. His style is very much more thrash than what is on this current album.

I couldn't disagree harder on his playing sounding flat, I thought it had a lot of energy and a very human quality. That's just something subjective though, I guess. It's a bit like the Portnoy v. Mangini debate.

Hey though, if you like Ryan's drumming, more power to you. It's just not my bag.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Ryan's drumming is similar to Flip's, I don't hear as much up tempo double bass extravaganza with those two as opposed to what Garrett was doing. Nothing really stands out on MIT with the drumming though, Ryan is just a rock solid player and that is what this band really needs. I really like the ending of the title track though, some really cool fills to keep things interesting.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Ryan is great. I don't miss Garrett at all.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

davidstvz wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:10 am
scarecrow wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:01 pm I still think Cauterize and Dust should've been one album. 11-12 songs. Release the rest as a Record Store Day exclusive or something. One strong album > two mediocre albums. In my opinion.
For most double albums I'd agree, but for me when he released the two independently I didn't even realize they were from the same sessions. I gave both albums an independent listen and really like both of them. I'd hate to see what songs would be cut if it were only one album. On the other hand, I can't think of a single double album I like. It's always too much music at once and too much filler.
I also didn't catch up with those two until after Dust was already out. But I knew they were from the same sessions. So I unfortunately had the double album experience. :lol

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Would like to see those two on vinyl. Or in 1 vinyl boxset.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

scarecrow wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:50 pm
davidstvz wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:10 am
I also didn't catch up with those two until after Dust was already out. But I knew they were from the same sessions. So I unfortunately had the double album experience. :lol
That's what I guessed!

The closest thing to a double album that I do like is Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusions. I don't love every song by any stretch, but there is a lot of stuff that most would consider album filler that are among my favorite songs (things like Bad Obsession and Shotgun Blues).

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Honestly the newest AB album was more experimental than MIT.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

AB and Tremonti almost always deliver the goods, and I enjoy a lot of Mark's and Myles' work, but there's almost nothing experimental or progressive about their music.
It's just good modern hard rock for the most part.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

I've seen some other "sounds like" comparisons for Not Afraid to Lose, but has anyone noticed it sounds just like the bridge in Unable to See (the "and I swear, I'll never fall from here" part)? Like... A lot?

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Speaking of Not Afraid to Lose, instrumentally, it could definitely be an AB III era Alter Bridge song.
I've focused on the music only, and I think this instrumental could have been a perfect fit for Myles. The part that starts at 3:33 almost sounds like something he could written in the Mayfield Four days.
gbruin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:24 am Not Afraid To Lose is the best Creed song in years and I love it.
Wrong band! ;)

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

cheesedip1 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:02 am Honestly the newest AB album was more experimental than MIT.
Did he ever mention that this album is going to be experimental?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Mr. Slash wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:14 pm
cheesedip1 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:02 am Honestly the newest AB album was more experimental than MIT.
No, for some reason people think Mark is going to write a prog rock album when he’s always been a really, really good modern hard rock artist.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Andy92 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:01 pm
Mr. Slash wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:14 pm
No, for some reason people think Mark is going to write a prog rock album when he’s always been a really, really good modern hard rock artist.
Not really. Some people just hoped for something different than the last four records. It's a good album, just pretty safe and exactly what I think he would do after TDM. It would be cool if he branched out a little bit, being almost 15 albums into his career as the main songwriter but after all these years you get labelled a certain way and you need to provide for your family so there's not much room to experiment.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Dolo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:14 pm Not really. Some people just hoped for something different than the last four records. It's a good album, just pretty safe and exactly what I think he would do after TDM. It would be cool if he branched out a little bit, being almost 15 albums into his career as the main songwriters but after all these years you get labelled a certain way and you need to provide for your family so there's not much room to experiment.
The typical hard rock band that changes their sound (Shinedown for example) doesn’t change it for the better. It becomes more pop-like to make more money. The fact that Mark is still making hard rock with some metal riffs thrown in sets him apart over most of the bands in the genre who drift out of it imo.

If his new songs were bland/bad I’d see your point, but he still makes really good hard rock music. Compare Marching in Time to the newest albums from bands like Shinedown, Halestorm, Breaking Benjamin, etc, and the quality is miles ahead.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.