Scott Stapp Public Statement (Updated: On Nightline Tonight)

A place for all Creed discussion.
Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Re: Scott Stapp Public Statement

Post by Finaldecision »

I think someone on Creednation summed it up very well:

"I can't take much more of this! ..i mean scotts supposed to be messed on all kinds of sh*t, right? ..but in his videos for the most part he comes off as usual everyday stapp, accept for the unusual lip smacking and for some reason he won't mention his wife or why he's not at home. jagger supposedly says his father chose drugs and alcohol over his family, but brian says he seems fine. then theres those stupid tweets he posts about what songs he's listening to, really? of all the sh*t going on in ur life u think we give 2 cr@ps about what songs ur enjoying. and ya he probably is tellin the truth about money being stollen from him, happens allot in the music buisness, but he must be in serious denile if he thinks he can draw us all away from all of these outragious claims being made towards him ..the only way this makes sense to me is if i agnore everything he 's said so farr, and it's his family that makes this all the more clear, it's his dead givaway. and it seems like he has tons of people who care about him and want to get him help, but he's seemed to just push everybody away ..my advice to anyone trying to help Scott Stapp, PUSH HARDER!!!"

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

There's another interesting comment I found on Creednation about something nobody mentioned here:

"I think the day he (Scott Stapp) decided to give up his part of the Creed lawsuit with Mark against windup and settle with them to get his 1 album deal, he screwed himself. I think he put his all into trying so hard to make that album a financial success not only for personal financial needs but because it was only a 1 album deal, after that what was he going to do if it was not successful?"

Does anyone know more about that lawsuit and why Stapp dropped it?

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

That's a very good point. I had no idea that he got a one album deal in exchange for dropping his part of the Creed lawsuit. Like I said before my theory is that he put everything into that solo album and really bet everything he had on making it a success and when it wasn't I think that played a really big part in driving him back to his addiction.

I really feel bad for him because it seems like ever since Creed broke up the first time, he lost his way. Sure, things started to unravel before Creed broke up and his addictions were the reason for it but think about the time period, he got into that car accident and things really started to go downhill. We hear the stories all the time about what record companies do when they have a success on their hands, they care nothing about the artist and do everything they can to keep you going. That's the reason that I believe Scott fell into addiction as bad as he did, because he didn't want to disappoint.

Long story short I think he's lost without Creed careerwise, after all they must've been like family to each other at one point.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Mark got 2.4 million in that settlement.
I doubt Stapp got as much money from Wind-up for his solo album and promotion. Once again, he completely got screwed, and he's the only one to blame.
Rock band Creed's Grammy Award-winning guitarist, Mark Tremonti, will receive $2.4 million to settle allegations he was cheated out of a larger stake in the publishing business of the band's record label, hours after jurors heard opening arguments in a Manhattan trial on Tuesday.
Tremonti had alleged that Wind Up Records Inc.'s late owner, Alan Meltzer, had promised him a 24.5 percent equity stake in some of Wind Up's music publishing subsidiaries in exchange for using the label's lesser-known bands as openers as Creed toured at the height of its popularity in the early 2000s.
Tremonti and Creed vocalist Scott Stapp both sued over the alleged oral deal in 2011, but Stapp settled his case in December. Terms of Stapp's settlement were not disclosed.
http://www.law360.com/articles/479008/c ... shing-deal

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

oh yeah, thanks I remember

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Putting this huge amount of money aside, could this also be the reason the relationsship between Mark and Scott broke down? As far as I remember they suddenly seemed to dislike each other during their 2012 Creed tour. Everyone wondered about what was going on in the background.

---

This guy from Creednation who wrote about the sue against Wind-Up brought some other interesting aspects to the table:

"Using Creed's band page for himself all that time was a huge mistake because it turned off so many Creed fans. No one went to the solo shows. The solo show turnout was terrible and yet they took it overseas and that is costly. What person made that decision?

I'm betting the financial side after all that went really to shit. He had to let band members go and bring on lower cost musicians. It sounds like he was devasted by that and wanted to know where the money was.

Then came a break down, maybe drug binge or both. and then the mental hold. Maybe when he got out of the hold he went home and they said it's rehab or you cant live here. I think they did get him to go to rehab but that he soon left. Then came Holiday Inn and videos."

-----
Although I don't agree with his solo album and tour went "terrible". Of course it didn't go too well, but it also wasn't terrible. He had lots of success in the Christian music scene, including #1 singles and playing several Christian festivals this year. At the same time he had some decent success in the secular scene as well, not to mention different TV-, radio- and print-appereances he sure got some money from. I guess that's more than some christian artists who make a living out of their music!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Mark wanted to cancel the last Creed tour in South America in the fall of 2012, but he still did it in the end.
Anyone could tell there was tension between him and Stapp on stage (just watch any video), and it's probably because they didn't keep fighting Windup together until the end. Winning this "battle" together could have strenghtened their bond, but Stapp chose his solo career over a big chunk of money.
The Stapp autobiography probably didn't help either, and let's not forget Stapp had been creating useless drama on the Creed social media since february or march of that year.

