The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by chtimixeur »

riemslag1 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:22 am No hostility meant towards you ; sorry if it came across that way.
Thanks for clearing that up.
That's the issue with forums and the Internet in general: we never truly know the intention behind written words.

riemslag1 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:22 amYou worship the first Creed-albums and I think these were just a musical development towards the first 4 AB-albums beiing them at their best.
I don't worship those albums at all. Human Clay's awesome, but ODR is equally good for me, and Blackbird isn't that far behind either as far as I'm concerned.
And as I've already said a lot over the years, I'm no fan of Full Circle. It's easily one of the least impressive Mark albums for me.

riemslag1 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:22 amBut I am enjoying the Tremonti-stuff so much ; for me it just would be a shame to put that aside for a new bound to fail Stapp-adventure.
I think that's where our main difference of opinions comes from.
For me, Tremonti is so-so. There are some good songs here and there, but the whole concept of thrashy riffs with pop choruses doesn't really work for me.
Whereas I can almost enjoy every AB song and every 1997-2001 Creed song, I skip a lot of Tremonti songs, and very few of them stand the test of time for me. Marching in Time has grown a lot on me ever since it was released, though, and it may already be my favourite solo tune of his.

Overall, I think Mark is at his best artistically when he has a writing partner, and that's why I'll always be more interested in new AB or Creed stuff.

Micky wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:18 am The relationship with Mark and Stapp is like one I have with an old friend of mine, Louis. Louis and I were super tight but after a while, egos on both sides got in the way and we had a very huge falling out. I'm not going into details into what they were. After a few years, we recently reconnected but he's mad at me because I didn't invite him and his wife on a camping trip with me and a bunch of my buddies. Why didn't I invite him? Because he's proven to me that he hasn't changed at all and while I don't wish ill will on him and will certainly be civil with him, I have no intention to ever really bring him back into my life the way we used to be.

I imagine this is Mark's mentality. I don't think it's that he "holds a grudge" its more along the lines of "I'll be friendly, civil, wish him well, but I don't want to be in a toxic relationship anymore." And I'm NOT saying Stapp is at fault 100% here. Nobody is perfect, Mark included. It takes two to allow relationships to fail.
You make some really good points, especially with your last sentence.
One of the issues, IMHO, is that Stapp expects too much from a reunion, whereas Mark might just want to do a short tour once in a while. I think Stapp still wants Creed to be a full-time thing, and that's why Mark won't come back. It's too stressful, and since Creed is probably is least favourite project of the three, there is no way he would ever commit to Creed the way Stapp wants.
That was the main issue in 2012, and there's a big chance it would still be a source of arguments between the two 9 years later.

Micky wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:18 am Side note: Lets not talk about people's finances here, whether it be Mark's or Brian's, it's none of our business. You wouldn't want people discussing your finances, would you?
Fair enough.

nagpo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:39 am I want to hear some new stapp music already! What has he been doing? I wish someone would interview him and ask him about when a new record is coming
He said he had been writing with some songs, but nothing's been recorded yet, so don't expect anything new until mid or late 2022.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

chtimixeur wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:40 am
Timotheus wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:20 pm Nobody works their entire life in a Gordon Ramsey Restaurant. You work there for a few years, gain some experience, and then start your own restaurant, where you have total control who works for you, which people you have to deal with on a daily basis. It will never be as successful as the Ramsay restaurant, but it's yours and it's doing fine. Plus you're not getting called a shit sandwich on a daily basis.
Good analogy. :bow
But are there enough costumers showing up at your new restaurant and is that enough to pay your employees and make some money yourself?
Sure, then you have to make a decision. But there are many different decisions you could make in such a situation. Going back to a place of discomfort isn't the only decision, and in most cases it's also not the best one.

About not being able to pay your employees. There could be multiple reasons why Garret and Wolfie left. Wolfie had his own project, Garret had personal issues. Even then, it's not that uncommon for "session" musicians to jump from project to project.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Timotheus wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:16 am Sure, then you have to make a decision. But there are many different decisions you could make in such a situation. Going back to a place of discomfort isn't the only decision, and in most cases it's also not the best one.

About not being able to pay your employees. There could be multiple reasons why Garret and Wolfie left. Wolfie had his own project, Garret had personal issues. Even then, it's not that uncommon for "session" musicians to jump from project to project.
Well, on top of the idea that Wolfgang should be in a position to try to make his own mark as a musician, he left Tremonti in 2015 to go do a Van Halen tour. That tour turned out to be the final tour ever for them, so I wouldn't blame Wolfgang for wanting to spend as much time with his dad in ways they can still do (which for the Van Halen family, it's playing live music).

As for Garrett, it sounds like burnout to me. That's a bummer though. He is a hell of a drummer and was a great fit for what Tremonti wanted to do.

