The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
austin.
On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by austin. »

Devil Inside You wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:18 am How was Aaron Lewis? Everything I've seen about him makes him come off as the most insufferable asshole imaginable. I almost hate Staind now cause of all the crap that comes out of his mouth. Makes me realize that its what Stapp seems like to people who hate Stapp.
We don’t go see him twice or thrice a year for his political speeches. We go for the music and wish he would just stop talking about bullshit live. He’s top three best vocalists we’ve ever seen, that’s why we keep buying his tickets, but man we wish he would just shut up and play music at his shows. My heroes are mom,dad, my son Myles, scott Stapp, and Aaron Lewis. He’s tarnishing his name talking crazy stuff at shows. Fantastic performer but says some odd stuff.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

austin. wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:17 pm
Devil Inside You wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:18 am How was Aaron Lewis? Everything I've seen about him makes him come off as the most insufferable asshole imaginable. I almost hate Staind now cause of all the crap that comes out of his mouth. Makes me realize that its what Stapp seems like to people who hate Stapp.
We don’t go see him twice or thrice a year for his political speeches. We go for the music and wish he would just stop talking about bullshit live. He’s top three best vocalists we’ve ever seen, that’s why we keep buying his tickets, but man we wish he would just shut up and play music at his shows. My heroes are mom,dad, my son Myles, scott Stapp, and Aaron Lewis. He’s tarnishing his name talking crazy stuff at shows. Fantastic performer but says some odd stuff.
I never like it when bands that were originally not political start being so, like what myles is doing with AB since TLH. He does it a little bit more subtlety. I guess what I'm saying is I understand where you're coming from even though I personally am right leaning myself, and from what I can gather aaron lewis seems to be so.

I remember seeing in the news the guitarist for pink floyd hold concerts now where it's filled with political stuff. I'm not familiar with the history of his shows and whether or not they were always political, but I just hate politics in music. It's always cringe and ages poorly. It just limits the people who can relate to the music because not everyone has the same views. But I can understand if you're a band that begins as a political band because that's the brand you began with. but switching over kind of pisses me off.

it's like man i love ab 1-4. then tlh hits and I hate half the album. 6 is better, experimental. the 7 comes and it seems like tlh again. and this always seems to happen during an election year or when controversial political stuff happens in america. There is a reason why I like a lot of myles' slash stuff more because it has less focus on the political stuff. Same with mark solo material.

But to keep this on topic, Stapp NEVER makes political music. He began not making political music and never delved into it. His lyrics always focused on love, creation, despair, loneliness, mental illness, etc. He has political opinions, but it's not something he puts into his lyrics which is partly why he's a much better lyricist than the others.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I mean... It's on the first page of 'songwriting for dummies'.

1. Don't clap on the first beat
2. Don't allow your drummer to write songs (unless your drummer is Neil Peart)
3. Don't write political songs.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

fudish123 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:04 am Hello everyone, I've found this thread and I want to discuss, of course... Scott Stapp. Most specificaly, his best album (source: my opinion based on the following videos), which never saw the light of the day, I speak of Somewhere in the Middle of Lust and Love. Line which is part of the song "Crazy", you can hear some in studio previews in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuQfThNfLEw]

Full documentary:

https://vimeo.com/3190636

And live in bad quality here, 2008 (incomplete, but I swear the ending was the "I care no more anymore...buried in your memory" part of Overcome, I just can't find it anymore):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xaM1VHpfWE

Also, there was an earlier version of A Prayer For Sunrise, which was called When There's Nothing Left To Do back them.

So, which songs do we know? Well, there's some previews Scott showed in a livestream back in 2010 I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePrDsxxxlhM

El Diablo (Original Sin during live gigs)
Who I am (which made to Proof of Life)
Crazy (from the earlier preview and live video)
Criminal (self released thru his wordpress and it's on youtube)
Somber (same as above)
Waiting For Love (unreleased)
When There's Nothing Left To Do (rearranged and possibily re recorded to be A Prayer For Sunrise)
(I couldn't understand if he named this song or if he just spoke on top of it blasting his stereo)
On This Side
Song Of Empathy
(Some acoustic version of Criminal?)

