The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
fudish123
Bought The CDs

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by fudish123 »

chtimixeur wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:51 pm Frankly, I've always thought the stuff he wrote between 2005 and 2019 project was mostly mediocre. That includes Full Circle and the couple of Creed V stuff we heard.
I remember that video (from what? 10 years ago?) where he played long snippets from future songs, and none of them impressed me.
He found his groove and voice back in 2019, and I have very little interest in hearing the material from his "bad" era. But that's just me.
I love Full Circle and I think it's the best Creed album, on a technical level, and my second favorite too, my top 1 being MOP. It was a bad era cuz he wasn't in a good place, but still, he had good music even back then, it's not like it was all bad. From TGD I think Surround Me, Broken and Justify are awesome. The album has some level problems, but sounds good. Only thing that bothers me are some filler songs like Let Me Go and You Will Soar and Reach Out could have some more work into it, specially the drums, the biggest turndown for me in that album.

POL sounds good but a little overproduced in some songs like Only One and New Day Coming, but it's a better album than TOG. Drums improved a lot and I think that's Josh Freese's fault, the man is a machine and did superb works like 13th Step by A Perfect Circle. I just think that Scott should drop some cheesy stuff he always put on albums, like New Day Coming, I just hate that distorted vocal intro and I think the song sounds blasé. Break Out sounds kinda generic to me but it's an okay song. Hit Me More is a great song IMO, and even Jesus Was A Rockstar sounds great too, despite what some people might think of it due to the lyrics. Slow Suicide, Who I Am and Proof of Life are solid songs if you ask me.

Aand I'll mention AoA here, I think it was a breath of fresh air in his career, I always thought he worked better in a band, when he is burdened to do lyrics, vocal melodies and the music, he falls short and doesn't deliver a masterpiece. Too bad they'll never get back together since the brothers sued him and I dunno the outcome of that, I think it'll remain unknown to the public for long, too.

So, my point is, even if we try to label his pre 2019 music as mediocre, I don't think it sums up most of his stuff, I think it's like a 50/50 or maybe a 60/40 ratio.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I thought it was silly how back in the day people always called Creed a Pearl Jam rip off. I suppose ppl will always compare new artists to what came before.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Interesting discussion. I think his worst record was PoL. It simply was mediocre not only comparability to his other works, but by itself it's just not a good record. It is over produced, especially regarding his voice. When you listen to Crash stapp cant hit the the higher notes and somehow they tried to pitch him higher or cover up the voice crack. I'm not quite sure what happened but the record is mostly a mess and the songs are forgettable. It may have 3 songs that stand out in a good way.

His best record is a tough choice because I like the rest of his work so much. But in totality I would just say the creed era was his best. I say this because he had his best vocals and his best lyrics. After weathered, he started writing in terms of "I" and not in terms of subjects and I think ever since then he has narrowed the focus of his lyrical content and not in a good way.

But...i think his best records would be a tie between human clay and weathered. I hardly count full circle as creed. It's kind of an abomination. A Frankenstein monster. It has alter bridge music and stapps solo style lyrics i was mentioning above. They really should have never made that record.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

cheesedip1 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:24 pm I thought it was silly how back in the day people always called Creed a Pearl Jam rip off. I suppose ppl will always compare new artists to what came before.
Funny story, I decided to listen to Pearl Jam after reading this sort of stuff. Scott and Eddie sound nothing alike, they're just rasp baritones. Both with influences of Jim Morrison. And the sound, well, nothing alike either. Pearl Jam is a mix of The Who and Ramones, roughly speaking, Creed is more of a hard rock band with some ballads. Scott sounds better nowadays since he lives healthy, eats healthy, is fit and stopped smoking, alcohol and sniffing dope. While Eddie remains to this very day smoking and drinking. Which is a shame cuz he was one helluva singer if you ask me, and he still is, the problem being he can't switch his throat for a new one.
Last edited by fudish123 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

nagpo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:29 pm Interesting discussion. I think his worst record was PoL. It simply was mediocre not only comparability to his other works, but by itself it's just not a good record. It is over produced, especially regarding his voice. When you listen to Crash stapp cant hit the the higher notes and somehow they tried to pitch him higher or cover up the voice crack. I'm not quite sure what happened but the record is mostly a mess and the songs are forgettable. It may have 3 songs that stand out in a good way.

His best record is a tough choice because I like the rest of his work so much. But in totality I would just say the creed era was his best. I say this because he had his best vocals and his best lyrics. After weathered, he started writing in terms of "I" and not in terms of subjects and I think ever since then he has narrowed the focus of his lyrical content and not in a good way.

But...i think his best records would be a tie between human clay and weathered. I hardly count full circle as creed. It's kind of an abomination. A Frankenstein monster. It has alter bridge music and stapps solo style lyrics i was mentioning above. They really should have never made that record.
I think his worst record was TGD. By worst I mean last position in my rank, but I do not consider it to be a bad record after all, actually, any of his. They're just not great or masterpieces overall, except for SBTS which is great, but I'm still waiting for a masterpiece and I hope he can pull it off.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Digging all the Stapp talk!!! Its cool seeing how people interpret each album and seeing where they rank everything. I like everything he's done. I was thinking about that the other day. I enjoy most of Stapp's work even outside of his heyday. As opposed to other bands (Fuel especially) where their other projects don't hit like the golden era.