I would like to think that neither guys had any issues with Mark, whatsoever, and sometimes, in life, they move to another project if it interests them.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Wolfie leaving Tremonti to do the Van Halen tour was public knowledge at the time it happened.

Garret is one that we don't know about but we dont NEED to know about it. Nobody in the music business ever says anything negative about Mark, yet you hear people speak negatively about Stapp (not so much recently, but years back). While I think some Stapp criticism is unnecessary, he doesn't always do himself any favors.

Creed as a band reminds me of my high school girlfriend. We were together for 6 years and things were great until the end. Little things started really blowing up into big things and ultimately it ended in a BAD way. However, we tried to reconcile a few years later and it worked for a few months but again, fizzled out. Sometimes relationships aren't meant to last and that's okay.

As Creed fans, you should be happy you even got Full Circle, which has some killer tunes on it (Overcome, On My Sleeve, Thousand Faces, Rain) and what I think is a solid song to end the Creed discography (The Song You Sing) which is all about making sure your words and actions connect and inspire others, which is what most Creed fans say Creeds music has done for them. So while it seems like Creed's journey as a band is ultimately over, as music fans we have to thank Creed for being them and giving us bands like Alter Bridge, Tremonti and the Myles solo band because without Creed, one could argue these bands wouldn't exist. Hell, even some of Stapp's solo stuff is pretty good (Mostly the newest album).

Just be happy and listen to good music. Life's too short to care about relationships between two musicians.
Thanks Andy!

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

What do you guys think Mark is doing to Scott or vice versa to where they can’t get into a studio apart from each other with that album mark has “written in his back pocket” that they can’t record to make a million bucks? You think Scott is like mark you suck man I don’t need you backing vocals. Or mark don’t solo on this song sorry.

This is petty shit. What are the two really doing to each other to make recording 12 songs thatll make the fans and wallet immensely happy impossible? Seriously. This sounds like some highschool BS. They’re grandpas at this point almost.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Maybe, it could be that Mark doesn't want to do anything Creed-related right now. It sucks for the Creed fans, but he has every right as a musician to do that if it wouldn't satisfy him as much as AB or Tremonti. It goes back to my question at the beginning. Outside of money or that the band is bigger, why should Mark personally invest wanting to do Creed again in terms of personal satisfaction. Not everything has to be a money-related decision. As Micky stated before, it's none of our business to talk about other people's finances.

In sports, some players actually take a discounted deal to play for a certain team, because they enjoy where that team is going and want to be part of it. They could have perhaps taken a larger money deal in a big area like LA or NYC or Boston, etc, but they probably don't like other intangibles or the media or the hassle of playing a big populated market and it's up to the players to evaluate that and make the best decision for them and their family even if it means they are leaving money off the table (which does happen).

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

austin. wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:01 pm What do you guys think Mark is doing to Scott or vice versa to where they can’t get into a studio apart from each other with that album mark has “written in his back pocket” that they can’t record to make a million bucks? You think Scott is like mark you suck man I don’t need you backing vocals. Or mark don’t solo on this song sorry.

This is petty shit. What are the two really doing to each other to make recording 12 songs thatll make the fans and wallet immensely happy impossible? Seriously. This sounds like some highschool BS. They’re grandpas at this point almost.
Man, Stapp told Tremonti that Mark “didn’t deserve Creed” because he was going to record with Alter Bridge instead of Creed V.

Maybe, just maybe it’s just “hey, Scott I love you man but I just don’t think our working relationship is healthy.”

Nothing more than that
Thanks Andy!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Micky wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:08 pmLife's too short to care about relationships between two musicians.
I doubt anyone here really cares too much about it, you know.
Talking about your favourite bands is just a hobby like many others.

Some people enjoy talking about cars.
Some people enjoy talking about video games.
Some people enjoy talking about sports.
Well, here, we talk about music, and after all these years, still I think it's fun and interesting to do so.

anguyen92 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:57 pm It goes back to my question at the beginning. Outside of money or that the band is bigger, why should Mark personally invest wanting to do Creed again in terms of personal satisfaction. Not everything has to be a money-related decision.
I don't know what kind of answer you're expecting.
Being a professional musician is a pretty basic job.
People usually do it for those reasons:
- writing a killer record and fulfilling themselves artistically
- seeing a crowd react to their songs
- travelling the world
- making money

Now, if we're talking about Creed specifically, it is a band that mattered and made a real impact in the US rock scene. People cared about it back then, and since the music industry has crashed, the rock genre has never recovered, and in retrospect, they were one of the last specimens of a dying breed. It was just a special band that is likely to still be remembered 50 years from now.

