The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
Devil Inside You
Isolated

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by Devil Inside You »

What you just posted is easily the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my time here. So, because Stapp isn't mentioned in the same list as a bunch of other pop and rock bands, he has no cultural impact? You are aware Tremonti, Myles Kennedy and Alter Bridge weren't there either right? Go to the main Alter Bridge forum and make a post saying "Alter Bridge hasn't made any impact on pop culture in the past 20 years" citing those links and watch as you rightfully get laughed out of there. Puddle of Mudd made the list! So did Bon Jovi! As did Nickelback. Nice to see you think those guys are more important to music than Mark, Stapp and Myles!

Your reference to that sex tape makes no sense too. How would you like to be judged for the most humiliating moment of your life? I think your hate boner for JWAR is making you irrational.

If you think Stapp is an awful frontman, and you have nothing but contempt for him then what are you doing here? This subforum is supposed to be a community for his fans.
Last edited by Devil Inside You on Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Nagpo is completely right. The forum is literally titled "The Official Scott Stapp Thread" because its about SCOTT STAPP which, lo and behold, tends to include his solo material.

You like Creed but don't like or follow Stapp's solo work. What a revolutionary and unpopular opinion. Really glad you shared it, its certainly broken down barriers and opened up conversations never had before.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

This is getting ridiculous. I've seen more diplomacy regarding Scott Stapp and Creed in Pearl Jam groups. I'm not even joking.

I hate Motley Crue, I think every member of that band is a disgusting piece of shit. The rejuvenated interest in them sparked by The Dirt, Machine Gun Kelly and Post Malone genuinely makes me sick. So you know what I do? I don't expose myself to Motley Crue. With all the negativity going on, why do you feel the need to add to it?

Stapp's in a good place, Mark's making a covers album to benefit families affected by down syndrome, and Alter Bridge is currently making their 7th album. How do you people find the shittiest things to whine about amidst so much goodness? Find a better way to spend your time or grow up. Scott Stapp, Mark Tremonti and everyone else are musicians. Not your best friends. Its like you guys take everything personally when they do something you don't like or agree with when you literally don't even know them on a personal level.

What's funny is its just as bad on the other side. I joined a Scott Stapp/Creed group on Facebook recently and noticed no one talked about Mark Tremonti Sings Frank Sinatra, so I made a post about it, and a bunch of pissed off Stapp fans started blowing up my post. Saying "Mark never talks about Stapp" or "this has nothing to do with the group".

How is it that hard for you guys to just like both? Or if you don't then just take it or leave it? Its like scratching an itch for some of you to shit on Stapp and his fans.

A famous song once said "Why hold down one, to raise another?". Maybe you all should listen to that.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I think all those bands have more cultural relevance than Alter Bridge, yes. I'll never claim Myles, who is my personal favorite artist, to be a cultural icon of the 2000's, because that's simply not true. Creed is not being remembered, that's what I was pointing out with those lists. How is Scott Stapp representative of the 2000's then?

This is an Alter Bridge forum, that's why I'm here. I read all topics that appear on the active feed and respond to topics that interest me.
Ironically, a lot of people who disagree with me on Scott Stapp/Creed, agree with me when I voice a negative opinion on Alter Bridge or Tremonti. All good, no hard feelings. It's only an opinion.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Devil Inside You, I worry about your blood pressure, mate. Expecting the internet to be kumbaya is foolish.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Dan Dando wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:00 pm Devil Inside You, I worry about your blood pressure, mate. Expecting the internet to be kumbaya is foolish.
I don't expect them to be kumbaya, however there's a lot of "Why are you so pissy?" around the internet.

At 0:44 for reference

As for the Stapp talk, I wish him luck and happiness and success and that's it. If Creed returns, I just will not follow it like I really don't really follow much of Myles' partnership with Slash nowadays. If Creed play at the Amphitheater in Irvine, CA, at some point, I don't mind checking around for a cheap ticket and go to the show. I just hope I don't get any questions if I wear my usual AB t-shirt that I wore in most concerts nowadays.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Timotheus wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:58 am
nagpo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:55 pmhe's that much of a cultural icon of the 2000's
https://top40weekly.com/top-100-artists-of-the-00s/
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 0s-153375/
https://www.last.fm/tag/00s/artists
https://chart2000.com/artists.htm
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Six_o_th ... the_2000s/
https://www.thetoptens.com/music-artists-2000s/

The only cultural relevancy that Stapp has at the moment are those "Errms werd Erpen" memes that people were posting half a decade ago.
People still sing creed songs on national television shows - I think I heard one on some Mask show a couple weeks ago. People constantly imitate his voice. dave grohl said a few years ago he wanted to tour with creed. Stapp was going to headline the barstool sports show JUST this last new year.