My ranking of Stapp's discograpy would be

My Own Prison
Human Clay
Weathered
The Great Divide
The Space Between the Shadows
Proof of Life
The Madness
Full Circle

but there's songs I really love off each

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

Devil Inside You wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:34 pm Digging all the Stapp talk!!! Its cool seeing how people interpret each album and seeing where they rank everything. I like everything he's done. I was thinking about that the other day. I enjoy most of Stapp's work even outside of his heyday. As opposed to other bands (Fuel especially) where their other projects don't hit like the golden era.

My ranking of Stapp's discograpy would be

My Own Prison
Human Clay
Weathered
The Great Divide
Proof of Life
The Madness
Full Circle

but there's songs I really love off each
Mine would be

My Own Prison
Full Circle
Human Clay
The Madness
Weathered
Proof of Life
The Great Divide

I like experimentation, that's why I love Full Circle. It sounds tight and it's consistent as a whole, being a more mature album. The only drawback for me are the guitars kinda high in the mix, other than that, killer sound. MOP is my fav cuz it's darker and has that indie band passion in it, I can't really describe. Not perfect technically, specially on drums which are kind of lame if you ask me but Scott has improved a lot since. Human Clay is awesome too, but it's in my third place cuz I can't stand Higher and WAWO anymore, I skip'em. Same case with Last Kiss by Pearl Jam, I'm glad it was released on a single. The Madness and TSBTS are similar to me but The Madness is better IMO by just a little bit.

Weathered is my least favorite Creed album. It just doesn't hold up as an album and some songs sound unfinished, like Freedom Fighter, others sound misplaced like Lullaby. Bullets sounds good but the drums should have been more aggressive. Hide and Stand Here With Me are catchy but nothing new or with that much substance. Then you have POL and TGD which I explained earlier what I think of them.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I dont care for the Who or the Ramones but i also havent heard much of them. Pearl Jam is okay. Stand here with me has a sweet guitar solo and Eddie's singing on Hunger Strike is great.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

fudish123 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:22 pm I love Full Circle and I think it's the best Creed album, on a technical level
It's always sounded to me like a bunch of tracks that were not good enough for Alter Bridge.
It sounds like Mark purposefully dumbed his music down on that record, because he had forgotten how to write a proper Creed song in 2009. He's often said Creed had a more commercial sound, which I completely disagree with.
Overall, the album's poorly produced, and Stapp's voice is pretty much shot.

fudish123 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:22 pm From TGD I think Surround Me, Broken and Justify are awesome. The album has some level problems, but sounds good.
I remember someone on this forum saying that the vocals and music didn't fit together and that something was off in the mix. It was later confirmed that Stapp didn't actually record proper vocals for this album and they used his demos over the new studio instrumentals.
I can't unhear it every time I isten to the album.

fudish123 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:22 pmAnd I'll mention AoA here, I think it was a breath of fresh air in his career, I always thought he worked better in a band, when he is burdened to do lyrics, vocal melodies and the music, he falls short and doesn't deliver a masterpiece. Too bad they'll never get back together since the brothers sued him and I dunno the outcome of that, I think it'll remain unknown to the public for long, too.
I mostly agree about the freshness of that album, but it hasn't aged well IMHO.
As for the outcome of the case, I'm not too optimistic, and I just hope Stapp won't lose his Creed catalogue rights in the process.

nagpo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:29 pm After weathered, he started writing in terms of "I" and not in terms of subjects and I think ever since then he has narrowed the focus of his lyrical content and not in a good way.
Good point.

Here's a full concert from this week:

Setlist:
00:00 World I used to know
03:35 Bullets
07:15 Torn
15:10 What If
22:28 Weathered
30:45 Overcome
35:45 My Own Prison
42:30 Survivor
47:28 One
53:43 Arms Wide Open
58:40 Higher
1:06:25 One Last Breath
1:11:38 My Sacrifice

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Hey, that's cool thar Full Circle and The Madness are so high up for you. Especially Full Circle, not too many fans place that one as high as the other three.

Its a good album, I'm much more open to it now. It has a very distinct sound in Creed's discography, both because of it being outright heavier and cause of Stapp's voice. I actually think Stapp's deeper voice compliments how metal the record gets.

Overcome, A Thousand Faces, Rain, Silent Teacher, the title track and Fear are some of my very favorite Creed songs. Overcome especially is in my top 10

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

it's kind of sad that the setlist for that concert begins with "world I used to know" and it then followed by mostly creed songs. Could stapp be more on the nose?

