Mark about a Creed reunion

A place for all Creed discussion.
Devil Inside You
Isolated

Re: Mark about a Creed reunion

Post by Devil Inside You »

nagpo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:44 pm
Timotheus wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:33 pm I don't actively come to the Creed sub section. I just check the active threads.

Cool that you've got that role model thing going on with Stapp. I personally have no issue with anybody's sex life. It's just about as genuine as Putin preaching peace or Cruella De Vil preaching animal rights.
i guess the world is a cartoon to you?

Good thing he made sure to apologize to Scarecrow. I guess you and I can just get piss off then. I swear Alter Bridge and Creed fans are the most cantankerous people on earth. Always have to have the last word in.

Which is hilarious because neither band has done anything to push rock music forward. Creed put a new spin on already established genre, and Alter Bridge just makes very good music, but by no means do they evolve rock in any way shape or form.

I swear, Pink Floyd fans are more diplomatic and less argumentative than some of the people here.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

So are you some sort of fundamentalist Christian? It would explain why the theology comment upset you so and also why Stapp having consensual sex with a groupie is so traumatic to you. Just doesn't explain how you can be cool with Myles Kennedy's heathen lyrics about questioning God.
I'm an atheist and am morally fine with the act of making a sex tape.

I'm sorry, but you guys don't get a free-pass on here to talk shit about Mark's character and worship Stapp without anybody disagreeing. I read what's written and will comment when I agree or disagree.
In this case, I found your comment humorous and commented jokingly. I never took offense. Re-read my posts if you wish.

Do you really expext an apology from somebody for having another opinion?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Timotheus wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:13 am
So are you some sort of fundamentalist Christian? It would explain why the theology comment upset you so and also why Stapp having consensual sex with a groupie is so traumatic to you. Just doesn't explain how you can be cool with Myles Kennedy's heathen lyrics about questioning God.

I'm sorry, but you guys don't get a free-pass on here to talk shit about Mark's character and worship Stapp without anybody disagreeing. I read what's written and will comment when I agree or disagree.
In this case, I found your comment humorous and commented jokingly. I never took offense. Re-read my posts if you wish.

It's impossible for an atheist to have morals for they have no God. They have no moral paradigm to guide them because there is no objective, divine, judge to tell them what is right or wrong and no punishment or reward for acting a certain way to grant their destination after life. Therefor, whatever ought to be good, for an atheist, is merely judged by the state or the natural being, and thusly flippant, built on sand, and subject to change on will.

I never said the sex tape was moral. But I'm not an atheist, and can recognize what is morally wrong. I am aware of my own hypocrisy.

Secondly, I don't understand your meaning behind "just joking" and then say you'll not let people talk poorly about mark. Seems like you do take it seriously and even go out of your way to defend him, kind of like how you say we "worship" stapp similarly and defend his actions. Or is that a joke too?

im just joking btw :lol no offense

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

nagpo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:39 am
Timotheus wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:21 am Obviously that teacher was a dick and it sucks that he had to go through that. I apologize to Scarecrow if my comment was out of place.

I post on this board because I'm an Alter Bridge fan, not because I like to surround myself with Stapp fans. It's just that Stapp often say things on this AB forum that I don't always agree with. That one comment is an example of that.
but you're actively coming in the creed subforums to talk shit about stapp lol. makes no sense. and making sex tapes is cool. if i was a rock star i would've doe it too. the only reason it got out was because someone broke into stapps house. stapps was living the life every other rock star was living. doesn't bother me. why do men care where other men put their dick? kinda gay tbh
Get lost with your homophobia. Seriously, take a hike.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

nagpo wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:51 am

It's impossible for an atheist to have morals for they have no God.
Jesus fucking Christ. :rolleyes

This thread, my goodness. What a shit show.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Timotheus wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:21 am Obviously that teacher was a dick and it sucks that he had to go through that. I apologize to Scarecrow if my comment was out of place.

I post on this board because I'm an Alter Bridge fan, not because I like to surround myself with Stapp fans. It's just that Stapp often say things on this AB forum that I don't always agree with. That one comment is an example of that.
You are not the person in this thread who owes me an apology lmao. I agree with just about everything you've said. I'm not sure I'm an atheist (I am a bit of a nihilist although I'm also super into Carl Jung) but I am most certainly NOT a Christian anymore. Couldn't be happier to have escaped that whole... thing. My life is so much better for it. <3

Confused by the previous intimation that a theology teacher should like Creed, that doesn't make much sense to me, but I don't think that's a debate I wish to pursue.

