The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

My apologies, I can't read between the lines, so what's the answer to my question? What's a convincing reason nowadays for Mark, as a person, to personally invest in Creed that does not have to do with money or the fact that it is the bigger band? Is it because of nostalgia? Don't think that's going to cut the mustard for him.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The crowd's reaction.
Playing in front of a crowd who knows every word of your hit songs has got to be one of the main reasons professional musicians go out on tour.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Might as well go to South America with Alter Bridge then. Big reaction, no Stapp. Win, win.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Timotheus wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:11 pm Might as well go to South America with Alter Bridge then. Big reaction, no Stapp. Win, win.
why would i go to a alter bridge show? to listen to miles nasally speak his vocals and for the band to sloppily play their songs?

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

This applies to everybody, not only Mark : if you like what you are doiing now, why would you return to something that failed twice and at the same time jeopardize the momentum you created for what you like to do now ? Why ? Would you ? Yes ? Liar !

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Creed had an insane momentum from 1997 to 2002.
Tremonti, on the other hand, has been stagnating for years, if we're only talking about popularity. Unlike Alter Bridge, it still hasn't gone bigger and bigger with each new album cycle. Who knows, that may happen that year...

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

You still don’t get it do you ?
If you are (very) happy with what you are currently doiing………………………

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The argument of “Mark should do this because it makes me personally happy” isn’t really a good argument for why Mark should enjoy doing it lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Timotheus wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:11 pm Might as well go to South America with Alter Bridge then. Big reaction, no Stapp. Win, win.

Alter bridge couldn’t/will never hold a candle to Stapp in South America.

Or any country/continent besides Europe for that matter…..

Anyway. Weathered and Torn sound great.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

anguyen92 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:41 am My apologies, I can't read between the lines, so what's the answer to my question? What's a convincing reason nowadays for Mark, as a person, to personally invest in Creed that does not have to do with money or the fact that it is the bigger band? Is it because of nostalgia? Don't think that's going to cut the mustard for him.

Bigger band, more money…… why be in a lesser band? Why’d GW and Wolfgang leave marks band? Because it wasn’t fuckin going anywhere. As much as I love it. Tremonti will never be anything more than low tier opener. Alter bridge will never sell out arenas in marks home country of USA…..

Creed is the supermodel winning awards while tremonti and AB are the cute new girlfriend who still won’t cut it even with all the fancy gear and makeup.

Why not go back to creed…..? Because marks not the boss of the biggest of the 3 bands he’s involved in. Marks not the frontman people are raving for. He’s tried twice to make two bands better than Creed and statistically can’t do it.

Edit what about Brian and flip? Stapp? Three folks I’m sure would love to add to their income by doing a creed tour or whatever, can’t, because mark…. Has a creed album in his back pocket and doesn’t wanna do it? Alrighty

No one really retires from Gordon Ramsey’s restaurants to go back to working at McDonald’s. Sorry. No it’s not all about the money. But no one really does that unless there’s ALOT more to the story.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

I should make "Andy is right as always" part of my sig.

Post by anguyen92 »

Andy92 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 pm The argument of “Mark should do this because it makes me personally happy” isn’t really a good argument for why Mark should enjoy doing it lol
Andy is right as always.
I guess let's flip the page to another guy. Let's say replace the name Mark Tremonti with a guy name, I don't know, Myles Kennedy (Remember that guy? People seems to forget about him in this kind of discussion). Myles in three years in his on and off period of his solo career has played in similar venues that the Tremonti solo band has done. I highly doubt that he can ever play in a larger theater in the states the size that he has played in with either AB or Slash as a headlining act.

I guess with people's logic he should go ahead and give that up (despite that he is clearly excited for it and stretching his horizons out on what he can do as a musician) and stick with the acts that he is most known for since he would play in front of bigger crowds, etc. I guess that's a fair comparison, no?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I think there are three chances for a Creed reunion. 1 - Mark falls out with Myles. Since Myles is the most laid back person on the planet and the platonic ideal of a good band buddy, I think this one unlikely. 2 - Covid continues to prevent tours of europe for the foreseeable and Mark misses the itch of playing to big crowds, which AB still can't really command in the US. 3 - Moneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.

