Creed Back Together Soon !!!!

A place for all Creed discussion.
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: Creed Back Together Soon !!!!

Post by chtimixeur »

Devil Inside You wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:37 pmIf Mark wants to do Creed, then they'll do Creed. If he wants to do Alter Bridge, they'll do Alter Bridge. If he wants to be solo they'll do whatever it is they do.
Exactly.
That's why this Tremonti project has always looked a bit selfish to me.
What about Flip and Brian, dude? :P

Devil Inside You wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:37 pm I would absolutely hate for Stapp to have the rights to Creed without Mark
This would be the lesser of two evils.
Why? Because Stapp seems to have more respect for Creed's legacy.
So, if he ended up having the rights, he would try as hard to make music that sounds like the original Creed, just like he did on The Great Divide. Mark's unique talent would largely be missed, but the addition of Brian and Flip would definitely make it an improvement over The Great Divide material.

We've heard Mark's Creed 2.0 version in 2009, and sorry, I'm not interested in this watered down and uninspired Alter Bridge music. This is not what Creed is supposed to sound like. I also think the band should never have become a 5-piece live, because it completely changes its musical dynamic. Back in the day, Brian had a huge role in their sound, but since it's become a guitar-oriented band, his bass lines don't really matter anymore.

I've said it a lot over the years, but I think Mark has such a love/hate relationship with that band, and it's been so long since he wrote a good Creed song that he probably has forgotten what this band was all about musically in the first place. When I hear him say Creed is more commercial and simplistic, I just cringe.

scarecrow wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:40 pm i love blink. i still follow them even though current lineup is... suboptimal lol. new angels & airwaves album is actually a lot better than the last blink record.
The problem with Blink 2.0 is that it sounds too much like 1999-2003 Blink.
Tom has always been their soul, and without him, the music just sounds like a parody.
My guess is that it would also happen to Creed if Mark wasn't involved anymore.
Last edited by chtimixeur on Thu May 26, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:44 am

We've heard Mark's Creed 2.0 version in 2009, and sorry, I'm not interested in this watered down and uninspired Alter Bridge music. This is not what Creed is supposed to sound like. I also think the band should never have become a 5-piece live, because it completely changes the dynamic of the band. Back in the day, Brian had a huge role in their sound, but since it's become a guitar-oriented band, his bass lines don't really matter anymore.

I've said it a lot over the years, but I think Mark has such a love/hate relationship with that band, and it's been so long since he wrote a good Creed song that he probably has forgotten what this band was all about musically in the first place. When I hear him say Creed is more commercial and simplistic, I just cringe.
I agree so much with these two points. Creed is a product of its time and in the 90's rock band, as a result of certain famous grunge bands, Creed was a four piece band. The amount of guitars you have available and what you can perform live with a single guitar directly effect how you approach writing a song and its sound. It affects the texture of the sound and its tenor. Mark thinks this as being simple and commercial, but that's only the effect and not the cause. It all depends on how you approach the project with the tools at your hand. When you only have 1 guitar, can you make a soulful sound that catches and hold the attention of the listener? Or do you need the handicap of the studio and two guitars to do that?

Creed songs were written with 1 guitar in mind and often written being live in mind. "I have 1 guitar at my disposal, how can I perform this?" It may make the sound simpler to perform, but the quality of the sound resulted in what fans liked about creed. Catchy tunes that were bare and spoke to your very soul. Just look at the opening guitars of My Sacrifice. Something that pure and innocent hasn't been replicated from mark since.

Back to what mark said before, saying the creed thing would need three months. This would imply they would take and opposite approach to what they were doing in 2012 - they were purposely touring songs from their first two records only because they both (stapp and mark) acknowledged full circle sounded nothing like creed. Obviously mark would have no intention of trying this approach again. You can hear in More Than This and Devil inside you that it sounded a lot more like Weathered, like creed, than full circle. But if mark just wants to shit out a AB-lite record with the creed label on it, I also have no interest. Put all into it or don't bother.

