The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
Micky
On The Rail

Camdaddy

Post by Micky »

Song is pretty good.

To those of you complaining that he doesn’t sing songs in the vein of Creed anymore, go see his live shows, he basically only plays Creed songs at those. Or go listen to a Creed record; just a thought.
Thanks Andy!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by Mr. Slash »

I don't care whether his songs sound like Creed or not. But I gotta say that I'm quite bored by the new song. Then on the other hand, I don't even know what I expected.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Stapp just confirmed that the cruise is a one of performance and Creed doesn't have any plans for afterwards. Considering he probably wants to tour his solo album and Mark wants to do Tremonti VI in January it might be awhile before Creed does anything beyond the cruise.

They must have been paid a TON of money for this. I never imagined Stapp would ever agree to a one off performance. Mark seemed to imply that he wouldn't just want to do one Creed show too..

https://blabbermouth.net/news/creed-doe ... cott-stapp

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Devil Inside You wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:46 pm Stapp just confirmed that the cruise is a one of performance and Creed doesn't have any plans for afterwards. Considering he probably wants to tour his solo album and Mark wants to do Tremonti VI in January it might be awhile before Creed does anything beyond the cruise.

They must have been paid a TON of money for this. I never imagined Stapp would ever agree to a one off performance. Mark seemed to imply that he wouldn't just want to do one Creed show too..

https://blabbermouth.net/news/creed-doe ... cott-stapp
If you aren’t saving your money/prepping your trip to Louisville this time next year, you’re going to miss out. The best is yet to come.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Second listen: the song is extremely similar to Survivor from the last record. I like his vocals because he's much more skilled than he used to be. He can hit higher notes and roll his vocals more. He's much more emotive and than the last record. The issue is he doesn't have the same power as he used to compared to when he was younger. Nothing you can do about it.

I'm 100% okay with it not sounding like Creed. He needs to stop playing creed entirely even at his live shows. To those who don't like it at all or maybe say it's generic, the lead single tends to be the most radio friendly and generic even from the last record it was like that. Slow suicide and purpose for pain were both similar.

----

About what he said about there being nothing planned beyond the cruise: that could mean a few things. Maybe the guys are feeling each other out before they commit to a record and real tour. Perhaps announcing a creed record before the release of your solo record would take the sails out of the wind for the new record.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Apparently the initial lyrics came from an idea Scott Stevens had that he wanted to share with Stapp. That may be why its a bit redundant if the lyrics were cowritten with Stevens. I agree about the cruise. If Mark wants a new Tremonti album out next year then it may be a conflict of interest. I guess I see where Mark has been coming from all these years about timing lol

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

To my surprise, the song was mixed by Chris Baseford, who also mixed the previous album.
Just a reminder from page 116: Joel Wanasek said this last month.
I mixed 4 songs off Scott’s upcoming album. Baseford mixed the rest.

Shortman45
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Shortman45 »

nagpo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:59 pm Second listen: the song is extremely similar to Survivor from the last record. I like his vocals because he's much more skilled than he used to be. He can hit higher notes and roll his vocals more. He's much more emotive and than the last record. The issue is he doesn't have the same power as he used to compared to when he was younger. Nothing you can do about it.

I'm 100% okay with it not sounding like Creed. He needs to stop playing creed entirely even at his live shows. To those who don't like it at all or maybe say it's generic, the lead single tends to be the most radio friendly and generic even from the last record it was like that. Slow suicide and purpose for pain were both similar.
Yeah, I agree - after a few listens it is growing more on me. Still a bit generic but it is catchy. Nice to hear his voice improving too. I do wish he included a good guitar solo like Purpose for Pain. It’ll be interesting to hear how the album sounds.

I can hear the comparison with Survivor, but I must admit I didn’t like that track on his last album. I hope there is a bit of variety on the album.

