20th Anniversary

A place for all Creed discussion.
JaredWard
Blood Machines

20th Anniversary

Post by JaredWard »

Stijn brought this up to the Mods earlier & I thought I would share. I'm not sure of the exact formation date but this year marks the 20th anniversary of Creed being together & by Creed I mean the four original members. (1995)

Feel free to share your favorite memory or stories from back in the early 90's when they started. I didn't catch on until 98 but it's hard to believe it's been that long. Would be cool to see a box set of some kind but of course that's probably not going to happen.

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: 20th Anniversary

Post by nagpo »

wow damn. Long time for any band, they werent really active for a large part of it but whatever. I myself only heard of them first when Higher hit the radio. But I absorbed the music like a sponge and have been listening to it since.

I think what really got me attached to the music was the fact that I was a kid who was, like Stapp, questioning his beliefs and what he was taught by the adults around him. Although he and I ended up in different places on many religious opinions, I still find things in the lyrics and the music interesting and relateable.

It was somewhat hard growing up as a Creed fan though lol. I could never openly talk about liking them or risk getting picked on. So all my creed friends were on creedfeed and here. But now that i'm an adult I don't really care about that stuff. The 00's were a weird time when it came to music rivalry, weren't they?

If you were to tell me back in '03 what would happen to the band and its members by now I wouldn't believe you that's for sure. It would've depressed the hell outta me. But I still think the the band was very important and more influencial than they've been given credit. Probably because it's still not 'cool' to like creed.

Anyways, I would also like them to release a collectors set of sort, that includes all recordings and documentaries and video, all footage, unreleased stuff - everything. Just not handeled by the same people who did the AB set lol. But as it is now, with Stapp MIA (and whose condition is...fragile), and nobody even knowing the status of the Creed name in relation to a label, it'll probably never happen.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

There's still hope in me that Creed V will come one day. Musically these guys have never been in a better position to prove the critics wrong.

Until then I wish Scott Stapp to get well soon.

Happy Birthday Creed, my all time favorite band :cheers

By the way: awesome picture, Jared Wared !

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Thanks! I made that back in 09. lol As a band they've been 'active' for around 10 years if you count the reunion.

(1995-2003) - (2009/2010)

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Stapps looks like the Godfather in that photo

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

It sure is hard to believe.

My family moved from England to California in 1998 when I was in middle school. Shortly thereafter I heard "One" on the radio, and I was hooked. I've never cared much about lyrical content; the melodies and the prominence of the guitar parts were what sold me.

It was quite formidable how quickly the country turned on them. By the time Weathered was released, they were as despised as they were successful. Like nagpo, I took a lot of shit at school, mainly because they were "Jesus freaks."

I'll be the first to admit that Stapp had become something of a charicature of himself -- what with the chest-pounding and his odd singing accent -- but it annoyed me that a) people mistook them for a Christian band, and b) people considered that a bad thing regardless.

I was never one to be affected by others' negativity. But the Creed ridicule did start to hurt after a while. It's one thing if someone makes fun of your appearance; even if it hurts, you know that person's just a dick. But when they mock something that you're hugely passionate about, it can cut pretty deep.

When Creed broke up and announced the birth of Alter Bridge, I was honestly relieved. Finally the ridicule would end. Plus, my musical tastes were evolving past Creed's more radio-friendly style, and I was excited for AB to take things in a new direction.

I really can't complain about the way things turned out. Creed will always hold a special place in my heart, but I'm glad to have Alter Bridge and Tremonti doing their own thing now.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Creed's more radio friendly style?

That always boggles my mind.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Maybe not nowadays, but you don't need me to tell you that they did quite well on the radio in their heyday.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Just because radio embraced them doesn't mean those first two albums were written for the radio.

Shortman45
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Shortman45 »

It is hard to believe it has been this long.

I think they should do something special for the 20th Anniversary.

I would love it if they released a live concert from 1997-2002. Or even the Ron Ranew documentary.
I really want to hear this song in full:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/iHwGBWDOy-Q[/youtube]

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

chtimixeur wrote:Just because radio embraced them doesn't mean those first two albums were written for the radio.
Certainly not. But by the time Weathered rolled around, their flagship songs were OLB and MS, which in a way almost cheapened their previous two hits (WAWO and "Higher"). At that point I started looking for just a bit more complexity and musicianship, and AB delivered beautifully.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

1995 was indeed the year Naked Toddler (formed in 1993) changed name into CREED and at the end of the year Brasher left the band.. so yeah.. happy 20th birthday to CREED!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

abw1987 wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:Just because radio embraced them doesn't mean those first two albums were written for the radio.
Certainly not. But by the time Weathered rolled around, their flagship songs were OLB and MS, which in a way almost cheapened their previous two hits (WAWO and "Higher"). At that point I started looking for just a bit more complexity and musicianship, and AB delivered beautifully.