I would like them to release Grip my soul, which stapp most recently mentioned. And also Do it all over, which can be heard in that unreleased doc. In fact, just release the footage from that documentary and those two songs and I would be happy enough to last me a few more years.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

nagpo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:59 am
I agree so much with these two points. Creed is a product of its time and in the 90's rock band, as a result of certain famous grunge bands, Creed was a four piece band. The amount of guitars you have available and what you can perform live with a single guitar directly effect how you approach writing a song and its sound. It affects the texture of the sound and its tenor. Mark thinks this as being simple and commercial, but that's only the effect and not the cause. It all depends on how you approach the project with the tools at your hand. When you only have 1 guitar, can you make a soulful sound that catches and hold the attention of the listener? Or do you need the handicap of the studio and two guitars to do that?

Creed songs were written with 1 guitar in mind and often written being live in mind. "I have 1 guitar at my disposal, how can I perform this?" It may make the sound simpler to perform, but the quality of the sound resulted in what fans liked about creed. Catchy tunes that were bare and spoke to your very soul. Just look at the opening guitars of My Sacrifice. Something that pure and innocent hasn't been replicated from mark since.
Totally. Your limitations are sometimes something that pushes you to be more creative. And although there are some scarce overdubs with additional rhythm guitar on Creed records, you mostly have just only one part (sometimes doubletracked) that grabs you and that's what made Brian stand out with his low end. I would also say that the bass parts were more interesting on MOP and HC because he wrote them in order to support Mark not only rhytmically but also melodically and on later stuff the bass parts seem a bit like an afterthought.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Great posts, guys.
I definitely agree about the limitations/creativity point.

I'll also add that when you have someone as talented as Brian in your band, bass should never be an afterthought. His basslines are so unique, yet, he's barely heard on the AB records, and when a song of theirs has good bass lines, it usually ends up being a B-side!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Why don't Brian and Flip just start a new band with Stapp and do that in the AB downtime? Not being facetious here, just seems an answer if they really do need gigs and still get on with Stapp. It wouldn't be Creed, but they'd do gigs at least. If they found a guitarist/songwriter as talented as Myles, would be an interesting counterfactual of Creed without Stapp vs Creed without Mark.
For all of the hope that it brings...

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

If 3 Creed members are gonna tour together and only play Creed songs, they might as well do it under the Creed name.
As I said earlier, the issue is that there would probably be scheduling conflicts with AB, and I think the whole thing would piss Mark off.

If they wrote new music as a new band and purposefully stayed away from the Creed sound like AB did, now, that would be an interesting project.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

"Exactly.
That's why this Tremonti project has always looked a bit selfish to me.
What about Flip and Brian, dude? :P"

Well its not really Mark's responsibility to make sure Brian and Flip have income. Doesn't Flip have some band outside of Alter Bridge and Creed? And I think Brian does real estate. They could always collab with others too.

"This would be the lesser of two evils.
Why? Because Stapp seems to have more respect for Creed's legacy.
So, if he ended up having the rights, he would try as hard to make music that sounds like the original Creed, just like he did on The Great Divide. Mark's unique talent would largely be missed, but the addition of Brian and Flip would definitely make it an improvement over The Great Divide material."

Ehhh. Not sure how I feel about this. I think ultimately it would end up sounding like Stapp's solo work. Which I love but that's not Creed. Even so, One Day Remains and The Great Divide sound so much like Creed because they were made fresh off the break up. So that Creed sound was still very fresh for them.

"We've heard Mark's Creed 2.0 version in 2009, and sorry, I'm not interested in this watered down and uninspired Alter Bridge music. This is not what Creed is supposed to sound like. I also think the band should never have become a 5-piece live, because it completely changes the dynamic of the band. Back in the day, Brian had a huge role in their sound, but since it's become a guitar-oriented band, his bass lines don't really matter anymore."

"I've said it a lot over the years, but I think Mark has such a love/hate relationship with that band, and it's been so long since he wrote a good Creed song that he probably has forgotten what this band was all about musically in the first place. When I hear him say Creed is more commercial and simplistic, I just cringe."

100% agree with every single thing you said. Especially about Creed being a four piece. It really brought out Brian's talent. Even when Brian was out, Weathered feels so much like Creed because it was the core of the band. Eric's cool but idk how I feel about him being a full time member. I love More Than This though so who knows haha

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Stapp mentioned Grip Your Soul recently? Can you elaborate on that for me. That could be a subtle hint that maybe Creed was revisiting it for V. Especially since Mark said during that time that he was reusing old Creed ideas that never got completed when he was making Creed V.

So of the 13 songs there's More Than This, Devil Inside You and that nameless ballad that we know of.

