Revisiting Full Circle

A place for all Creed discussion.
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: Revisiting Full Circle

Post by One Drew Remains »

No joke, I was just in Gordman's the other day. For those not in the US, it's a department store. They played Rain while I was shopping. The bridge "fall down..." and guitar solo sound really good when you are getting tons of pop music crap shoved in your ears.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Decay

Post by Decay »

One Drew Remains wrote:No joke, I was just in Gordman's the other day. For those not in the US, it's a department store. They played Rain while I was shopping. The bridge "fall down..." and guitar solo sound really good when you are getting tons of pop music crap shoved in your ears.
Well, not all of pop music is crap. I listen to every kind of music, both Serbian and 'foreign'. I just like what I like, if what I'm hearing sounds good to my ears, then dammit it's fn' cool no matter what genre it is...

Yeah, Rain is such a good song. Probably one of my favorites off of Full Circle.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

So, it's been almost 4 years since this album came out, but I've really been getting back into some of the songs. This album is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be, but I can atill agree its not their best work. The best songs from here are REALLY good, others are pretty decent, and then there are some flat out awful songs IMO. Now let's break it down..
THE AWFUL
Fear: one of the worst Creed songs ever made
Bread of Shame: not much better
Good Fight: Stapp's vocals at the end absolutely killed the song for me
THE AVERAGE
Time: not that bad, but it's kind of boring and too long for me
On My Sleeve: pretty basic song, but the chorus is kind of catchy
The Song You Sing: Catchy chorus
THE GOOD
Full Circle: Kind of country-sounding during the verses, not a fan, but the chorus is awesome
Away in Silence: Average until distortion kicks in at the start of 2nd chorus, then I really like it. Love the bridge with Stapp and Mark trading vocals
Suddenly: Very good song. Love the guitar work
THE AWESOME
Rain: Very different for Creed, but I think Scott puts on a great vocal performance here. Love the chorus and bridge
Overcome: I remember exactly where I was and what was going on when I first heard this. Nice, heavy intro, neat clean guitar in the verse, catchy chorus, and one of, if not the best, solo on the album.
A Thousand Faces: by far my favorite song on this album, and one of favorite Creed songs ever. Good vocal performance from Stapp, but Mark completely owns this song. Background vocals during the chorus are AMAZING, the bridge is good, and the ending solo is probably the best of the album.
Great song!!

...Alright, most of you probably think that I'm ridiculously bored and have too much time to write this long ass review, and you'd be right. But whatever, need to keep busy and practice my review skills before Fortress comes out :lol Thanks for reading (if anybody does)
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I really liked Full Circle when it came out but I don't think I've listened to anything from the record for quite a while now. For me... there was only ever one great song on the album and that was A Thousand Faces. Not to say that the other songs were nowhere near that as I think... Rain, Time and Suddenly are good, for sure. I dug the likes of Song You Sing, Fear and On Your Sleeve too but I think, in my opinion, the remainder of the album was pretty average really. I think there's only one song though that I used to just skip straight away and that was Bread of Shame. I'll have to listen to it again one day and see how I feel about it now :)

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Bread Of Shame seems to be a very controversial song on this board. First time I listened to it, I was surprised by the Korn-like intro. The chorus was a little let-down again. But the part when Stapp sings:

"As long as you say I'm free
Then keep these chains of me
Tell me down is up
I'll let you fill this broken cup"

I had goose bumps. The lyrics and the way he sings/shouts them out in that moment is so awesome. It was one of the moments on Full Circle, where I realized again how good as a singer and songwriter Scott Stapp can be. Another one was the chorus of Time.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Finaldecision wrote:Bread Of Shame seems to be a very controversial song on this board. First time I listened to it, I was surprised by the Korn-like intro. The chorus was a little let-down again. But the part when Stapp sings:

"As long as you say I'm free
Then keep these chains of me
Tell me down is up
I'll let you fill this broken cup"

I had goose bumps. The lyrics and the way he sings/shouts them out in that moment is so awesome. It was one of the moments on Full Circle, where I realized again how good as a singer and songwriter Scott Stapp can be. Another one was the chorus of Time.
Yeah, I agree. I don't understand how this song gets flamed but to each his own. I personally love the song, the lyrics, the entire composition. Yeah, full circle has these very rare moments where you can appreciate Stapp's talent and can be reminded of how good he really can be. I still hope he gets back to his roots when it comes to Creed, even for Tremonti, I just love his work in early Creed.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The bad part about Bread Of Shame for me is the chorus. I think the music (especially the drumming) is pretty good, and the verses are solid, but I don't like the chorus much at all.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Bread Of Shame is a beast musically, but lyrically, it's an utter failure. Yeah, the verses are okay, I guess, but the chorus... Ew.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

No worse than Fortress' chorus.

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

still haven't heard this album.
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

nagpo wrote:No worse than Fortress' chorus.
I beg to differ. Myles doesn't sound like a bear with laryngitis in the Fortress chorus.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

we were talking lyrics

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

nagpo wrote:we were talking lyrics
:yeahthat

Vocally, I do agree that Bread Of Shame is not Stapp's best or even close to best vocal performance, and yes, the bread of shame chorus is meh vocally, but lyrically its brilliant, all of it.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Only chorus and bridge have weak vocals. Verses and pre-chorus are very strong vocally, especially the part I mentioned (2. verse).

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Oh my bad. Yeah lyrically the song is pretty good, but the chorus vocals were what turned me off a lot. Should have clarified.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I beg to differ. Myles doesn't sound like a bear with laryngitis in the Fortress chorus.

That is the single most funny thing I have read on here in some time.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Decay

Post by Decay »

One Drew Remains wrote:

That is the single most funny thing I have read on here in some time.
:yeahthat
QOTY candidate.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Holding you 2 responsible for a nomination!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Well be the Merry and Pippin to your Frodo. :P
Altered:

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

*blech*

you guys are gross