New Info on Creed 2014 Possible Album

A place for all Creed discussion.
austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: New Info on Creed 2014 Possible Album

Post by austinjhnsn »

Timotheus wrote:I love that you guys think that Mark (who was/is in the band in the first place) doesn't know what the band was about, and you do.
:yeahthat
Thanks Timo!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Don't you guys remember the interview where Flip said Mark asked him about some ideas he had during the Full Circle recording sessions, and none of them could tell if it were more suited for AB or Creed ?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That's got nothing to do with his songwriting qualities. You can infer out of that interview that Creed indeed gets the leftovers from Alter Bridge, and that Mark indeed doesn't know how to write like he used to anymore (or doesn't want to), but that doesn't mean his songwriting in Alter Bridge is less good than his songwriting in early Creed.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Early Creed stuff is so easy to play. I agree that technicality does not equal being good music, but to say Alter Bridge is more straightforward is pretty funny to me. Both bands have straightforward songs, but Creed never got too experimental outside a handful of songs. I actually don't think either band is very complex though.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Andy92 wrote:Early Creed stuff is so easy to play. I agree that technicality does not equal being good music, but to say Alter Bridge is more straightforward is pretty funny to me. Both bands have straightforward songs, but Creed never got too experimental outside a handful of songs. I actually don't think either band is very complex though.

Its its easy to play, am sure it wasn't easy to compose. I get bored of playing Alter Bridge stuff sometimes, but an intro as simple as that of wrong way keeps me interested for long. A lot of my friends who thought Creed were just a christian pearl jam knock off were surprised by Tremonti's Creed guitar work once they really listened to it. The melodies and choice of notes is beautiful. Creed definitely was experimental in terms of songwriting structures, not as much as tool or any other experimental band, but they had their creativity going on full speed in MOP, Human Clay days, as ofcourse claimed by Mark back in the day.

And about Mark knowing better about his band? Well am sure he does know better,he chooses to make AB sound like its the best thing in the world, which is fair enough. He said Full Circle was the best Creed album ever put out(yeah, Mark definitely knows better). What ticks me is the way he represents Creed these days. I don't think I or any other Creed fan are sitting here to convince people of how great the band once really was and how the musicians in it probably don't realise how good the music was once. What I expect from them is that if they would like to continue Creed, let them put their heart and soul into it. If not, might as well completely bury it than tainting all of it.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Them Bones wrote:if they would like to continue Creed, let them put their heart and soul into it. If not, might as well completely bury it than tainting all of it.
Yup.
Do it right, or move on for good.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Mark seems to put forth a genuine effort. But it doesn't seem like his heart's in it any more.

Also, speaking on his guitar work, if you remove the solos, none of the guitar work for Alter Bridge/Tremonti is really all that more complex than early Creed.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

phatnonphatness wrote:Mark seems to put forth a genuine effort. But it doesn't seem like his heart's in it any more.

Also, speaking on his guitar work, if you remove the solos, none of the guitar work for Alter Bridge/Tremonti is really all that more complex than early Creed.

Yeah man, but nobody understands that on these boards. Creed was pretty good guitars wise as well. The only complications honestly are the solos these days. I find early Creed compositions more complex tbh in terms of choice of note and structure.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

Lets not forget that Stapp knows Creed's secret tuning. (Anybody remember this when he kept saying this back in '05?)

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Doesn't really seem like Creed is on Tremonti's mind at all these days. After Full Circle I think the whole thing just kind of fizzled out. Maybe I'm wrong. I doubt Stapp's voice improves, though. Kind of don't want them to continue with Creed if he can't sing well enough to do it justice. They would also need to put everything into it for it to be any good, and I doubt Mark cares that much anymore.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I wonder what happened. His voice in 2012 was pretty good. I think he's feeling pressure to sound more commercial... His voice is just not appealing anymore. Kinda feel bad for Stapp, it seems like he wants to get big again, but people have moved on. The single seems so artificial, and the lyrics are mediocre. I have little hope for "Proof of Life", as harsh as that sounds...
Thanks Timo!