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

chtimixeur wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:47 am

Here's a full concert from this week:

Setlist:
00:00 World I used to know
03:35 Bullets
07:15 Torn
15:10 What If
22:28 Weathered
30:45 Overcome
35:45 My Own Prison
42:30 Survivor
47:28 One
53:43 Arms Wide Open
58:40 Higher
1:06:25 One Last Breath
1:11:38 My Sacrifice
I still wish he played more solo songs or Full Circle Songs. Who I Am is an awesome song. A Thousand Faces has a special place in my heart and so does Time. But can't expect much of a 13 songs setlist, he has catalog to play at least 20 songs.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

Devil Inside You wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:03 am Hey, that's cool thar Full Circle and The Madness are so high up for you. Especially Full Circle, not too many fans place that one as high as the other three.

Its a good album, I'm much more open to it now. It has a very distinct sound in Creed's discography, both because of it being outright heavier and cause of Stapp's voice. I actually think Stapp's deeper voice compliments how metal the record gets.

Overcome, A Thousand Faces, Rain, Silent Teacher, the title track and Fear are some of my very favorite Creed songs. Overcome especially is in my top 10
I like change and I liked Creed sounding heavier and with an album that sounds whole, unlike Weathered. Scott sounded good in the album, but in tour that stuff happened to his voice and took nearly 5 years to recover its shape, but he never again sang with that much vocal distortion he used to up untill 2008. Silent Teacher is my least fav song on the album and deep down I'm somewhat glad it was an extra. Full Circle was my first cd, I got it in 2010. I was also lucky enough to get a MOP with Bound And Tied as the last track.

My favs FC songs are A Thousand Faces, Time and Suddenly, but I like all the others the same, too, it's an album which I don't skip a single song. I wonder if Creed fanbase would accept e Pearl Jam like change in the sound. Since No Code, every album has been very different from each other.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

For the next album, it would be cool if Stapp and Yannis wrote it together as a team.
No external writers for once.
The Space Between the Shadows was good, but it lacked cohesion overall, and you could tell Stapp had worked with lots of different writers.

I'd rather have a cohesive album with a couple of duds than another one of those articially assembled albums.
I think Stapp really needs a full-on writing partner at this stage of this career, and that might well be Yannis.
Plus, I'm really curious to hear what he can do as a songwriter. We all know he can play incredibly well, but can he write good riffs and memorable solos that don't sound like a shred fest ?

Fingers crossed!

Devil Inside You
Isolated

chtimixeur wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:12 am For the next album, it would be cool if Stapp and Yannis wrote it together as a team.
No external writers for once.
The Space Between the Shadows was good, but it lacked cohesion overall, and you could tell Stapp had worked with lots of different writers.

I'd rather have a cohesive album with a couple of duds than another one of those articially assembled albums.
I think Stapp really needs a full-on writing partner at this stage of this career, and that might well be Yannis.
Plus, I'm really curious to hear what he can do as a songwriter. We all know he can play incredibly well, but can he write good riffs and memorable solos that don't sound like a shred fest ?

Fingers crossed!

You think so? I thought it actually did feel cohesive. It flows well from World I Used to Know to Last Hallelujah but thats just me. The Madness feels much more assembled "on shuffle" as far as tracklist. He also worked with Scott Stevens, Marti Fredericksen, and Zac Maloy for the whole record so I always saw them acting as his band as opposed to Proof of Life. That album had 16 songwriters.

I'm almost positive Marti Fredericksen is producing this record again and Stapp posted a pic of him writing with Scott Stevens a couple days ago. So the songwriters will be here for album #4 again but he did mention writing with Yiannis a lot in the beginning of the year. So maybe this is where he'll finally let him cut loose.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Wake Up Call and Gone Too Soon sound nothing like the other songs.
I liked the album, but it felt more like a collection of songs than an actual body of work.

If Stapp thinks that's still the way to go after all his albums have flopped, good for him. It's his solo career after all.
But it's never too late to realize you're in the wrong and start from scratch.
I mean, which songs from 2005 to 2019 have become live staples in his show? None!

IMHO, he's at his best when he's collaborating with one guy. It was Mark Tremonti once, and it could be someone else now.
Working with external songwriters who basically work with any rock or pop act in Nashville is not the way to go, because you're gonna end up with generic songs that could have been sung by anyone else.

That's why I think he needs to write with only one guy for a whole project. Build a mutual trust. Write together and share the songwriting credits. I think that's the only way he'll get unique material that really suits him.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Wake Up Call and Gone Too Soon (and Mary's Crying/Face of the Sun) are definite outliers but they don't really take anything for me.

Honestly, I don't mind the songwriter approach but moreso the setlist choice. Dude, just can't seem to let go of Creed. Which is weird cause he used to play a lot more off his solo work. With the exception of What Would Love Do, every song on Proof of Life was played live. He even used to play unreleased songs and do Doors covers back in the day.

But I completely agree with what you said aboit creative chemistry. Stapp works best with a partner. Yiannis knows Mark's Creed work really well and I think he can make really good music with Stapp. Let's get lucky

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Should be 7 Creed songs and 8 solo songs

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

Does anyone here have the original files of Somber and Criminal from Scott's Wordpress? If so, could you tell me their bitrate? The youtube version probably has high compression and it sounds kinda lame

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

fudish123 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:53 am Does anyone here have the original files of Somber and Criminal from Scott's Wordpress? If so, could you tell me their bitrate? The youtube version probably has high compression and it sounds kinda lame
320 kps