The Cage - Soundgarden homage?

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

The Cage - Soundgarden homage?

Post by davidstvz »

First time I heard "The Cage" (2nd track on Dust) I felt like the opening guitar riff had a serious Soundgarden vibe going. And then Tremonti's voice is presented in a way that makes me think of Cornell as well. And the song name could be a reference to "Rusty Cage". Anyone else thinking that? I wonder if Tremonti has every said anything about that in interviews. Maybe it's just me.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Re: The Cage - Soundgarden homage?

Post by UninvitedZero »

Can't say I've ever made the connection there. Never been a massive Soundgarden fan, so that might be why...

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I am one and have never made the connection either :lol But I also don't like The Cage and never listen to it, which also may be why. You never know though, Mark's a big Soundgarden fan too.
For all of the hope that it brings...

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Yep, probably just me then. I can see why someone wouldn't like the song. I don't like the chorus all that much to be honest, but the opening is really cool.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

If you hadn't mentioned Rusty Cage I wouldn't have noticed, but yeah, there is a resemblance. And agreed, it's an awful track. That verse riff comes absolutely out of nowhere and doesn't fit the rest at all.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I always thought the song was pretty catchy lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I certainly wouldn't say it's awful, but it's less than fully realized and a bit awkward at times. Like any song from a good artist, some people will hate it and some will love it, and for most people it could grow on you if you give it a chance.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

You know, listening again... there is a resemblance! Also hard love that break into the bridge. But yeah, the rest isn't my favourite.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I love the guitar solo of The Cage tho

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

You know, I can take this to another level. I just tried to learn Rusty Cage for the first time and it's in Drop B (from standard). Tremonti's The Cage is in Drop B (from 3 half steps down; i.e. Drop D 3 half-steps down). So the tuning is very similar. Actually Rusty Cage plays very well in Tremonti's tuning.

The opening riff in Rusty Cage uses intervals from A up to B (there is a B to C# interval as well). The Cage uses pull-offs from a high A (10th fret) to a low B (0th fret of the 4th string) though Mark works in an F# as well and at the end of the main riff he uses the same A to B interval that's in Rusty Cage. This must be intentional.