OLB is probably one of the most beautiful SONGS written in years. Simple yet meaningful. You see a radio friendly song doesn't have to mean theres no good there. Since when has complexity in technique become a measure for good music? Watch Over You is a brilliant song, its beautiful from start to finish, yet its extremely radiofriendly, ain't it?. Let your radio jockey play Watch Over You a million times everyday, you'll grow sick of it, doesn't change the fact that it actually is a beautiful song, up there with the other best AB songs. Its the content, the intent of a song, and choice of notes to tell a story that matters when it comes to a song imo. Not how many guitar notes are being played per beat. Songs on Fortress will be forgotten with time, One Day Remains and Blackbird will stand the test of time. Cuz they were about telling stories, not about what circus they can do with their instruments.

Anyways, we can go over this again and again as all of us have been for years, and it won't stop.

Honestly, I am probably as big a fan of Myles and AB as I am of Creed, The Mayfield Four and Citizen Swing, though I might come off as "creed diehard" to some here. And I can tell you, there was nothing radio friendly about the deeper cuts of Creed, including some songs on weathered. Not sure how many who pass judgements about the band, or claim to have heard the band, have actually heard them, but most of MOP and HC were far from radiofriendly. There was heavy content in there. A song like Wash Away Those Years, Or Young Grow Old(This song is face melting stuff), radiofriendly? Songs like Signs, Bullets, Weathered, Whose Got My Back were not radiofriendly. Bound And Tied, ever heard of it? Thats the heavy Mark used to be, and I can't wait to hear that side of him again. Its not about progression here, he is running away from that sound cuz has been made to believe its not great. Full Circle had songs for radio. Although when I go back to it now and then, there few decent songs on it, but it was mostly radio friendly.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Them Bones wrote:Full Circle had songs for radio. Although when I go back to it now and then, there few decent songs on it, but it was mostly radio friendly.
Exactly, that's the big difference between early Creed and Full Circle.
You can tell now when Mark is trying to write a single.
Overcome, Rise Today or All Ends well don't sound as genuine as Mark's early stuff to my ears.
And even though it's still way too early to tell, Sympathy sounds like another song that's been written just for the radio.

I wish he could write a straight up "soft" song that sounded real and genuine, just like in the old Creed days.
These days, since he's been sharing writing duties wih Myles, his songs sound like a bunch of parts added together, and I'm starting to wonder whether he can still write an original song that flows perfectly from start to finish (Burn it down being one the last genuine sounding tunes he wrote, as far as I'm concerned).

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Mhh, I like Overcome and Rise Today. I think the only song where he took the radio friendlyness too far in the past years is "Rain". That's such a terrible song imo. I actually like the full album "Full Circle" but it has nothing to do with the Creed "spirit". Mark totally nails dem downtuned guitars.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I liked Full Circle for what it was. You have to take into consideration the limited time they had to put together those songs. Most of it was stock-piled ideas that Mark had on his laptop & I highly doubt he was storing Creed ideas since 2004 when they had split. If they ever decide to do another album hopefully they'll learn from Full Circle + have more time to embrace their roots.

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

Considering Weathered was written in 3 weeks, FC album took it sweet time to finish. FC came right out of Scott and Mark first time jamming is years. Rain had it's pieces written back since 1995. I disagree Overcome is a radio friendly song. It got played in rock rotation only. Except for Rain the rest of the songs are heavy even AIS (yeah the guitar distortion and perhaps vocal distortion are too much for radio).

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Remember when Mark's tape recorder was stolen at the end of 2004 ?
He lost a lot of ideas because of that, and some of those may have been intended for Creed IV back then.
Also, Blackbird could have been completely different if this had not happened.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

number1 wrote:Considering Weathered was written in 3 weeks, FC album took it sweet time to finish. FC came right out of Scott and Mark first time jamming is years. Rain had it's pieces written back since 1995. I disagree Overcome is a radio friendly song. It got played in rock rotation only. Except for Rain the rest of the songs are heavy even AIS (yeah the guitar distortion and perhaps vocal distortion are too much for radio).
Rock radio is still radio. It's not like adding an electric guitar makes a song less radio friendly.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Weathered was written in 3 weeks? Explains why there are songs like Don't Stop Dancing on it. :D