The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by chtimixeur »

I watched that Facebook Q&A and I can't believe how awful the Internet quality is in the USA. I mean, I know it's bad, but seeing this video lag like we're still in 2005 or so is crazy. I've also seen it in vaious talk-shows taped at home.

It was hard to understand what he was saying, and I wonder what addiction he was talking about. From what i understood, he said it was a thing since he was 13. Was he talking about smoking? I thought he had started smoking around 2008 or 2009, and that he had stopped a few years ago (hence the clearer vocals).

As to Creed's internal problems, well, it's obvious Mark developped a certain jealousy after a while. He's a nice guy overall, but one can tell he's always wanted to have the same recognition that Stapp had in the Creed days. He probably thought Tremonti would be much more succesful than it actually is, because Creed and AB were so succesful. Even though he probably makes a bit of money with it, it's still a semi-failure, if you compare it to his other two bands.

As I've said multiple times, Mark and Stapp should have done band therapy for a few months before any talks of any reunion (look how much good it did to Metallica). Sweeping it all under the rug from 2008 to 2012 was a huge mistake, and in the end, it made things worse than before. It seems to me Mark has absolutely no interest whatsoever for Stapp these days, and the way he keeps belittling Creed's music and achievements is quite disrespectful for the fans. More than anything, it's gotta hurt Stapp to see someone he considered a brother once just doesn't care about him at all anymore.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

i think he was talking about a nicotine/tobacco addiction

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

chtimixeur wrote:It was hard to understand what he was saying, and I wonder what addiction he was talking about. From what i understood, he said it was a thing since he was 13. Was he talking about smoking? I thought he had started smoking around 2008 or 2009, and that he had stopped a few years ago (hence the clearer vocals).
Yes, I think he talks about nicotine but the thing he's saying is that he's currently on a stage of stop vaping too.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Them Bones wrote:Yeah, its not just a tired voice, I sense a different vibe in his voice, a different confidence , like he is distracted in his thoughts. Stapp's interviews prior to that were always very crisp and full of confidence. You can tell things within the band aren't right. But well, the truth is that there were jealousies on all sides, the guys within the band were hating on each other based on things that did not exist. after my brief chat with the guy, I can almost imagine some guys going and whispering into Mark's ears... "look, you are the main song writer, yet your vocalist gets the attention, while you don't, look he takes all the damn credit, this that..." I remember hearing shit like Scott's monitors were taken away so he would stop putting his foot on them like he used to cuz that was Mark's signature and scott was asked to not step on certain areas of the stage.. That is pure childish. I can totally imagine Stapp turning into a paranoid shell cuz of the way people were behaving around him,apart from him being in a self destructive mode himself. Its easy to manipulate someone and fill their thoughts with shit when their state of mind is fragile. I requested this gentlemen to put out a tell all book someday, I think it'll be the clearest story we would get about the band.
That thing about the stage monitors is new for me. :facepalm
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

He announced a gig in the Netherlands for the end of this year. Not sure yet if our government will allow concerts to happen against that time. But if they do perhaps I’ll go. Not a very big fan of the man himself and/or his solowork, but since I’m sort of a freak for all AB-related stuff and we are not allowed concerts & festivals all summer and great part of the autumn, perhaps I’ll check this out. Will be in a small and causy venue at a not to great driving distance.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

George wrote:
Them Bones wrote:Yeah, its not just a tired voice, I sense a different vibe in his voice, a different confidence , like he is distracted in his thoughts. Stapp's interviews prior to that were always very crisp and full of confidence. You can tell things within the band aren't right. But well, the truth is that there were jealousies on all sides, the guys within the band were hating on each other based on things that did not exist. after my brief chat with the guy, I can almost imagine some guys going and whispering into Mark's ears... "look, you are the main song writer, yet your vocalist gets the attention, while you don't, look he takes all the damn credit, this that..." I remember hearing shit like Scott's monitors were taken away so he would stop putting his foot on them like he used to cuz that was Mark's signature and scott was asked to not step on certain areas of the stage.. That is pure childish. I can totally imagine Stapp turning into a paranoid shell cuz of the way people were behaving around him,apart from him being in a self destructive mode himself. Its easy to manipulate someone and fill their thoughts with shit when their state of mind is fragile. I requested this gentlemen to put out a tell all book someday, I think it'll be the clearest story we would get about the band.
That thing about the stage monitors is new for me. :facepalm

it could all be another set of rumours, lies and paranoia for all we know, but the crux of the story to me is that these dudes were all good and fine, the industry had an impact on them, they changed, one side handled it differently than the other, but the wedge was definitely created. You won't be comfortable when your band is being given all the wrong labels by a jealous industry trying to divide you all and when one member is being targeted cuz he is the easy one to. Some songs on weathered were clearly addressing that, but nobody took them seriously. Its like this for me, Creed was labelled a christian band based on lyrics that were apparently written by Stapp, yet according to Mark , he(mark) wrote 90% of the lyrics, and stapp was still the casualty of the hate. I think media has mis-quoted these guys way more than we would like to believe. Going through a lot of interviews and articles have made me realise the Stapp and Creed were maligned to create a wedge in the band. A lot of lies came from media and other artists,(remember the 311 fight when media took pot shots at Stapp , but the hotel management came out and said that it was 311 who started it all, no media covered it, no matter what the scene was, Creed and Stapp had to be maligned even after the breakup), till it possibly affected stapp beyond repair and he went all guns out with multiple chips on his shoulder and booze and pills. Like chitmixuer said, if these guys ever reform again, they should possibly enter a band therapy or something of those sorts to address , acknowledge and resolve their issues. Their friendship would have to heal for them to ever make that kinda music again.
Last edited by Them Bones on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

double post

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The thing is, because of AB and Tremonti, Mark doesn't have the required time to do proper band therapy. This would require months, and I don't think he cares enough about Creed anymore to invest that much time into that band.