But take it all away. there is one thing you cannot deny...

50 million records + sold baby. 20+ year career. ODR wen't gold while TGD went platinum. You don't do that unless you are a cultural icon. If what stapp has accomplished is considered mediocrity, I'd hate to see what failure looks like.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Dan Dando wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:00 pm Devil Inside You, I worry about your blood pressure, mate. Expecting the internet to be kumbaya is foolish.
That's why I try to be conservative with my use of caps lock.

All joking aside, I don't expect the internet to be kumbaya. I know better, but this is a pretty established community. You'd think we'd be a little more used to each other by now. Or at least more graceful with our disagreements

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Timotheus wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:12 pm I think all those bands have more cultural relevance than Alter Bridge, yes. I'll never claim Myles, who is my personal favorite artist, to be a cultural icon of the 2000's, because that's simply not true. Creed is not being remembered, that's what I was pointing out with those lists. How is Scott Stapp representative of the 2000's then?

This is an Alter Bridge forum, that's why I'm here. I read all topics that appear on the active feed and respond to topics that interest me.
Ironically, a lot of people who disagree with me on Scott Stapp/Creed, agree with me when I voice a negative opinion on Alter Bridge or Tremonti. All good, no hard feelings. It's only an opinion.

Sorry for coming off as hostile. I enjoy mostly everyone's input and really appreciate this community but many times it seems like people are just deliberately trying to start arguments for nothing else but the sake of doing so.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Devil Inside You wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:03 pm
Timotheus wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:12 pm I think all those bands have more cultural relevance than Alter Bridge, yes. I'll never claim Myles, who is my personal favorite artist, to be a cultural icon of the 2000's, because that's simply not true. Creed is not being remembered, that's what I was pointing out with those lists. How is Scott Stapp representative of the 2000's then?

Sorry for coming off as hostile. I enjoy mostly everyone's input and really appreciate this community but many times it seems like people are just deliberately trying to start arguments for nothing else but the sake of doing so.
this is nothing, things used to get EXTREMELY hostile here back in the day

sorry to say that i played a part in that

15 years ago, hard to believe

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

nagpo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:50 pmODR wen't gold while TGD went platinum. You don't do that unless you are a cultural icon. If what stapp has accomplished is considered mediocrity, I'd hate to see what failure looks like.
Come on, now.
Everybody here knows the Great Divide was a semi-flop.
Back then, lots of record companies bought back huge amounts of unsold copies, in order to get that gold or platinum certification.
I'm ready to bet this is exactly how ego-tripping Stapp got that double platinum certification. None of those songs made an impact on the radio, and there is no way he sold 2 million copies of that album.
After all those years, he should stop pretending he did.

As much as I enjoy Stapp's solo career, nobody in his right mind can it a success.
He WAS a cultural icon from 1999 to 2002, but then, 95% of the fans either moved on or turned against him.
These days, he's just become some kind of has-been who manages to live off his former glory. There is nothing wrong with that, and it happens to almost every band out there.
He's still going out on tour and giving people a great rock show. I respect that a lot, but I won't be foolish enough to claim that he's still relevant.

On a side note, I have to say I find these Creed/Alter Bridge wars absolutely ridiculous.
I know I have a bad reputation around here, and that people think I'm often being too harsh or negative. I just give my honest opinion, and I happen to be one of those rare people who genuinely likes Creed, Alter Bridge, The Mayfield Four, solo Myles, the Conspirators, solo Stapp, Art of Anarchy, Tremonti... and Frank Sinatra on top of that!
Sure, I think some of those projects are more interesting than others, but overall, I don't think one is actually bad.

After all these years, why can't die-hard Alter Bridge and Creed fans finally get along? :cheers

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

nagpo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:50 pm
Timotheus wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:58 am
nagpo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:55 pmhe's that much of a cultural icon of the 2000's
https://top40weekly.com/top-100-artists-of-the-00s/
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 0s-153375/
https://www.last.fm/tag/00s/artists
https://chart2000.com/artists.htm
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Six_o_th ... the_2000s/
https://www.thetoptens.com/music-artists-2000s/

The only cultural relevancy that Stapp has at the moment are those "Errms werd Erpen" memes that people were posting half a decade ago.
People still sing creed songs on national television shows - I think I heard one on some Mask show a couple weeks ago. People constantly imitate his voice. dave grohl said a few years ago he wanted to tour with creed. Stapp was going to headline the barstool sports show JUST this last new year.

But take it all away. there is one thing you cannot deny...

50 million records + sold baby. 20+ year career. ODR wen't gold while TGD went platinum. You don't do that unless you are a cultural icon. If what stapp has accomplished is considered mediocrity, I'd hate to see what failure looks like.
I can't deny those numbers. They were an extremely successful band for a short period and have written some extremely popular songs. Most of those songs I genuinely like or even love, and I do think those songs are cultural heritage.

