The Fortress Reviews Thread - press reviews & early listens

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Fortress Reviews Thread - All Album Reviews Go Here

Post by Timotheus »

Polyphonic?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Therefromthestart04
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Therefromthestart04 »

just came back on here to say i was on hear recently saying i was worried Myles would burn out as he was touring with Slash and trying to get this album finished when i spoke to him on Wednesday i said he works too hard he said he was fine and they hoped everybody would like the new album. what a waste of time worrying was :( when i heard Fortress he was awesome ! some of his best vocals :mkrules

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Haha do you have any other comments about the album?

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Decay wrote:I really hope ''Calm The Fire'' won't let me down. I don't like the Muse thing (I don't like Muse, at all).
I'm actually REALLY excited for this song because of the Muse comparisons (I love Muse). Probably the least expected thing that I've read about the album so far.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

This is cool. Not really a review but I noticed the Alter Bridge twitter tweeted about meeting Mick Wall earlier on, so I just happened to check his blog for any mention of the album and this was the most recent entry:
Back in my office, back to the grind, back to... the brilliant new Alter Bridge album actually. Don't know where you stand on AB. I've never not been impressed by their albums. But here's the thing, I listen avidly, I admire firmly, then I put them back in their box and... usually that's it for another three years.

This one though, it might just be me though I don't think it is as Amit Sharma at Metal Hammer said the same thing when I just spoke to him, this is different. Bigger. Better. More. Quite bit more, actually. But I'll have to get back to you on the actualite, as the French used to say, as I have been warned that to say more will result in my digital beheading, and you know how much I respect record companies.

I'm off to meet Myles and Mark tomorrow actually. For a little chinwag for the mighty Hammer. I am always thrilled to be asked to do something for Metal Hammer, it being the true blood-descendent of the golden-era Kerrang of the 1980s that I helped build. Especially since Alex Milas took over the reigns. And especially so, in my case, since Amit took over as features editor as the only things he ever asks me to do are things I'm actually intrigued by. It also gets me out of the house and meeting the younger generation, dear. Do you fancy a cup of tea? And a biscuit? Ooh, yummy...
http://www.mickwall.com/blog/blog.php
For all of the hope that it brings...

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

I personally love the fact that the guys and the labels are asking people who have heard the record early to keep things to themselves. They haven't done that in the past. Makes me think they know they have something special here and they don't want it to be spoiled

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

So a vocal only intro? I am guessing that would be the nod to Queen that Myles was talking about.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

youknowverywell wrote:I personally love the fact that the guys and the labels are asking people who have heard the record early to keep things to themselves. They haven't done that in the past. Makes me think they know they have something special here and they don't want it to be spoiled
Nobody restricted us in what we could and couldn't share about listening to the album. Though I heard such a sound from someone who was at the German listening party...

We did write spoiler alert so you didn't have to read it if you didn't want to know ;)
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

axlar wrote:[We did write spoiler alert so you didn't have to read it if you didn't want to know ;)
Oh I want to know haha I'm gonna read all the reviews and listen to the previews once they're out haha

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Mick Wall just did another little update and mentioned the album again:
When it was over Myles and Mark and Steve - and Kirsten, their top PR wonder woman - invited me out for lunch, which they were having with the Dream Theater guys. Had to politely decline though, as I had another meeting to make. Shame. BTW, let me not forget to say how very good the Fortress album is. If you already like AB, you will be lifted to another level by this. And if you're not already partial to AB, this will be the one that changes your mind for you. Like classic-era Queensryche meets original-idea Alice In Chains. Only different.
6 weeks is a long time.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Only different.
:lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Homer S.
Bought The CDs

Post by Homer S. »

If you already like AB, you will be lifted to another level by this.
WTH? :peace

@Stijn: Dude, is it really that good? :headscratch

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Homer S. wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, as far as I can remember, that yes it was f"$king good.

Homer S.
Bought The CDs

Post by Homer S. »

Crumbso wrote:
Homer S. wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, as far as I can remember, that yes it was f"$king good.
:cheers

OMG... I WANT TO HAVE THIS IN MY HANDS RIGHT NOW! :headbang

How do you manage living without hearing it for the next few weeks? :headscratch

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I.... DON'T ...... KNOW :facepalm

It's only been two days and I'm already getting withdrawal. I couldn't even say if it was better than BB or ODR or ABIII or anything but all I know is I loved that playthrough.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

@Homer I think most fans will love the direction and steps they've taken. Though there will always be haters. Lol

And yeah. Next 5 weeks will be terrible as I will only have my memories and notes I've taken. But it was all worth it! Thanks for your concerns!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

God help us. This is going to be the longest month/month and a half of our lives. Brace yourself ABNation.

Homer S.
Bought The CDs

Post by Homer S. »

Crumbso wrote:I.... DON'T ...... KNOW :facepalm

It's only been two days and I'm already getting withdrawal. I couldn't even say if it was better than BB or ODR or ABIII or anything but all I know is I loved that playthrough.
I´m with you, Dude! And I didn`t have the opportunity to hear it...

No kidding, my first thoughts after waking up: Damn, it`s done, but I can`t have it `til September. :slam

Homer S.
Bought The CDs

Post by Homer S. »

axlar wrote:@Homer I think most fans will love the direction and steps they've taken. Though there will always be haters. Lol

And yeah. Next 5 weeks will be terrible as I will only have my memories and notes I've taken. But it was all worth it! Thanks for your concerns!
Hey Stijn,

nice to read/hear u again after a while and confirming the written stuff on the web: It`s a masterpiece! :humina

As I told @crumbso before, I´m also feeling with u and everybody else having been to one of these listening parties. As there definitely must be some kind of emptiness after hearing it once and then been taken away for 5 weeks. :eek

:cheers
Last edited by Homer S. on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote:Mick Wall just did another little update and mentioned the album again:
When it was over Myles and Mark and Steve - and Kirsten, their top PR wonder woman - invited me out for lunch, which they were having with the Dream Theater guys. Had to politely decline though, as I had another meeting to make. Shame. BTW, let me not forget to say how very good the Fortress album is. If you already like AB, you will be lifted to another level by this. And if you're not already partial to AB, this will be the one that changes your mind for you. Like classic-era Queensryche meets original-idea Alice In Chains. Only different.
6 weeks is a long time.
Ahh, this is like music to my ears. Maybe this will be the album that helps me introduce some stubborn friends to the band :lol