Your Ultimate Bottom 5 Alter Bridge Songs

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Your Ultimate Bottom 5 Alter Bridge Songs

Post by Arctic »

We Don't Care At All
Breathe Again
Coming Home
Break Me Down
One By One

I don't hate any of these songs, but they are the ones I almost always skip when listening to AB. WDCAA just has an awkward flow to it, and I never could get into it. Breathe Again is just too light and bouncy for me. I don't like the rhythm in Coming Home or the vocal melody, the chorus just sounds odd to me. I don't dislike Break Me Down or One By One, they are just much weaker compared to all the others, so they make the list.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYmKj4jXImM

Best live performance of any song you'll ever see for the Burn it Down haters. Listen to the crowd reaction after Myles in the 2nd verse says "it used to be so easy..." and then also look at Mark pointing at Myles saying "he's about to bring it."

Also check out Myles during the bridge. The emotion is so fucking raw. The way he shakes as if he actually as an addiction is chilling. Then the solo when Myles hits that note is awesome.

The way the album version of the song is, you'd think "this probably isn't good live." But after you get past the 1st chorus, its simply amazing. Unbelievable. I love this song so much and I'm hellbent on turning people who don't.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Oh man!! The old days... One guitarist. Tiny club. The whole room hungry to make things happen.

I actually never saw that video. I saw a couple of the ULU performances, but the quality is lousy compared to other footage available from that era.

This has always been one of my favorites:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/t9NIz7E_ys0[/youtube]
Not even a year later, and they've already started building a following. The room is bigger, the crowd is rowdier. Myles has just a hair more swagger. Mark adds a bit more flair. Fucking love it.

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

1. Waters Rising (I don't mind Mark's harmonies, but I don't like his voice enough to listen to just him, although, I do like WDTTW)
2. Buried Alive
3. Coming Home
4. Coeur d'Alene
5. Breathe Again

But based on 50 AB songs (not counting bonus tracks), I have 34 on my iPod. So there's quite a few I don't like. If the melody doesn't grab me, I toss it.
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

This is an evil thread! I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it. But the Watch Over You duet with Scabbia would definitely feature...

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

In no particular order:

Shed My Skin
Save Me
We Don't Care At All
Zero
Make It Right

Honorable Mention:

Down to My Last

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Not in any order:

Cry a River - Nasally Vocals: The Song
Breathe Again
Make It Right
Still Remains
Before Tomorrow Comes

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

1. Open Your Eyes
2. Break Me Down
3-5. All of the Blackbird bonus songs

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

New Way To Live!?!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Dolo wrote:Words Darker Than Their Wings (it's overrrated as fuck IMO)
Wonderful Life (same as above, don't like Myles' vocals on this one)
We Don't Care At All
Make It Right
Breathe Again

Woooooooothaaaaa fuk, Words Darker Than Their Wings is a fucking masterpiece. I've come to realize that after 5 years or so. But the rest is pretty much the same. I'd just swap WDTTW for either All Ends Well or Break Me Down.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

mockingbird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mockingbird »

Breathe Again
Before Tomorrow Comes
Down To My Last
Wonderful Life
Outright
Last edited by mockingbird on Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

The only one for me is Show Me A Sign. To me its just a loud cacophony of harsh noise. The vocal effects and echoes make me want to rip my ears out. And the whole cringe-worthy, "to the darkness I am born" bit. Not a fan.

AB has a couple of unremarkable songs - Break Me Down, Breathe Again, Cry A River and some of the B-sides. SMAS is the only one I would call a 'bad' song. But 1 out of 50+ is pretty amazing. No one does anthemic hard rock better than AB.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Cry A River - AB is better than this.
Show Me A Sign - EH. I see what you did there but it lacked.
Make it Right - never connected to it.
The Uninvited - I tend to just skip this one
Zer0 - because

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I looked at my collection in iTunes and these songs for me stood out as skippers (random order):
Break Me Down
Rise Today
All Ends Well
Wonderful Life
Breathe Again

I didn't count any B-sides because then the whole list would only be B-sides. They always are my least favorite of an album.

Burn It Down is probably my fav ODR song, it's so raw and full of emotion. Love the bluesy feel of it.
Last edited by fix on Thu May 26, 2016 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:The only one for me is Show Me A Sign. To me its just a loud cacophony of harsh noise. The vocal effects and echoes make me want to rip my ears out. And the whole cringe-worthy, "to the darkness I am born" bit. Not a fan.

AB has a couple of unremarkable songs - Break Me Down, Breathe Again, Cry A River and some of the B-sides. SMAS is the only one I would call a 'bad' song. But 1 out of 50+ is pretty amazing. No one does anthemic hard rock better than AB.
SMAS gets no love on this site. When AB3 came out, I considered this my favorite AB song to date. I wouldn't say that today, but it's still one of my all time favorites. I guess you just have to be able to relate to the lyrics. So much emotion. You can literally hear his pain and hopelessness in his voice. I remember reading an interview and Mark saying that after he heard Myles vocals, he felt like he should go give him a hug or something. Also in an interview, Mark said they thought it was the best in the album. Idk, I'm rambling now lol. While I'm here though, Coming Home and One By One don't get enough credit on here either. I couldn't think of any way to make Coming Home better (and it has one of their best bridges/breakdowns to date), and One By One has one of their most underrated choruses. Love the harmonies. That is all, rant over lol.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:The only one for me is Show Me A Sign. To me its just a loud cacophony of harsh noise. The vocal effects and echoes make me want to rip my ears out. And the whole cringe-worthy, "to the darkness I am born" bit. Not a fan.

SMAS gets no love on this site. When AB3 came out, I considered this my favorite AB song to date. I wouldn't say that today, but it's still one of my all time favorites. I guess you just have to be able to relate to the lyrics. So much emotion. You can literally hear his pain and hopelessness in his voice. I remember reading an interview and Mark saying that after he heard Myles vocals, he felt like he should go give him a hug or something. Also in an interview, Mark said they thought it was the best in the album. Idk, I'm rambling now lol. While I'm here though, Coming Home and One By One don't get enough credit on here either. I couldn't think of any way to make Coming Home better (and it has one of their best bridges/breakdowns to date), and One By One has one of their most underrated choruses. Love the harmonies. That is all, rant over lol.
Completely agree with everything you just said.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

I guess I gotta give my bottom 5 now though.
1. Never Born to Follow - not a bad song by any means, but of any AB song, this would be at the very bottom.
2. Cry A River - no particular reason, just doesn't resonate with me as much as other songs.
3. I know It Hurts - Same as last one.
4. All Ends Well - I like the song. I listen to it every time I listen to Fortress, but I feel it is their least strong as far as ballads go.
5. Watch Your Words - Again, I love the song and I've listened to it endless times. I just tend to skip this one more than any other song on ODR.

I still love every one of these songs. The only one I haven't listened to in forever is Never Born to Follow. This is just an instance where someone might say "pick 5 AB songs to never listen to again, or you die" type situation haha.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Show Me A Sign just is super monotonous. Not because of the instruments, but because of the production. If the song was produced differently (ODR or Fortress-like), it would've been received a lot better I think.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I love that everyone has different opinions and hears different things in the music. I think some of these mentioned are absolutely crazy, but to me.. I Know It Hurts and Make It Right are some of my favourites.

IKIH helped save my life when I was at my lowest and I'll always regard it highly. I just love the eclectic variations we have here! It's great, so great

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

1) Blackbird
2) Cry of Achilles
3) Slip to the Void
4) Ties That Bind
5) Fortress
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"