Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by Dolo »

2h and 15 minutes until the track is in New Zealand!
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Oh sweet so we don't need to worry about Octane after all!
For all of the hope that it brings...

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

I was a little underwhelmed. I'm sure it'll grow on me though. (NordVPN set to new Zealand)

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Well.. don’t know what to think on first listen. Definitely interesting.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

I personally really liked it on first listen. The chorus is very catchy and that bridge came out of nowhere!

You can really tell how Myles' voice has aged though, especially in the first verse.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

More headache inducing stuff from Myles for me sadly. The quieter section was lovely though.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Yeah, it's melodic and heavy but P&K absolutely wipes the floor with it. Chorus is probably the most meat-and-potatoes thing they've ever done. It will fly on the radio but is it what AB has become? A radio friendly band with nothing original to offer? That's what this song is all about.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It's a fun enough listen, but I can see why they'd want to release Pawns & Kings first. I do like that the chorus keeps the energy up though.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

edit: crap, I accidentally erased this post in trying to quote myself :facepalm too lazy to re-type everything. Summary: cool song, chorus = surprising | Shinedown?
Last edited by Timotheus on Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

MylesKennedy69
Brand New Start

Post by MylesKennedy69 »

Definitely much weaker than Pawns and Kings. This could've ended with a killer solo from Mark but no solo. Also it sounds really muddy but maybe that's YouTube compression. Myles sounds incredible but this song would definitely benefit from Mark back up vocals instead of double Myles. Definitely the radio friendly single.
If this was any other band I'd think "that guitarist is sick". But this is Mark Tremonti. He feels underused with no solo and no backup vocals here.
Last edited by MylesKennedy69 on Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red_D
Brand New Start

Post by Red_D »

Dolo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:53 am Yeah, it's melodic and heavy but P&K absolutely wipes the floor with it. Chorus is probably the most meat-and-potatoes thing they've ever done. It will fly on the radio but is it what AB has become? A radio friendly band with nothing original to offer? That's what this song is all about.
Its one song out of ten, have some faith. AB always have a track or two per album that could be considered “radio friendly”, was Tear Us Apart indicative of the rest of Walk the Sky? Imagine the meltdowns if that had been the one and only single released from that album 😂

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Red_D wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:30 am
Dolo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:53 am Yeah, it's melodic and heavy but P&K absolutely wipes the floor with it. Chorus is probably the most meat-and-potatoes thing they've ever done. It will fly on the radio but is it what AB has become? A radio friendly band with nothing original to offer? That's what this song is all about.
Its one song out of ten, have some faith. AB always have a track or two per album that could be considered “radio friendly”, was Tear Us Apart indicative of the rest of Walk the Sky? Imagine the meltdowns if that had been the one and only single released from that album 😂
At least Tear Us Apart was pleasant to listen to :lol

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Red_D wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:30 am Its one song out of ten, have some faith.
I do. I'm glad they released P&K first and whatever this is second. Otherwise all hope would've been gone lol.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Sorry guys, I seem to love that song. I've read the comments first and didn't have high expectations but they were easily exceeded. For a radio single I think that is an excellent song, love the riff and find the chorus catchy and heavy at the same time - way better than Poison in your Veins imo which was ONLY catchy.

I've read somewhere that this song is something Shinedown could have had released - what an insult :P :D This is miles (pun intended) better than anything Shinedown released since 2013 - in my humble opinion. :cheers

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Damn.. that song needed a ripping solo at the end. Solid song tho. You can hear how Myles voice has thinned out in the first verse of the song..

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Love the song. Really cool. One of their strongest chorus for a single in my opinion! But my god does it lack a solo at the end !! Epic missed opportunity here imo. If a band member reads this : you guys could shred on that chorus at the end during gigs! Would be epic I feel

Overalls really solid song. Not as good as addicted to pain though I feel. Not as epic
Last edited by DarkKnight12 on Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Mr.Vlado wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:38 am Sorry guys, I seem to love that song. I've read the comments first and didn't have high expectations but they were easily exceeded. For a radio single I think that is an excellent song, love the riff and find the chorus catchy and heavy at the same time - way better than Poison in your Veins imo which was ONLY catchy.

I've read somewhere that this song is something Shinedown could have had released - what an insult :P :D This is miles (pun intended) better than anything Shinedown released since 2013 - in my humble opinion. :cheers
Agreed regarding poison in your veins
Also, Silver tongue has nothing in common with any Shinedown song like Litteraly nothing.
And lastly, Shinedown latest 2 albums are great !

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

DarkKnight12 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:19 am Also, Silver tongue has nothing in common with any Shinedown song like Litteraly nothing.
Really? Literally nothing? From the top of my head, it's like a mix of the chord progression / vocal melodies of the chorus of Heroes + a less heavy drums of the Adrenaline rhythm.

I'm just saying the chorus has a certain vibe. That's not a dig towards Shinedown and not a dig towards this song. It's simple, commercial-sounding chorus with an upbeat and upfront drum beat. Shinedown was the first band that came to mind.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Sidebar, much prefer the artwork for both singles to the album's.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Ubik wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:30 am Sidebar, much prefer the artwork for both singles to the album's.
Absolutely. I think the artwork for Silver Tongue could have easily been the P&K album cover!