I DO wish we were able to have a levelheaded conversation about the future (or lack thereof) of Creed but a few folks (Stapp fans, bordering on trolls) are making that impossible.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

scarecrow wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:21 pm
nagpo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:39 am

but you're actively coming in the creed subforums to talk shit about stapp lol. makes no sense. and making sex tapes is cool. if i was a rock star i would've doe it too. the only reason it got out was because someone broke into stapps house. stapps was living the life every other rock star was living. doesn't bother me. why do men care where other men put their dick? kinda gay tbh
Get lost with your homophobia. Seriously, take a hike.
i'm not homophopic. that's offensive. it's objective that men keen on other men's genitals is a homosexual act.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

scarecrow wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:23 pm
nagpo wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:51 am

It's impossible for an atheist to have morals for they have no God.
Jesus fucking Christ. :rolleyes

This thread, my goodness. What a shit show.
wait, I thought he was joking

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: you’re welcome

Post by zazthespaz »

This is ridiculous. I’m going to lock this thread for a few days and give you all a breather. Hopefully some of you will have matured in that time.

Update: Unlocked 10/26 @ 2:30ET
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

Yikes! I'm going to try and steer this ship back on course. I absolutely love Creed. Human Clay remains my top album of all time and I may attempt to write a review in the favorite albums thread. I've listened to it hundreds of times. It introduced me to modern rock back in the late 90s before I graduated high school. I became a Mark Tremonti fan and started playing guitar again because of him. He is the reason I gave Alter Bridge a chance back in 2004 even though I was devastated that Creed had broken up. I was really disappointed with Scott Stapp but wanted to give him chances to redeem himself. I read his book and picked up his first solo album. God knows I've screwed up enough things in my own life and have been forgiven for them. I saw Creed during the Full Circle reunion tour in 2009 and then twice again in 2012 when they played Human Clay in full. I am content if Scott, Mark, Flip, and Brian never play together again. The music they produced is incredibly special to me. I'm still proud to say that I'm a Creed fan and am happy to see Scott Stapp finally in a good state of physical, mental, and vocal health. Here's the thing though. Alter Bridge is my favorite band. I've followed them through my adult life and each album release has marked key points in my story. My questions for everyone are, "if you want a Creed reunion, why?" along with, "what do you expect from the band members?" A new album? Another tour of playing the hits?
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

scarecrow wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:04 pm I believe we will see Creed again. Early 90s nostalgia is hitting hard now. Won't be *too* long before we see some degree of Creed nostalgia - of the 'wait, maybe they wrote some really great, catchy songs actually?' variety. And also former fans getting over feeling uncool and just embracing music that once connected with them and made them feel good.

But it'll be a while.
Interesting you should say that. I just finished watching Thor - Love & Thunder - which is an homage to GnR. I imagine Creed may have some type of push back into the public eye in another decade when 90s stuff comes back into fashion.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Schulzy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:55 pm Yikes! I'm going to try and steer this ship back on course. I absolutely love Creed. Human Clay remains my top album of all time and I may attempt to write a review in the favorite albums thread. I've listened to it hundreds of times. It introduced me to modern rock back in the late 90s before I graduated high school. I became a Mark Tremonti fan and started playing guitar again because of him. He is the reason I gave Alter Bridge a chance back in 2004 even though I was devastated that Creed had broken up. I was really disappointed with Scott Stapp but wanted to give him chances to redeem himself. I read his book and picked up his first solo album. God knows I've screwed up enough things in my own life and have been forgiven for them. I saw Creed during the Full Circle reunion tour in 2009 and then twice again in 2012 when they played Human Clay in full. I am content if Scott, Mark, Flip, and Brian never play together again. The music they produced is incredibly special to me. I'm still proud to say that I'm a Creed fan and am happy to see Scott Stapp finally in a good state of physical, mental, and vocal health. Here's the thing though. Alter Bridge is my favorite band. I've followed them through my adult life and each album release has marked key points in my story. My questions for everyone are, "if you want a Creed reunion, why?" along with, "what do you expect from the band members?" A new album? Another tour of playing the hits?
Schulzy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:02 pm
scarecrow wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:04 pm I believe we will see Creed again. Early 90s nostalgia is hitting hard now. Won't be *too* long before we see some degree of Creed nostalgia - of the 'wait, maybe they wrote some really great, catchy songs actually?' variety. And also former fans getting over feeling uncool and just embracing music that once connected with them and made them feel good.