11 tracks and got 10 more, he wanted it to be a double album, with both sides separated, Lust and Love. Cool Concept, sounded superb in my head (considering the horrible method of playing the songs Scott chose, I think the songs sounded good, raw, but again, may be his stereo blasting thru a cheap mic)

Of the unreleased songs, we got El Diablo/Original Sin live in 2008:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRjztBh_hj8

And earlier versions of Criminal and Who I Am:

Criminal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-SIyja0F3I

Who I Am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhqttmcjqwA

And I think we've seen at least 1 song off the Love side, Crazy In Love. This time the recording is somewhat decent IMO and a rare treat, Scott Playing guitar live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FodP0s4IaGA

So yeah, I think this album would rock. Either that or I'm deceiving myself for putting too much hype on a shitty recording of 30s previews. What do you guys think of this unreleased album? I think it would be better than Proof of Life. I liked it, but it was just it, didn't blow me away as I was expecting for another type of sound. POL sounded way too overproduced (I'm no expert on mastering, recording and stuff here, so feel free to correct me).
I'd really like to talk about this some more since on Scott's fangroups on FB ppl care more about Creed songs than his solo

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

well what do you want to say

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

nagpo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:31 am well what do you want to say
I'd appreciate if more people share their thoughts on it

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

fudish123 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:01 am
this site doesn't have a lot of stapp fans. only a few of us comment here regularly.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

nagpo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:22 am
this site doesn't have a lot of stapp fans. only a few of us comment here regularly.
I see... well, thanks anyway for commenting and let's wait for more Scott news since AB already has an album this year. Talking about AB a little, man... they release 1 album every 3 years, they're so spot on on the timing. 3 years is perfect! I mean, not too long of a wait like, you know, 14 years of APC and 13 of Tool. Gives the band time to tour and write, too. And I'm not even considering their other projects, these guys are album machines.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Which Stapp group are you in? I'm in one and just made a super detailed post about the Lust/Love album a few weeks ago

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I made a detailed post about this album and the unreleased songs in a Stapp Facebook page recently.

So of the songs Stapp plays in that garbage livestream

-Who I Am
-Somber
-Criminal
-A Prayer for Sunrise were all eventually released in some way shape or form.

-El Diablo/Original Sin
-Where Do Yo Go When You Go Crazy
-Life is Better
-On This Side
-Waiting for Love
-Song of Empathy are still unreleased in thier original forms.

When I met Scott he said half of the Lust/Love album was reworked into Proof of Life and the other half was used in Art of Anarchy. Its easy to assume some ideas made it onto Full Circle too. On My Sleeve was originally supposed to be on Lust/Love and Overcome's lyrics come from Somber and another song. No Surrender also has the same lyrics as one of the songs on the livestream.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Scott stressed that the only songs from this album he never reworked or put out were Crazy in Love and Original Sin. Whether that's true or not is really up to personal interpretation cause I'm not a musician. So a song like Overcome for example could be seen as Somber and that other solo song "being released" just because it combines ideas from two previous songs.

As for it being the best Stapp solo album, I'd have to disagree. Outside of Somber, Crazy in Love and Criminal it wasn't really that different from the other songs Stapp has made as a solo artist. Proof of Life is pretty accessible compared to these songs but I also think it funnels most of the best ideas he had from it into one record. As far as personal statements of artistry, The Space Between the Shadows is his best one and The Great Divide is as good as any of the Creed albums IMO.

The only thing Stapp screwed up on was giving Somber to Art of Anarchy and not saving it for Shadows, like he originally planned. There's one other unreleased song called Up from the Ashes that he wrote after he got sober from his 2014 meltdown but it never came out

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

Devil Inside You wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:56 pm

Which Stapp group are you in? I'm in one and just made a super detailed post about the Lust/Love album a few weeks ago
Some fan groups, they're all small, all on fb. These 2
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1463987887180595/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/177467915651712

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

Devil Inside You wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:47 pm I made a detailed post about this album and the unreleased songs in a Stapp Facebook page recently.

So of the songs Stapp plays in that garbage livestream

-Who I Am
-Somber
-Criminal
-A Prayer for Sunrise were all eventually released in some way shape or form.

-El Diablo/Original Sin
-Where Do Yo Go When You Go Crazy
-Life is Better
-On This Side
-Waiting for Love
-Song of Empathy are still unreleased in thier original forms.