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Mark's heart isn't in Creed anymore. It never was when they got back together.
Photobucket cash grab.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ryan wrote:Mark's heart isn't in Creed anymore. It never was when they got back together.
This is something I've tended to notice throughout the whole reunion. I like that I got to see the band live in 2010 for the first time, but part of me wasn't a big fan of the reunion if the guys weren't 100% into it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Ryan wrote:It never was when they got back together.
I respectfully disagree.
Saw them in 2009, and 2010, and you couldn't fake those smiles. The first few years were genuine, then who knows what happened.

nagpo
Birth of Alter Bridge

Post by nagpo »

I don't know, Mark initially only wanted to get back together for cash in the first place. Stapp was the one who wanted to do an album. Mark just wanted to do a tour so he could use the cash to support alter bridge.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

austin. wrote:
Ryan wrote:It never was when they got back together.
I respectfully disagree.
Saw them in 2009, and 2010, and you couldn't fake those smiles. The first few years were genuine, then who knows what happened.
I saw them as well. Saw them all the way from 1997 until the last time they played Southern California, every show they did here. Plus, 2 people close to Mark have told me the same thing. And those two people never met until Orlando.
Photobucket cash grab.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Part of me wonders whether it would be a good thing if Mark allowed Scott to take Creed in a different direction. I know it's tricky as Scott Stapp alone isn't Creed - Creed is also Tremonti, Phillips and Marshall. But it's clear to see that Alter Bridge is where the love is at for the guys. At least.. it's clear to see where Mark is concerned. It's hard to really be sure when it comes to Brian and Flip as I suppose you don't really hear from them... as much. It would never happen as it would be like giving away a business/brand, I guess. But surely it's safe to say that Scott is emotionally tied to Creed more than anyone. So why not let Scott form a new band under the Creed moniker? I mean, it's not as if Mark truly likes being associated with Creed that much - he's kinda spent the last ten years trying to escape that association really, which made it all the more bewildering when Creed reunited and whatnot. I don't know - I'm just thinking out loud. What do you guys think?

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

If Mark doesn't want to tour with Stapp and perform Creed songs anymore, why did he do it as recently as 2012? It's not like it was just a one and done thing. They put out a CD and toured in 2008, then got back together again and toured in 2012. And Mark's Facebook page still says Alter Bridge/Creed under his job description, and Brian's Facebook page still says Creed/Alter Bridge. I don't see why the other guys would still list Creed as a band that they're involved in on Facebook if they felt that they were done with Creed for good.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

creed009 wrote:If Mark doesn't want to tour with Stapp and perform Creed songs anymore, why did he do it as recently as 2012? It's not like it was just a one and done thing. They put out a CD and toured in 2008, then got back together again and toured in 2012. And Mark's Facebook page still says Alter Bridge/Creed under his job description, and Brian's Facebook page still says Creed/Alter Bridge. I don't see why the other guys would still list Creed as a band that they're involved in on Facebook if they felt that they were done with Creed for good.
I think it would be fair to say that money is possibly the motivating factor. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it's kinda the same as actors doing big-budget studio films for the money so that they can then do films that they find more rewarding... for less money. Of course I have to reiterate that I'm not sure whether this is the case of Brian and Flip... but it seems to be the case for Mark.

"But usually it's pretty obvious to me... the old school thrash kind of vibe, if I have a riff like that it's definitely Tremonti solo stuff. If it's more of a moody, hard rocking song it's gonna be an Alter Bridge song, and if it's more straight-forward it'll be a Creed song."

The last bit of that quote has been spoken about a fair bit... but it says it all really. I just think... if you don't love doing something, then why do it? Money is almost always the answer to that question.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

His recent interviews don't seem very enthusiastic about Creed. He always kind of says something quick about there being no plans and then talks more about AB. He's not into it anymore. You can't force someone to do something, especially in Mark and Scott's case. They don't feel comfortable around each other, or at least that's what it seems like.
Thanks Timo!