As to Mark, he could easily fulfil himself creatively with Creed if he was genuinely interested into the band again. Full Circle is a good example of what happens when you've moved on artistically. It's not a bad album per se, but it's never felt like a real Creed album to me. Something was off, both writing-wise and performance-wise.
Also, he could fix that relationship with Stapp, but that would mean going into band therapy and investing time into that relationship and into Creed. But, as the last 10 years have shown us, Mark doesn't have much time to spare...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

austin. wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:01 pm What do you guys think Mark is doing to Scott or vice versa to where they can’t get into a studio apart from each other with that album mark has “written in his back pocket” that they can’t record to make a million bucks? You think Scott is like mark you suck man I don’t need you backing vocals. Or mark don’t solo on this song sorry.

The fact you would sell your integrity for a million bucks doesn't mean somebody else should. And the fact that you're making it sound like higschool BS with your imaginary conversations, doesn't mean that's the actual case.

Remember when Stapp starting doing all those interviews in 2012? He was bad-mouthing Mark and the other guys publically, was saying it was their fault there was no new Creed record. Saying his side of the street was clean. That Mark was being dishonest. That is was Mark's fault he couldn't pay his bills and take care of his children. This was not one interview, there were a bunch of those, on national television. This caused a bunch of angry threads on this board, blaming Mark, saying he's a tyrant. I can't imagine the tweets, phone calls, conversations, annoying interview questions Mark had to endure about this subject.

This all happened during Stapp's "honest", holier than thou book-tour by the way.

Few years later Stapp admitted in that Wikipedia Fact or Fiction interview that he lied and that the real reason those sessions were put on hold, was because he was relapsing.

All of this happened publically. Can you imagine the stuff that happened behind the scenes? It's not an issue of them being a room together and saying childish things to eachother. It's an issue of the worm can that gets opened when associating yourself with Stapp, that often takes years to solve.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Also worth considering that, just maybe, Creed is bad for Stapp. It'll definitely be bad if they all go in with the attitude of "hey, easy million right?!"
For all of the hope that it brings...

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Timotheus wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:18 am

The fact you would sell your integrity for a million bucks doesn't mean somebody else should. And the fact that you're making it sound like higschool BS with your imaginary conversations, doesn't mean that's the actual case.

Mark Tremonti sold himself out a decade ago to finance alter bridge aka Creeds Full Circle. What are you even saying? It’s not what I’d do… it’s what our boy mark Tremonti has already shown he WILL do.

Edit Timmy do you not remember 20 years ago when mark said it would take world peace for Creed to ever do it again? Then alter bridge…… didn’t succeed, went broke….. hey Stapp you wanna make a million bucks? No made up conversations here….. You’re shitting on an analogy that has literally happened ten years ago mate. Most on here wanna suck marks peen when the… “writings on the wall” lol. Half marks band members he ever had are no longer in his projects, he called Stapp up a decade ago to get AB out of debt, and claims to have a Creed album in his back pocket he doesn’t have time to get to and has done barely anything in two years. Wolfgang left him. GW left him. Stapp for whatever reason they can’t record…..

Saint Tremonti

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

The above post is missing more proper grammar than a toddler’s written words.

Stapp ruined his chance at Creed ever being permanent again, period.
Thanks Andy!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

What are yóu saying? I agree he shouldn't have done the reunion the first time, whatever his motivation was. Whether it was quick cash, or to come "full circle" with his past.

Still you want him to make him the same mistake. You don't care. You also don't care about the influence of Creed on Stapp. It nearly killed him twice. 12-14 songs for yóur amusement. At what cost?

Disgusting...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Timotheus wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:48 pm What are yóu saying? I agree he shouldn't have done the reunion the first time, whatever his motivation was. Whether it was quick cash, or to come "full circle" with his past.

Still you want him to make him the same mistake. You don't care. You also don't care about the influence of Creed on Stapp. It nearly killed him twice. 12-14 songs for yóur amusement. At what cost?

Disgusting...
Don’t tell me what I want and don’t want. Your boy used Scott Stapp to get his other not producing bands out of debt and the next time they’re broke he will do it again. I don’t care as much as Tremonti didn’t care for that cash grab a decade ago. Mark Tremonti wasn’t trying to come “full circle” with Stapp lmfao
Last edited by austin. on Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Micky wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:46 pm The above post is missing more proper grammar than a toddler’s written words.

Stapp ruined his chance at Creed ever being permanent again, period.