But it'll be a while.
Interesting you should say that. I just finished watching Thor - Love & Thunder - which is an homage to GnR. I imagine Creed may have some type of push back into the public eye in another decade when 90s stuff comes back into fashion.
Agree with all of this. Sad this thread got so off track and I apologize if I had anything to do with that. I'm here on this forum and writing this post because Creed was so important to me during my adolescence. Would absolutely not want them to reunite again if they weren't all into it (for whatever reasons, and if it made financial sense again, I say go for it). But none of them owe us that. Period. And Mark has every right in the world to say whatever he wants to say on the subject.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

I think Creed *will* have some kind of pop culture resurgence (unlike a lot of other bands from the post-grunge era) because the songwriting was THERE. Several cuts above the rest. Personally I think it was mostly Mark whose pop sensibilities took the band to untold heights, but I'm biased and no one outside of the band and their inner circle will ever know who was responsible for what.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

I’ve been a Creed fan since 1997 when I was in elementary school traveling around campus with My Own Prison stuck in my head. I remained a and from 1997 clear up until the announcement of the breakup of Creed and the formation of Alter Bridge. I have followed Alter Bridge from their formation up to present day. I was a huge Creed fan back in the day, I like everything that they've released, there wasn’t a song in the entire catalog that I didn’t like for their entire run as a band. Looking back in hindsight though they did have a few tracks that only because of the lyrical content for me personally makes them kind of cringe nowadays. Higher, Who’s Got My Back, Stand Here with Me. All of the My Own Prison album, the rest of Human Clay, as well as Weathered holds up pretty well in my opinion.

When the band broke up the guys went in other directions creatively, artistically, and they really grew as a band especially when it came to their skills and I believe that no one exemplifies this more than Mark. So when they got back together in 2009 for the reunion tour and new album, of course things were not going to sound the same, of course it wasn’t going to sound like the Creed of old. At that point there had been a six year gap. Normally if a band continues a career and it is ongoing, unless they are deliberately trying to achieve a certain sound, you’re going to hear natural growth and evolution. In this case they broke up in 2003 and pursued other creative avenues so when they got back together and recorded new music at least in my mind of course it was going to sound different it was never going to sound the same. I look at it like this, think about if you have a friend that you haven’t seen in six years, obviously the next time you see them after such a big gap in between they’re not going to look the exact same way they did the last time you saw them, in my mind that is what happened here, just in a sonic sense.

I completely understand people wanting Creed to sound like Creed. What is really being said is that we want Creed to sound the way we remember them, we want new music to be created and we want that new music to sound the way we were accustomed to the band sounding. At this point in Mark’s career specifically he has come such a long way as a musician and as a player that the only way he may be able to get those characteristics back is if he decided to go back and listen to their discography and then consciously choose to write songs in that style. That is something that at this point in his life I don’t think he want to do. I just don’t think he wants to consciously have to fit into any kind of a mold.

When a band breaks up, when they’re big the way that Creed was I feel like they create a time capsule because they’re never going to be able to return years down the line and literally pick up right where they left off. If they ever reform and release new material after any extended period of time you're going to have a gap there and it’s going to be different. What’s in the past is in the past and anything moving forward from the initial run is going to be vastly different.

In a couple of interviews, Mark has said that he is sitting on about an album worth of material that he would consider Creed material. This that mean that it sounds like old-school Creed? No, I think it just means that it is music which is closer to the style of Creed than any other of his projects. Naturally, it is in my opinion that it is most likely more mature sounding then their classic catalog, but in my mind that is to be expected with the growth of any artist, their sound is going to mature over time.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

I don’t think you can fault Mark for how he handles the Creed reunion questions. I think it’s rather ridiculous that people are still bringing it up today in 2022. He tried the reunion in 2009 when Scott claimed that he was a completely different person, and yet for reasons (some we know and if were honest some we don’t) it didn’t work. It is also completely possible that now present-day Scott could be a completely different person now that he is on the proper medication and has a proper diagnosis, having said that though if you put yourself in Mark’s shoes would you be eager to jump back into a situation in which you have been burned twice? Especially after you spent what will be 20 years next year building another band in which you seemingly have no restrictions, no drama and no instability. I think he has found the softest way possible to say what he wants to say, there’s just no time because of everything else I’ve got going on. We all know that if Mark really wanted to do it, there would be time.