It was also a little odd in his latest interview that he doesn’t know when the album will be out, or when/where the tour will be.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

nagpo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:59 pm Second listen: the song is extremely similar to Survivor from the last record. I like his vocals because he's much more skilled than he used to be. He can hit higher notes and roll his vocals more. He's much more emotive and than the last record. The issue is he doesn't have the same power as he used to compared to when he was younger. Nothing you can do about it.

----

About what he said about there being nothing planned beyond the cruise: that could mean a few things. Maybe the guys are feeling each other out before they commit to a record and real tour. Perhaps announcing a creed record before the release of your solo record would take the sails out of the wind for the new record.
The song‘s not bad, but I also think it‘s somewhat generic. I like the guitar riff.

Stapp clearly improved technically and sings more healthy now. However, you can‘t deny the power he used to have. One of my favorite parts when it come to his vocals is the 3:40-4:00 minutes mark of Signs. Awesome… but probably also damaging for his voice.

paisleyfan
Bought The CDs

Post by paisleyfan »

Finaldecision wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:37 pm

----

The song‘s not bad, but I also think it‘s somewhat generic. I like the guitar riff.

Stapp clearly improved technically and sings more healthy now. However, you can‘t deny the power he used to have. One of my favorite parts when it come to his vocals is the 3:40-4:00 minutes mark of Signs. Awesome… but probably also damaging for his voice.
I would hold Signs up as one of my favorite Creed songs if it wasn't for the goofy SEX part. It's honestly damn heavy and catchy, plus Stapp sounds awesome. Especially that part you singled out.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Lol I love Signs. Sincerely. I see the hype vocals as kind of a baptist church type thing like Jesus was a Rockstar or Dancing with the Devil. Weathered is probably the most memed on of their albums but Stapp's voice peaked there. He goes really hard on so many of those songs

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

Haven't heard Signs in a while - since you guys were talking about it I went to go give it a listen again. First thing that hit me was Mark's guitar tone - I miss that tone - and yeah the 3:40 part is really great. I don't think I gave his vocals enough credit back in the early 2000's.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Here's a review from an Alter Bridge fan.
He finds it generic and poorly produced, which, but the song is still alright to him.

I agree with him about the drums.
They sound completely lifeless to me.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

tbh i like it better than the last alter bridge stuff

paisleyfan
Bought The CDs

Post by paisleyfan »

nagpo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:35 pm tbh i like it better than the last alter bridge stuff
That's not saying much. The last two Alter Bridge records outside of 4-5 songs weren't very good.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The last Alter Bridge album was good, as far as I'm concerned. It was safe, predictable, way too reminiscent of their past albums, but good.

This new Stapp song doesn't sound genuine to me musically. It sounds like a desperate move from an older singer to please a young audience that will never care about him, no matter how hard he tries. That's just the way it is in the music industry, and history has shown us that it never works.
It also feels like we've heard those lyrics before, and the whole thing sounds generic. It feels to me like it was written with Sirius XM Octane in mind, and I expect more originality from a guy who paved the way on the rock scene from 1997 to 2001.
That being said, that single is energetic and somewhat catchy, I can't deny that, but still, Stapp should know better. After all, he's the one that sometimes says that current rock lacks depth, and this new song is as skin deep as it gets.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

The drums were electronic on Higher Power. So if they feel mechanical its because Dango actually didn't even play on it. Scott Stevens or Marti Fredericksen(?) likely did the drums in post.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Devil Inside You wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:17 am The drums were electronic on Higher Power. So if they feel mechanical its because Dango actually didn't even play on it. Scott Stevens or Marti Fredericksen(?) likely did the drums in post.
You mean they were programmed? What does it mean they were done in post?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I heard a classic rock influence on the first Creed albums, and it baffles me that 25 years later, both Stapp and Tremonti hire producers who try and make their music as synthetic as it gets.
I mean, a rock song without an actual drummer?!!
I can somewhat tolerate that for an industrial band like Fear Factory, but even that band got some backlash for their drummer-less album from 2012, and they released a new version with an actual drummer in 2023.

I'm still curious to know how that Stapp song will chart.