My guess is that Mark felt once again betrayed by Stapp when he settled his lawsuit with Windup, and that was probably the last straw. He wanted nothing to do with Creed for a while, and it's probably why he recorded his solo album in the summer instead of using this time to create new Creed tunes with Stapp.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

chtimixeur wrote: Winning this "battle" together could have strenghtened their bond, but Stapp chose his solo career over a big chunk of money.
He could have recorded the album with 2,4 Mio. Dollars all by himself. That was obviously a poor decision by Stapp, though we don't know the details.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

In the article I listed, it says ""Mr. Meltzer never intended … to give a gift to Mr. Tremonti of $7.5 million,", which means Mark managed to get 33 cents for each dollar..

As Stapp said in one of his videos, he's been poorly advised by some of his lawyers, who told him he would be lucky to get 5 cents a dollar. He probably thought he'd get 400.000 dollars at best, and as a consequence, choose to settle with Windup in exchange of a properly promoted solo album.
Usually, a "big" rock album costs between 250.000 and 500.000 dollars to produce if you hire big names, and that's exactly what Stapp did for Proof of Life. He probably thought he was making a good move back then...

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

chtimixeur wrote: As Stapp said in one of his videos, he's been poorly advised by some of his lawyers, who told him he would be lucky to get 5 cents a dollar.
So did he refer to that lawsuit in one of his 3 statement videos?

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

No, I'm fairly certain that was with respect to retrieving his $50M back.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

~Fallen Angel~ wrote:No need to get into it but i'm sure most know what i'm talking about.
Dont think many of us do...
Thanks Timo!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Does anybody know dafuq is going on with Creed's page on facebook? Stapp has just launched a site where he raises money for his 3rd album and.... fiction novel.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

Ha. Someone actually donated.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Dolo wrote:Does anybody know dafuq is going on with Creed's page on facebook? Stapp has just launched a site where he raises money for his 3rd album and.... fiction novel.
lolololol

This doesn't even make sense. You don't "fund" a book project. You write it and then try to find a publisher. Does he think people are going to pay him a salary to go to coffee shops and write? Maybe his page got hacked.
Last edited by Fish Tacos on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berated_girl
Brand New Start

Post by Berated_girl »

Dolo wrote:Does anybody know dafuq is going on with Creed's page on facebook? Stapp has just launched a site where he raises money for his 3rd album and.... fiction novel.
This is crazy. When he's just announced that he's completely broke does anyone actually believe that this money will go towards creating a new album and book?

I'm really worried about his mental state here. I really don't know if he's using drugs but the things he is saying in his videos remind me so much of someone I know who is bipolar.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

~Fallen Angel~ wrote:No, they are not heartless. Brian has a good heart and is very loving. But it's kind of personal so maybe it's best just to zip lips. They havent even talked to him in 2 years. Strikes me as odd , why does no one remember all brian went through? I just don't get that. Anywayzzz, i really do hope he gets well.
Don't worry, I remember. A lot of the fans on here nowadays were too young back then and either weren't a fan (yet or at all) or just weren't old enough to know better or follow the guys like they do now.
Photobucket cash grab.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

It's pretty obvious that he's not stable mentally and I sincerely hope he'll get appropriate treatment as soon as possible. I guess you can't force him to get treatment, as long as you can't proof that he broke the law in any way.
Another thing that makes me worried is that even Jagger supposedly confirmed on Twitter that his father fell back to alcohol and drugs.

As to Brian, I think the personal differences between him and Scott happened about 15 years ago, way before Creed disbanded. Nevertheless this could already have been the ending point for Creed as the communication within the band was bad at the time. Mark also played a role in this. That's why Brian, Mark and Scott Phillips also had to sort things out with him when they started Alter Bridge. But since Creed reunited, Brian always seemed passionated about Creed to me and I think he and Scott Stapp settled their differences. At least that's my impression.

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

Finaldecision wrote:It's pretty obvious that he's not stable mentally and I sincerely hope he'll get appropriate treatment as soon as possible. I guess you can't force him to get treatment, as long as you can't proof that he broke the law in any way.
The most recent reports are that Jaclyn filed a legal document trying to force Scott into a mental institution for two months. I don't know how likely she'll be to succeed in that, but if someone as openly delusional as Stapp can't be forced into a mental hospital, then I don't see who could be.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

creed009 wrote:
Finaldecision wrote:It's pretty obvious that he's not stable mentally and I sincerely hope he'll get appropriate treatment as soon as possible. I guess you can't force him to get treatment, as long as you can't proof that he broke the law in any way.
The most recent reports are that Jaclyn filed a legal document trying to force Scott into a mental institution for two months. I don't know how likely she'll be to succeed in that, but if someone as openly delusional as Stapp can't be forced into a mental hospital, then I don't see who could be.
Being delusional is not a crime. I guess he would have to go voluntarily, as long as he doesn't break the law.