It's just a band he was a part of a long time ago, and sadly for the fans, he's moved on.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

——-“He's aware of that, and I've heard him mention that radio ban during interviews last year.”

What ban are you talking about?

———Yeah I think the media’s drama and influence was more pervasive back then because of the news being one of your only few sources of well...news.

Like people saying Creed was just an Eddie Vedder rip off. Nowadays if you said something like that on the internet, no one would care. Or it wouldn’t last long. Kinda like how Fiona Apple gave her speech at the oscars in 1998 or whatever and she got blacklisted. Nowadays, people probably wouldn’t care so much.

Nowadays the internet has many more sources and the news and the media’s influence isn’t just all coming from one big media station group or something.

———@ThemBones Where did u hear that the 311 fight was started by 311? First I’ve heard of it.

———-How big were Creed at their peak compared to bands nowadays? Like I know they were big. Having two 6x platinum albums plus an 11x platinum album is quite a lot of albums sold for the time. Help me out here. I’m not good with statistics. Can I get some examples?

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

cheesedip1 wrote:

———@ThemBones Where did u hear that the 311 fight was started by 311? First I’ve heard of it.

so, this fact was established by the hotel staff including cctv footages from them that showed along with their claim that the provocation and the fight were clearly started by the 311 guys. we'll not know though. This was also covered in a few news articles back then(you could still find some of them floating on the world wide web somewhere). However, Stapp was only bashed and his side of the story wasn't getting any mileage cuz maybe it was fun to take pot shots at him.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

I wish marks ego wasn’t stopping a 6 month tour to make the guys richer, and fanboys like me happy. Period.

Ed what about flip and Brian? Do they not want to work with Stapp. Everyone needs to quit acting licking high school kids fighting over a girl and get out there and play some music for the fans and make some money. It’s been ten years now. Let’s do something geez.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

austin. wrote:ego
*Integrity
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I mean to me, it looks like Stapp burned bridges

But again, will we ever know the full story.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I don't think so.
It looks to me like Stapp has finally realized Mark didn't care about him as a friend (for instance, he never got a response whenever he mentioned Mark or said happy birthday, so he stopped after a few years).
Also, since Creed is now a band that is not a priority whatsoever for Mark, Stapp moved on with his career.

All of this could have been resolved in a room 10 years ago between these two, but they chose to ignore their issues and act like everything was fine and dandy. Huge mistake, and we're now seeing the consequences.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

chtimixeur wrote:
All of this could have been resolved in a room 10 years ago between these two, but they chose to ignore their issues and act like everything was fine and dandy. Huge mistake, and we're now seeing the consequences.
They simply decided to move on. Tremonti, Brian and Scott seem to be quite happy living their lives without Creed.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I'm not so sure about Brian. Stapp and him seem to still have genuine love for that band.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

We haven't had a creed record the entirety of the last decade and there are no signs to me any longer of them rejoining soon.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

austin. wrote:I wish marks ego wasn’t stopping a 6 month tour to make the guys richer, and fanboys like me happy. Period.

Ed what about flip and Brian? Do they not want to work with Stapp. Everyone needs to quit acting licking high school kids fighting over a girl and get out there and play some music for the fans and make some money. It’s been ten years now. Let’s do something geez.
I think it's an interesting point to bring this up now, but if you read the thank you notes for the last three AB albums, Mark, Flip, and Brian did not mention Stapp at all. They mentioned the AB fans, each other, management and roadies, everyone's families, for Myles' case, he mentions Slash and the Conspirators, for Mark he mentioned Erock of Tremonti and John Connolly of Sevendust, but no mentioning of Stapp at all.

To me, it looks like they do not want to do Creed if their heart is not into it and believe me, if everything in the world runs smoothly, and if they want to do what you suggest and do a 6 month tour for money and to try to make fans happy, the fans are not going to end up being happy anyway if anyone in the band is not into it and it shows in the performance. I mean I'm not as big as a fan of Slash/Myles/Conspirators nowadays, but at least Myles is into it and is working with a great band.

Sometimes, in life, relationships and dynamics aren't going to last forever and not everyone can be like Rush and be a band with the same guys and be happy about it for 40 years. Creed isn't the first band where relationships deteriorate to the point where someone doesn't want to work with a particular guy and they are not going to be the last band it happens to. It happens.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

My take is that Stapp is never mentioned anywhere in the AB camp because Mark doesn't want those two bands to be associated, because of the potential drama it could create online. He worked his ass off to create a new sound with Myles, and there is a strong possibility that some diehard fans would not like to see the words "Creed" or "Scott Stapp" mentioned in an AB booklet.
To avoid any drama, he's chosen to basically ignore the guy and belittle Creed's impact and achievements as soon as that band is mentioned during an interview.

I'm pretty sure that Brian is more a fan of Creed's music than AB's, but there is no way he can say that publicly now that Mark has a strong bais against Creed once again.
Can you imagine if Brian gave a shoutout to Stapp in a booklet and Mark didn't do so?
Drama would ensue!

As to Flip, I think he doesn't really care: he's in for the ride, and whether he's playing for AB or Creed doesn't really matter to him.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

This makes me realize how much money-oriented this '09 reunion must have been. Mark not even being able to look at Stapp and tour with him on the same bus. This would also explain the quality of the music on Full Cricle. Mark was just clearing his memory cards up off average ideas, saving anything valuable for ABIII. Stapp was the only one who cared about this band from the personal standpoint. No wonder he got offended when Mark said he was coming back to studio with AB the following year.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp