The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by Mr. Slash »

The day is nearly over in Europe, still no new single released.

rockmusic4ever
Brand New Start

Post by rockmusic4ever »

Nothing has been posted on any of Stapp’s official pages but it looks like the single will be Purpose For Pain and the music video is in the link below.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sc ... ORM=VQFRML

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I really like the musical direction compared to his previous album. Voice sounds like it’s using a good bit of autotune, but overall it’s a really solid song.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Gotta say, I think this single beats just about anything his first two solo albums put out.

I hear the autotune as well, but i'll take it to see the man happy, healthy and making some pretty solid music.

Really good single.
Thanks Andy!

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

it was taken down. wonder why they haven't released the single yet

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I found the video. I like it but it could be better.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Sounds good to me. Sounds like it could do well on rock and roll radio, which I expect was the goal.

It isn’t creed. It isn’t the single “the madness” but it’s his best “song” post creed IMO Possibly. Not above the madness but whatever.

What I’m saying is it isn’t bad.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

nagpo wrote:it was taken down. wonder why they haven't released the single yet
I think Friday is the official release date. Someone probably uploaded these and was supposed to set them to private in preparation for Friday and didn’t.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Definitely an improvement vocally but gah do I miss his Creed voice. If only he would have taken care of it...

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

I'll always consider "Relearn Love" his best single apart from Creed.

Excellent song vocally and melodically. The guitar also shined in that song.

Too bad that collaboration with The Tea Party didn't extend further.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

nagpo wrote:You don't have to feel bad about that. Taste is subjective to an extent. Enjoy what you enjoy.
Oh I don't feel bad. It's just kinda disappointing how much people wrote him off.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Well, this song is pretty bland imo.

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

I love it. Much better than Slow Suicide.

alterbridge86
Brand New Start

Post by alterbridge86 »

Awesome tune, much better than anything on Proof of Life for sure. Production also sounds better. I'm glad to see Yiannis and the band in the video, I'm hoping they were involved in the actual writing of the songs.

Definitely was exposed by mistake...based on the titles of the files (v1, v2, v2.1, v2.2) it looks like the production company was posting them probably for internal sharing/review, but they got picked up by the bing scraper before being set private. If you try to view the video on the vimeo site itself it says it's not available, but with some sleuthing you can navigate to the direct video link and it will play fine:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/322157842?autoplay=1

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's not as hilariously bad as Proof of Life, but don't get why he's trying to sound like bands that Creed influenced 15 years ago, and stopped being relevant about 9 years ago.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I think I liked the first AoA single better. The song was really commercial, and bland. But it's an alright song. Decent radio fodder. The lyrical content wasn't as good as his previous works. I like this song more then most of the PoL songs. Who I Am was better though. SLow Suicide was alright. But most of PoL was full of soft, cheesy songs. I think this record will mostly be hard rock songs considering the label.

How many tracks do you think the album will have? I hope 12. But I'm expecting 10.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Timotheus wrote:It's not as hilariously bad as Proof of Life, but don't get why he's trying to sound like bands that Creed influenced 15 years ago, and stopped being relevant about 9 years ago.
The funny thing about the song Proof of life is that it's extremely similar to Let Me Go, just not as good. I like some of the lyrics in that song though. TGD had a bunch of great tracks and a very nice sound.

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

I don't see the need to use autotune throughout the whole song. Scott has beautiful low register and roaring higher register. I understand his voice tend to crack at higher notes but that's it. They only need to do vocal correction at that part. His AoA songs has better vocal production. But in Purpose for Pain Scott vocal signature style seems drown. Nonetheless, I love the song overall. Organic progression from verse to chorus, catchy chorus, decent lyric, and decent vocal. Wish they had let Yannis did more.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Timotheus wrote:It's not as hilariously bad as Proof of Life, but don't get why he's trying to sound like bands that Creed influenced 15 years ago, and stopped being relevant about 9 years ago.
Stapp's solo records really make me think that Tremonti did all the songwriting in Creed on his own.

I'm not even criticizing the song structure, I mean, you can't really expect super complex stuff as a debut single. But I am baffled by the uncreative guitar work on this song. This literally sounds like all the other Alternative Metal bands that came after Creed. Kinda a pity, because Yannis seemed like a cool guitarist on his videos. Well, maybe he wasn't allowed to bring up his own riffs.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Eh, I'm not impressed.
This sounds like a continuation of the Slow Suicide and The Madness formula.
For me, this kind of tunes doesn't allow him to shine vocally, and I wish he released slower songs where he tells a story with his baritone voice, like in the old days.

As to the video, it looks very cheap, and the lipsycnhing is pretty bad, but who cares about that in 2019? It's not like millions of people are going to watch it anyway.