He also mentioned making a song that was a cross between Faceless Man and My Own Prison but idk if that was in reference to Devil Inside You

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Devil Inside You wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:21 pm Stapp mentioned Grip Your Soul recently? Can you elaborate on that for me. That could be a subtle hint that maybe Creed was revisiting it for V. Especially since Mark said during that time that he was reusing old Creed ideas that never got completed when he was making Creed V.

So of the 13 songs there's More Than This, Devil Inside You and that nameless ballad that we know of.

He also mentioned making a song that was a cross between Faceless Man and My Own Prison but idk if that was in reference to Devil Inside You
Yeah it was from an interview this year. He said he wished grip my soul should've made the first record but it didn't make the cut. I have this inane ability to remember what these guys say but not the sources. I'm sure if you go to the stapp thread and look back at the pages you'll find an interview. It was maybe in summer?

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Doing some YouTube research on this Bluetooth speaker I'm fancying... and this person starts playing a bit of Creed during their sound test. Can't fault it.

1:58

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

https://blabbermouth.net/news/mark-trem ... e-is-right
Asked about the possibility of a CREED reunion, Mark said: "You never know. It's just one of those things where whenever it comes up, either our camp or [CREED singer] Scott [Stapp] has something going on at the moment. So our stars have to align. In fact, right now if a promoter said, 'Hey, we wanna do a huge CREED tour,' I'd have to bypass all the stuff we're working on at the moment. So we just have to wait till the time is right."
:shrug

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

chtimixeur wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:29 pm https://blabbermouth.net/news/mark-trem ... e-is-right
Asked about the possibility of a CREED reunion, Mark said: "You never know. It's just one of those things where whenever it comes up, either our camp or [CREED singer] Scott [Stapp] has something going on at the moment. So our stars have to align. In fact, right now if a promoter said, 'Hey, we wanna do a huge CREED tour,' I'd have to bypass all the stuff we're working on at the moment. So we just have to wait till the time is right."
:shrug
Hard to believe that there's ever been an instance when Stapp has been the one holding up the Creed train. Could be wrong though. Mark talks of needing the stars to align, but surely there's no way that can happen with Alter Bridge and Tremonti chugging along.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

yeah just sounds like mark is deflecting the blame on stapp. Stapp has literally been carrying creeds legacy on his back for YEARS now. Hard to believe - almost impossible to believe - that stapp wouldn't drop what he's doing to do a creed show. Stapp only has his own solo career. Tremonti has AB, solo, and the frank sinatra thing. Instead of throwing shade, he should just be honest and say "I'm too busy" or "I don't wanna"

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ But, that's always been Mark's default answer every friken time. He always states that he's got a lot going with AB or Tremonti where he feels that the time is not yet to do Creed, and to some people, that's not enough of an answer. I think people should take the hint, since he's probably never going to outright say it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I wish he would flat out say it so i can move on with my life tbh

Devil Inside You
Isolated

nagpo wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:17 am I wish he would flat out say it so i can move on with my life tbh
If the downtime from COVID didn't lead to them finishing that Creed album nothing well. Even Limp Bizkit finished their album

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

nagpo wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:17 am I wish he would flat out say it so i can move on with my life tbh
You can move on without Mark making a blanket statement about never playing in Creed again. You'll just be pleasantly surprised if it does happen one day.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Devil Inside You wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:26 pm
If the downtime from COVID didn't lead to them finishing that Creed album nothing will. Even Limp Bizkit finished their album
I think Mark is hoping for a situation similar to what the band Journey went through around 2007/2008. Don't Stop Believing was famously used in the series finale of The Sopranos in 2007, and as a result there was a big resurgence of interest in the band. The following year they brought out an album and it was their first album to go platinum since 1996. That album made it to number 5 in the Billboard 200 chart and stayed in the 200 for 42 weeks, where as the album they released a couple of years before the Sopranos finale peaked at number 170 in the Billboard 200.

Now don't get me wrong, I can't imagine a famous HBO show featuring Higher or With Arms Wide Open anytime soon, but I think this is the kind of cultural moment Mark is looking for before he can embrace the idea of more Creed.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Got a strong feeling we will see Creed this summer. Late summer. Wait for it…..

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

austin. wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:41 pm Got a strong feeling we will see Creed this summer. Late summer. Wait for it…..
lol