AB V

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: AB V

Post by One Drew Remains »

I have yet to check it out either. I will though. Even though I don't care for Myle's vox as much with Slash for some reason. I guess it sounds more nasally to me. Please don't lynch me for that.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I didn't think his voice sounded very good on Apocalyptic Love (tone wise, technically he was fine as always). I thought he sounded a lot better on World On Fire. I think I give Elvis credit for shaping his studio voice into sounding really good.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

I hope they go back to their ODR days of writing, yet it keep it "complex" to keep fans happy.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

Them Bones wrote:I hope they go back to their ODR days of writing, yet it keep it "complex" to keep fans happy.
That would actually be pretty good. I'd love to hear them write another song like the title track ODR, that's a pretty hard riff and it's pretty melodic too. That and another song sort of like In Loving Memory just because their ballads are amazing but AB back them was just Mark so it wasn't really an AB record to me.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

One Drew Remains wrote:I have yet to check it out either. I will though. Even though I don't care for Myle's vox as much with Slash for some reason. I guess it sounds more nasally to me. Please don't lynch me for that.
I kinda think Myles does that on purpose, to differentiate himself from AB. I don't thinks he needs to do that. I also do prefer his voice on AB.

I miss his voice from One Day Remains too.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I do too. We got to hear it again on Lover a bit. I'd love to hear more of it on the next record.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Roneit wrote: I miss his voice from One Day Remains too.
Me too. AB over utilizes harmonies these days, whether it's Myles singing with 2-3 versions of himself or Mark going a smidgen under full duet volume. Think this is part of the difference.

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

I miss the bite and anger that Myles' voice had on the BB record; the verses in Buried Alive are a good example of what I mean.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Myles had an awesome, raspyish growl in ODR that I rarely hear in more recent songs. Like in the title track, it's sung SO well.

"Don't lay doowwwwn andd dieeeeee" is a good example.

Most of the songs were just lower. Idk how much that has to do with it. But even when there were high notes, he sung them beautifully. Burn it Down is just fantastic. Every word.

Hope they go back to that sort of format for some of the songs on V

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

If recent history can tell us something, it is that he is going go higher, with multiple overproduced voice over voice (thanks Elvis).

For me, the best vocal in the Fortress is from Lover. And it kinda gravitates between MF4 and ODR.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Listened to "Second Skin" this morning on my way to university. Best decision of the day. That reminded me again why I miss the old Myles voice so much. Since he works with Slash, he always sings so fucking high. But this style doesn't sound cool by any means, not on Slash's records, not on AB records. I'd say that Myles would get less hate from the GnR fans, if he would sing the covers with his low and or overdriven voice.

vChris
White Knuckled

Post by vChris »

Myles mentioned sometime that the low songs are much more exhausting / tiring for his voice than the higher songs which come more naturally for his him. He gives so much thought in preserving his voice and grew more comfortable and confident giving his own opinion while working with everybody over time. That he is in two bands and goes on tour with both might factor in to the tendency?

And GnR fans would hate anybody who is not axl. I don't think a low singing voice would change much.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

The Fortress interview I saw said he was tired of singing so high all the time because you have to squeeze your balls so tight :shifty

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Honestly, I'd just like a continued evolution of their music (with a Broken Wings type thrown in for us diehards!).
Altered:

stokie steve
Brand New Start

Post by stokie steve »

I would like them continue where they left off but add in a acoustic ballad with a piano and maybe slight orchestral moment if they have the budget.
Myles release his angrier vocals as he did in one day remains.
And a song which could explore some symphonic metal with crunching riffs whilst there experimenting. Some really big epic orchestral moment during tremontis crunching rifts.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

I don't think Myles uses the ODR voice as much anymore because it's not technically "good" for you.
He's using a bit more grit, and yeah, it sounds awesome for alot of the material, but I think he's wary of overdoing that kind of thing because he wants his voice to last as long as possible.

Personally, I love both voices. And I would rather have the current voice that lasts for 20 or 30 more years, than the raspier one that only might last for 10 or 15 more.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

:yeahthat

Back in the day, he struggled to hit the high note in "Find the Real", and his voice would sound strained while doing so. Nowadays, his newer technique allows him to hit that note -- and sustain it -- with ease.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

I will admit that I prefer the way he did Find the Real on ODR. However, their newer material suits his post ODR technique much better. And I'm all for him being able to sing for another 30 years lol

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

JSlade wrote:I miss the bite and anger that Myles' voice had on the BB record; the verses in Buried Alive are a good example of what I mean.
I feel like he had that same intensity on Cry A River...maybe it's just me though

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

slasherbridge wrote:
JSlade wrote:I miss the bite and anger that Myles' voice had on the BB record; the verses in Buried Alive are a good example of what I mean.
I feel like he had that same intensity on Cry A River...maybe it's just me though
Not really. I mean the verses of Cry A River are rather agressive but it's not the same distorted sounding Myles that I loved on BB and every album before.
Since we are talking about Cry A River: Am I the only one who thinks that the chorus totally destroys the song?