When I met Scott he said half of the Lust/Love album was reworked into Proof of Life and the other half was used in Art of Anarchy. Its easy to assume some ideas made it onto Full Circle too. On My Sleeve was originally supposed to be on Lust/Love and Overcome's lyrics come from Somber and another song. No Surrender also has the same lyrics as one of the songs on the livestream.
I saw that video, I think you were the one who told me about that Q&A with Scott. I still have my doubts too on how many songs he actually released from that album too. You can clearly tell that music wise, Crazy, Original Sin, Waiting for Love, On This Side, Song of Empathy and etc were not released at all. Maybe the lyrics, Crazy had some Overcome lines.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

Devil Inside You wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:52 pm

As for it being the best Stapp solo album, I'd have to disagree. Outside of Somber, Crazy in Love and Criminal it wasn't really that different from the other songs Stapp has made as a solo artist. Proof of Life is pretty accessible compared to these songs but I also think it funnels most of the best ideas he had from it into one record. As far as personal statements of artistry, The Space Between the Shadows is his best one and The Great Divide is as good as any of the Creed albums IMO.

The only thing Stapp screwed up on was giving Somber to Art of Anarchy and not saving it for Shadows, like he originally planned. There's one other unreleased song called Up from the Ashes that he wrote after he got sober from his 2014 meltdown but it never came out
It's more of my personal opinion than stating a fact, cuz music is subjective. A song or album can be perfect production wise, musically, lyrically, but if you don't like, then it won't do you any good. I think the songs he showed in that preview stream sounded good and darker than what he's been doing and I like darker stuff. But yeah, being realistic, The Space Between the Shadows is his best solo stuff indeed.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

It was me. Haha Welcome to AB Nation!!! And yeah if you want to discuss Creed this is the best place. All the Creed sites are long gone, and Stapp's Facebook page is filled with old people who don't have a sense of humor or conversation in them. Lol

And like I said, maybe cause Stapp used lyrics or a melody in other songs he considers them released. In either case I think he's writing with Yiannis for #4 so maybe his best work is about to come out.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

Devil Inside You wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:32 pm It was me. Haha Welcome to AB Nation!!! And yeah if you want to discuss Creed this is the best place. All the Creed sites are long gone, and Stapp's Facebook page is filled with old people who don't have a sense of humor or conversation in them. Lol

And like I said, maybe cause Stapp used lyrics or a melody in other songs he considers them released. In either case I think he's writing with Yiannis for #4 so maybe his best work is about to come out.
That's kinda funny... the best place to talk about Stapp and Creed being on an AB forum, oh my haha. Well, let's see what's next in Stapp's Career. SPBTS is my fav album indeed, there's only 2 songs there that I'm not very fond of, "Gone Too Soon" and "Mary's Crying".

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Devil Inside You wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:32 pm It was me. Haha Welcome to AB Nation!!! And yeah if you want to discuss Creed this is the best place. All the Creed sites are long gone, and Stapp's Facebook page is filled with old people who don't have a sense of humor or conversation in them. Lol

yeah he has soft confirmed that yiannis is involved in the writing process. He did this on twitter, which is rare since he rarely engages with social media beyond making an initial post. But Yiannis' involvement could be really epic because the guy is a guitar savant. if you see him play non creed/stapp stuff you can really see just how skilled he is, at least in terms of technical skill. I don't know much about his songwriting abilities. But I'm glad stapp has finally found a guitarist he likes and sticks with.
fudish123 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:14 pm

That's kinda funny... the best place to talk about Stapp and Creed being on an AB forum, oh my haha. Well, let's see what's next in Stapp's Career. SPBTS is my fav album indeed, there's only 2 songs there that I'm not very fond of, "Gone Too Soon" and "Mary's Crying".
I like every song on the record except wake up call. it's not even a rock song and it's kinda cheesy/boring. I liked his dub step song more unironically.

fudish123
Bought The CDs

Post by fudish123 »

[/quote]
I like every song on the record except wake up call. it's not even a rock song and it's kinda cheesy/boring. I liked his dub step song more unironically.
[/quote]
I see, it sounds displaced in the album IMO but I kinda like it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

yeah it doesn't fit in with the record since the other songs are all rocks songs and it sounds like a pop song.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Frankly, I've always thought the stuff he wrote between 2005 and 2019 project was mostly mediocre. That includes Full Circle and the couple of Creed V stuff we heard.
I remember that video (from what? 10 years ago?) where he played long snippets from future songs, and none of them impressed me.
He found his groove and voice back in 2019, and I have very little interest in hearing the material from his "bad" era. But that's just me.