On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by nagpo »

Good to hear!

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

chtimixeur wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:00 am A couple of songs from a recent show at Sea World Orlando.

First Sea World, now the Creed cruise. Stapp clearly has a preference for performing near water and marine life these days. Don't be surprised to see more water references on his upcoming solo album.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Sounds good in the videos but the songs are pitched *way* down. We're not talking the usual half step here.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Happy 50th birthday to Scott Stapp!

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Stapp sounds good on those videos above, but man, the band... I'm sure they're plenty well talented and professional, but it''s always going to sound like Stapp playing with a local cover band who only kinda knows how to play the song.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

It's not perfect, but still WAY better than any performance by Creed from 2009 to 2012. They're at least trying to be faithful to the original material, which is always commendable.
I hope Creed steps it up next year. Bringing back his clean old tone would be a nice step in the right direction, but Mark seems stubborn with that stuff.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

solo stuff upcoming on friday

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

If that teaser is any indication, he's going for a downtuned hard rock style.
Which is not what Creed fans want to hear from him.
I'm sometimes wondering why he's doing going back to the sound of songs like What's This Life For, Torn or My Own Prison, which made him stand out back in the day.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

chtimixeur wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:45 am If that teaser is any indication, he's going for a downtuned hard rock style.
Which is not what Creed fans want to hear from him.
I'm sometimes wondering why he's doing going back to the sound of songs like What's This Life For, Torn or My Own Prison, which made him stand out back in the day.
Except for The Great Divide, he's kept his solo sound very from Creed. Proof of Life and The Space Between the Shadows are much more typical hard rock than Creed's sound. I like it that way to be honest. Besides, Creed fans just want to hear Creed. He plays plenty of that live

Devil Inside You
Isolated

New single is called Higher Power. Really interesting direction for Stapp based on the snippets! It sounds very very modern. More in line with bands like Escape the Fate, I Prevail and A Day to Remember as far as blending hard rock with those electronic elements. I'm glad he still wants to make heavy music.

Shortman45
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Shortman45 »

Just listened to it on Apple Music. Sounds alright. It’s heavy but not as good as Purpose for Pain. It might take me a few listens to appreciate it more. His voice sounds pretty good.
Last edited by Shortman45 on Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Just asked Yiannis over Facebook. He confirmed he contributed to the writing of this album

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

It's good but almost sound generic. The vocal is not centred enough. Perhaps because I'm using lousy speaker. Will give it another listen with better speaker

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I LOVE IT. Such an intense energy for Stapp and very different from what he's done in both Creed and solo. It seems like he really wants to compete with those Sirius Octane bands and its working. I've never been that into this style of hard rock but his voice and melodies keep me invested. I can't wait for his new album :) This has been a pretty weak year musically for me so this can save it before its over

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I prefer the Coldplay version..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

Apparently his son Jagger is one of the publisher. Good that they are working together

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Here are my thoughts after one listen.
It's sounding really modern.
It's a bit too fast and upbeat for my taste: for me, Stapp has always been at his best when he was telling a story in a slow pace, with his baritone voice, and this is not the case here at all.
The breakdown riff is pretty cool.
I don't know who mixed this, but he did not do a good job: Stapp's vocals are shockingly buried in the mix, and the drums are way too loud (which, as you all know, is also the case with most Elvis Baskette projects). The whole thing is not pleasing for the ears, which is surprising since the 2019 album sounded incredible.

Overall, it doesn't seem like this song is aimed at older Creed fans like us all.
But I can't blame Stapp for that: his solo career has not been succesful up until now, and I understand why he's trying to please a younger audience. I hope it works out for him!

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

first impression: it's okay. I think he's running out of lyrical content though.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

chtimixeur wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:22 am I don't know who mixed this, but he did not do a good job: Stapp's vocals are shockingly buried in the mix, and the drums are way too loud (which, as you all know, is also the case with most Elvis Baskette projects). The whole thing is not pleasing for the ears, which is surprising since the 2019 album sounded incredible.
Yeah, the mix is pretty smashed and the harshness of the cymbals is all over the chorus downing out all the rest.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@nagpo : good point. It sounds like we've already heard that kind of lyrics since 2013.
It's weird, because I remember back during the 2019 promo cycle that he wanted to move on from the gossip stuff. He wanted fans to actually focus primarily on his music, and 4 years later, he's the one singing about his hotel fall and his unfamous road trip.
Scott Stapp is reconnecting with a "Higher Power." Born during the dark and difficult isolation of quarantine, the propulsive track reflects on the singer’s own near-death experiences, acknowledges the grace by which he survived, and offers hope to others.
source: https://scottstapp.bandcamp.com/track/higher-power

I also found this photo.