What I think is a little sad is that Scott continues to play sets primarily composed of Creed songs as far as I’m aware. I feel like if he had spent the last two decades with a stronger focus on his solo material instead of songs composed while a part of his previous band, he would perhaps be a bigger more established artist known more or at the very least equally for his newer material as well as his older material. Proof of Life I thought really had some good songs on it. The Space between the Shadows I thought was some of his best work in decades, especially Name. There’s no question that he has the talent, when it was announced that he had joined Art of Anarchy I thought it was really going to be something special, and when that album came out I thought it was really good, it’s a shame that for whatever reason it didn’t work out and I will never really understand that.

It really puts Scott in an unfortunate situation where it makes him look like he’s at the mercy of the other guys and what they choose to do. I feel like had he really put the same level of focus into his solo career as the guys made a conscious effort to do with Alter Bridge, he’d be in a much better position today and he wouldn’t have to seemingly rely on the other guys. I think he should really try to find a guitarist that's willing to really form a partnership with him instead of being just a hired gun, really focus on building something so that he can get to a point where he can look at it and say if Creed gets back together cool but I don't really need it, I'm not dependent on it.

Mark makes time for what he wants to make time for. Going back to Creed probably feels like it’s a step backwards for him because he has come so far since then and especially if he has to try to fit into the old sound or the old vibe. As an artist naturally I would imagine he wants to bring his improved skills forward into a more mature sounding version of the band, but it’s difficult for the fans because they want Creed the way they used to be, and it will never truly be that way again.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Great posts.
I just think Mark is not a better songwriter than he was in the Creed and early Alter Bridge days.
He's definitely a better guitar player, but his songs had a bigger impact on the listeners and didn't feel as predictable as they do now.
Sometimes, simpler is just better, and in the case of Creed, their music still sounds far more genuine to me than anything AB related.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

chtimixeur wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:14 pm Great posts.
I just think Mark is not a better songwriter than he was in the Creed and early Alter Bridge days.
He's definitely a better guitar player, but his songs had a bigger impact on the listeners and didn't feel as predictable as they do now.
Sometimes, simpler is just better, and in the case of Creed, their music still sounds far more genuine to me than anything AB related.
I really do agree with you. For example, I think that Fortress was a true masterpiece and the true follow up to Blackbird. AB III was good but in my opinion Fortress just hit it out of the park. His work in his solo band I think has been quite good as well. Pawns & Kings is okay in my opinion but I think the best songs were the ones which were released before the album dropped. It hasn't grown on me yet

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

TF4L it's been a while since I've seen you on the board. I remember you back from the ABB.net days when my screen name was Faulk2882. Thanks for taking time to write everything out. You make a ton of good points.
When a band breaks up, when they’re big the way that Creed was I feel like they create a time capsule because they’re never going to be able to return years down the line and literally pick up right where they left off. If they ever reform and release new material after any extended period of time you're going to have a gap there and it’s going to be different. What’s in the past is in the past and anything moving forward from the initial run is going to be vastly different.
There's a big question hanging out there that I'm afraid will never be answered - "What If?" Yes, that was intentional and you can add a bunch of things after that - Scott Stapp had never screwed up? Myles had not agreed to join Alter Bridge? Mark decided to not do his solo stuff? I will repeat what I said earlier - I'm okay with all of that and am grateful for the music that the guys created with Creed. I have the feeling it will be a GnR type of thing where they do a reunion tour in their late 50s or 60s - maybe another 10 years down the road. We shall see......

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Latest Mark quote about a Creed reunion.
"There's always talks — people running ideas back and forth — but we don't know as of yet, 'cause we're so in the deep with this Alter Bridge record that's it's tough to kind of get sidetracked right now.

"I'm sure something will happen at some point. Creed was such a popular band back in the day, it would be a shame to not do something with it. I know there's still tons of fans out there that would appreciate it, so it's just a matter of timing."
source: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... th_it.html

He's warming up to the idea, little by little.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

"wake me up when tremonti ends"

aka: just call me when creed actually gets back together