But take a song like Bro Hymn by Pennywise. Go to a football stadium and everybody will be able to sing along with the melody. But I bet 95% of the crowd doesn't even know the band and I'd be surprised if more than 0.5% knows the name of the singer of the band.

Of course Stapp is more recognizable, at least I think, but I think aside from this really short period they were successful, Creed and Stapp are not as big as Creed fans seem to think they are. Cultural icon of the 00's is a stretch for me. Of the post-grunge movement? Sure..
Devil Inside You wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:03 pm Sorry for coming off as hostile. I enjoy mostly everyone's input and really appreciate this community but many times it seems like people are just deliberately trying to start arguments for nothing else but the sake of doing so.
No worries. I do deliberately come on here to discuss everything related to Alter Bridge and co, but it's never my intention to be only negative, so apologies if it comes across like that.

I do like to make fun of Stapp, sorry :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:32 am
nagpo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:50 pmODR wen't gold while TGD went platinum. You don't do that unless you are a cultural icon. If what stapp has accomplished is considered mediocrity, I'd hate to see what failure looks like.
Come on, now.
Everybody here knows the Great Divide was a semi-flop.
Back then, lots of record companies bought back huge amounts of unsold copies, in order to get that gold or platinum certification.
I'm ready to bet this is exactly how ego-tripping Stapp got that double platinum certification. None of those songs made an impact on the radio, and there is no way he sold 2 million copies of that album.
After all those years, he should stop pretending he did.

I've heard haters say this about TGD but they never provide evidence. ODR and TGD were on the same label, Wind up. If Wind-up did that with stapp, why not with AB? Perhaps it's simply because stapp, as the frontman and most prolific member of the band, was simply more famous and so was his name and that's why the record sold so well. The music helping with that, a lot of it being about the break up of the biggest rock band of the time. People would naturally be curious about that.
I have heard AB claim they wanted to leave Wind up because they didn't get good support from the label and such. But they never claimed the support they wanted was fake sales. So where do the fake sales claims come from? This seems more like speculation from stapp haters imo. Perhaps the reason why ODR didn't sell was because nobody knew who they were. they thought "it was creed with a new singer", so naturally the creed haters aren't going to care and the people that like creed are mostly with stapp (that's how it's always been). That's why it was called the great divide in the first place, really. The schism between the fanbase never healed and neither did it between the band members.

Mark has spent a career developing a fanbase that hates or at least dislikes the very thing that made him famous in the first place. The certified gold AB record would never have happened if just enough creed fans didn't give it a shot. What a strange thing.

And honestly, stapp doesn't flaunt his numbers that much

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Why?
It seems obvious to me. ODR wasn't a huge success in 2004, and Wind-up quickly realized that. Their Creed cash cow was gone, and Alter Bridge was never gonna sell the same amount of CD's.
Then, they stopped its promotion, and did everything they could to make a Creed reunion happen.
One of those tools was to give the false impression that Stapp was still relevant and a big name in the industry. Hence the fake Great Divide certifications.
"See, Mark? Fans still deeply care about Scott Stapp's music, so why don't you come back to Creed, and you'll be back on top of the rock charts!" ;)
nagpo wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:39 am And honestly, stapp doesn't flaunt his numbers that much
Remember when he used to buy fake followers on social media? :rolleyes

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

nagpo wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:39 amMark has spent a career developing a fanbase that hates or at least dislikes the very thing that made him famous in the first place.
this is at once true, inevitable, and kind of an exaggeration. i've been with mark's music for 22 years. we are all very complicated human beings whether we know it or not. just imagine the variety of overwhelming feelings that came with being in such popular, visible, loathed band. and then walking away. nay, running away. for reasons conscious and unconscious.

i think mark is finally okay with himself and his legacy. it will take his fanbase a little time to catch up.

and now i'll stop myself from getting too jungian on y'all. :lol

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Nah no worries. I've talked to you before and I always appreciate your input. I can be really dramatic. I always forget you can't hear people's tone of voice online and tend to interpret things much worse than they are.

I'm happy to hear things are better than they were before. I think because this place has more of a community so things tend to sound more personal even when they really aren't.

Saul Goodman

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Well, it looks like he's gonna write with various musicians once again.
For those who don't remember, that is Kevin Thrasher Gruft who composed Purpose for Pain, as well as some parts of Light Up the Sky.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Stapp is liking some tweets in that thread that are asking if yiannis is involved in the writing process

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I don't really follow Yannis on Youtube, and I wonder if he can write good riffs.
The guy can undeniably shred for minutes like a madman:

But writing riffs is a totally different skill. I hope he'll surprise us in a good way on the next album (or EP)?