The basic fact is that Mark fucking hates people that screw him over, and Stapp's done it twice.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

austin. wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:25 pm Creed is the supermodel winning awards while tremonti and AB are the cute new girlfriend who still won’t cut it even with all the fancy gear and makeup.
Creed is the dysfunctional relationship you used to be in. It was violent, ugly, and did not bring out the best in everybody involved. You both have children and you have a lot of history. And sure, because if that's how you judge people, let's say your ex is a super model.

Alter Bridge (or Tremonti) is a new relationship. It's a simple, respectful relationship. You don't have big goals like you used to. You both already have children from a different relationship. It's nice, there's good communication, it works. No fighting, no lawsuits. But no super model I guess.
No one really retires from Gordon Ramsey’s restaurants to go back to working at McDonald’s. Sorry. No it’s not all about the money. But no one really does that unless there’s ALOT more to the story.
Nobody works their entire life in a Gordon Ramsey Restaurant. You work there for a few years, gain some experience, and then start your own restaurant, where you have total control who works for you, which people you have to deal with on a daily basis. It will never be as successful as the Ramsay restaurant, but it's yours and it's doing fine. Plus you're not getting called a shit sandwich on a daily basis.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I reckon there's an alternate universe where Scott has Myles' affable nature and Creed are on album number 10...

:rockon

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

riemslag1 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:32 pm You still don’t get it do you ?
If you are (very) happy with what you are currently doiing………………………
Does being happy pay the bills?
Don't forget playing in a band is Mark's job.
Please explain to me how he is going to make a buck on the forecoming Daughtry and Sevendust tour. 9 years into his solo career, he's third on the bill of an average tour. From all the interviews from band members I've heard over the years, I can tell you that spot doesn't pay much.

austin. wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:25 pmwhy be in a lesser band? Why’d GW and Wolfgang leave marks band? Because it wasn’t fuckin going anywhere. As much as I love it. Tremonti will never be anything more than low tier opener.
Good points.
To keep good musicians, there needs to be a decent and regular paycheck at the end of a tour for each and one of them, or else they'll bail on you in the end.

Also, Mark is rich, so he can afford to play in a semi-succesful band just for fun. But what about his 3 Tremonti bandmates? Do you guys think they're living the high life?
Also, in case some have forgotten, Brian Marshall works in real estate when AB is not touring, and AB is a succesful band as far as I'm concerned.
If you ask him, I'm sure he'd prefer switching constantly between AB and Creed tours.

Andy92 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 pm The argument of “Mark should do this because it makes me personally happy” isn’t really a good argument for why Mark should enjoy doing it lol
Who said that?
I've seen some good points.

Ubik wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:08 pm The basic fact is that Mark fucking hates people that screw him over, and Stapp's done it twice.
Did Stapp really screw Mark over the second time?
Stapp told him how he felt with some harsh words, for sure, but it was mostly because Mark refused to commit to a proper Creed tour and bailed on the 5th Creed album to record All I Was instead.
Let's put yourself in Stapp's shoes just for a second: how would you have reacted?
Creed was gaining momentum again back in 2011 and 2012, and it was all taken away from him once again.
Can't the both of them talk it out like adults and give each other their honest opinion on the current and future state of their band? In a way, I think it's healthy that Stapp called Mark out, and I prefer that raw honesty to the whole fake smiles vibe from 2009.

Timotheus wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:20 pm Nobody works their entire life in a Gordon Ramsey Restaurant. You work there for a few years, gain some experience, and then start your own restaurant, where you have total control who works for you, which people you have to deal with on a daily basis. It will never be as successful as the Ramsay restaurant, but it's yours and it's doing fine. Plus you're not getting called a shit sandwich on a daily basis.
Good analogy. :bow
But are there enough costumers showing up at your new restaurant and is that enough to pay your employees and make some money yourself?