How so? I said what I had to say and wasn’t trying to write a novel but please elaborate.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Dude wtf, you made this post TWO months ago :lol
austin. wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:10 am I’m.... so excited for a new Tremonti album. This has been my favorite band since Mark released you waste your time from his house my senior year of highschool 2012. I was like man... this is what I want in music. This is my band. Saw him that inaugural tour in October, my first time ever on the interstate driving at age 18 let alone driving 7 hours from home one way. Rocked the heck out, in front of marks mic, he gave me his pick from that set, that night, drove home, and been the biggest Tremonti fan ever since. Wear my Tremonti shirts twice a week and my fiancé rocks out with me at shows the last 6 years. We are huge fans and super excited for the next record. Long live Tremonti. This guy could produce an album every 6 months and every single one would be fire. Rock on folks
Is there an online Stapp-radicalisation trend we need to be worried about?
Last edited by Ubik on Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

austin. wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:57 pm
Timotheus wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:48 pm What are yóu saying? I agree he shouldn't have done the reunion the first time, whatever his motivation was. Whether it was quick cash, or to come "full circle" with his past.

Disgusting...
Don’t tell me what I want and don’t want. Your boy used Scott Stapp to get his other not producing bands out of debt and the next time they’re broke he will do it again. I don’t care as much as Tremonti didn’t care for that cash grab a decade ago. Mark Tremonti wasn’t trying to come “full circle” with Stapp lmfao
And you cannot wait for that to happen again, so what's the problem?

I'm not saying Tremonti is a saint. I'm saying that's it's very simplistic to act like it's just some highschool BS. It's way more complicated than that. It involves many lifes and families. It's about mental health and quite literally: life and death, in Stapp's case.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Ubik wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:08 pm Due wtf, you made this post TWO months ago :lol
austin. wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:10 am I’m.... so excited for a new Tremonti album. This has been my favorite band since Mark released you waste your time from his house my senior year of highschool 2012. I was like man... this is what I want in music. This is my band. Saw him that inaugural tour in October, my first time ever on the interstate driving at age 18 let alone driving 7 hours from home one way. Rocked the heck out, in front of marks mic, he gave me his pick from that set, that night, drove home, and been the biggest Tremonti fan ever since. Wear my Tremonti shirts twice a week and my fiancé rocks out with me at shows the last 6 years. We are huge fans and super excited for the next record. Long live Tremonti. This guy could produce an album every 6 months and every single one would be fire. Rock on folks
Is there an online Stapp-radicalisation trend we need to be worried about?

Tremonti is my favorite nobody band :shrug :shrug :shrug

Just because he’s my favorite band doesn’t mean I wish he wasn’t a WVH type headliner. I like the music a lot. Unfortunately, the masses aren’t picking up on how good the music is.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Timotheus wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 pm
austin. wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:57 pm

Disgusting...
And you cannot wait for that to happen again, so what's the problem?

I'm not saying Tremonti is a saint. I'm saying that's it's very simplistic to act like it's just some highschool BS. It's way more complicated than that. It involves many lifes and families. It's about mental health and quite literally: life and death, in Stapp's case.

I want three of my favorite band members, Bmarsh, Flip, Stapp, to be able to do this record that Mark says he has stashed. I don’t mind if it fails like the Tremonti Project. I just wanna hear it. It’s not some false hope. Mark says he has it, and will do it when there is time. And there is time to do this. I apologize my grammar isn’t perfect. I don’t think a creed V recording would jeopardize any members life…. And I’d like to hear it.

Sorry?

Edit Tremonti is the best band on the planet. Doesn’t change how I feel about the Creed deal.

You guys act like I’m making up some false narrative when here it is from the man himself, unless he is a liar.

It's just, there's no time," he admitted as he went on to discuss the strength of these demo songs.

It’s just. Just is a strong word. Mark says no time. The next sentence down says is it worth putting on the back burner what I have going on. There’s been one alter bridge record and one Tremonti record in three years and no touring. what’s going on the back burner? You guys can say blah blah blah but mark says it’s a time thing and not a Stapp thing so…. You guys are making these Mark won’t work with Stapp conspiracies up.

Read More: Mark Tremonti: 'I'm Sitting on an Entire Creed Album' | https://loudwire.com/mark-tremonti-sitt ... m=referral

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

This part in the article is critical.
"Is it good enough for me to put everything on the back burner that I've been working on for the past 14 years? No," Tremonti affirmed. Not ruling out the chances of a new record for good, he said, "Is it good enough to maybe 10 years from now or seven years from now... or some big resurgence happens or there's an anniversary where everybody's like, 'We want to see Creed' and the world demands it like they used to? I wouldn't say no."
You say you want that Creed album that's been in the backburner for a certain period of time. I also want that album that Myles (must I reinform that we always seem to forget about this guy in this kind of conversation and that if Myles is in on doing a new AB album, everyone else in AB is probably dropping what they have going for that.) put on the shelf before he wrote Year of the Tiger.

I also want a lot of other stuff in life, but I know that there are reasons (that is really valid) that's going to prevent that from happening. Sometimes, you can't always expect what you want, no matter how much you want it. Things in life doesn't always go the way you want. Deal with it and find other things to enjoy.