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Never realized you’re Mark’s accountant.
Let’s face it : Creed will probably not happen, at least not anytime soon. Personally I’m fine with that, but I am a great fan of his solo-band of course.
So keep on nagging for Creed as a small child on the supermarket floor ?
I also enjoyed those Creed-albums, but I enjoy the musical development after Creed so much much much more. And apparently so does the musician himself, and opposite to his accountant over here he and his band seem to be able to make it just fine, otherwise album number 5 would never have been reached.
Leave the man at peace and let him do what he prefers apparently over repeated disappointments in the past.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Why so much hostility?
Aren't we allowed to have conversations about his career?
Isn't that what fan forums are for?
I'm leaving the man at peace, you know. I have no ill will towards him, and wish him the best. I just think he's making bad choices again and again (e.g. working with Elvis), and that he could use his time more wisely, both artistically and financially.
When I look back at the last 10 years, he's released lots of decent and good stuff, but nothing's been really amazing aside from Fortress, and even that album couldn't touch the first 3 Creed records.

If we're talking about Mark and Stapp's relationship, I think a band therapy would have immensely benefitted the both of them as well as the band itself. They could have said how they truly feel about each other and what hurt them back in the day, and it would have been good thing. From the outside, it looks like Mark still holds a grudge against Stapp, and that he'll find any excuse to get outta dodge. One bad conversation, and he's out for 10 years...
There are tensions in a lot of succesful bands, and most of the time, it leads to good things artistically.
Whether we like it or not, Mark and Stapp have a unique bond when it comes to songwriting, and even though I love AB as a studio band, I still wish we could hear another Tremonti/Stapp collaboration with a proper tour afterwards.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

No hostility meant towards you ; sorry if it came across that way. Different opinions indeed is what forms a forum. And yes, we could not disagree more. You worship the first Creed-albums and I think these were just a musical development towards the first 4 AB-albums beiing them at their best. Yes, for me also AB is already over the top. TLH and WTS just are not of the same quality, and I do not even blame Elvis for that. But I am enjoying the Tremonti-stuff so much ; for me it just would be a shame to put that aside for a new bound to fail Stapp-adventure.
Opinions opinions opinions.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Here's my perspective on it:

Creed was my favorite band as a kid. I loved Mark's guitar and Stapp's voice. I must've played Human Clay on repeat constantly.

I liked My Own Prison, but it hasn't aged well with me. Weathered is the same. I like songs like Hide and One Last Breath but that's basically it. I was ecstatic when Creed reunited in 09, and I like Full Circle for what it is.

The relationship with Mark and Stapp is like one I have with an old friend of mine, Louis. Louis and I were super tight but after a while, egos on both sides got in the way and we had a very huge falling out. I'm not going into details into what they were. After a few years, we recently reconnected but he's mad at me because I didn't invite him and his wife on a camping trip with me and a bunch of my buddies. Why didn't I invite him? Because he's proven to me that he hasn't changed at all and while I don't wish ill will on him and will certainly be civil with him, I have no intention to ever really bring him back into my life the way we used to be.

I imagine this is Mark's mentality. I don't think it's that he "holds a grudge" its more along the lines of "I'll be friendly, civil, wish him well, but I don't want to be in a toxic relationship anymore." And I'm NOT saying Stapp is at fault 100% here. Nobody is perfect, Mark included. It takes two to allow relationships to fail.

I hope one day Creed reunites, truly. Even if it doesn't produce an album, I would just like one day to see a photo of the four guys together smiling. Peace in their personal lives is far more important to me than them producing music together.

Side note: Lets not talk about people's finances here, whether it be Mark's or Brian's, it's none of our business. You wouldn't want people discussing your finances, would you?
Thanks Andy!

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I want to hear some new stapp music already! What has he been doing? I wish someone would interview him and ask him about when a new record is coming