The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

Post by anguyen92 »

Man, I can't believe we're getting really closer to the album release. I don't say this about most albums, except maybe Skillet's Rise, but this may very well be the most important album I may listen to in my life.

It's quite odd, but I feel that this album might hit us hard and home very well. I just have that feeling.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

anguyen92 wrote:Man, I can't believe we're getting really closer to the album release. I don't say this about most albums, except maybe Skillet's Rise, but this may very well be the most important album I may listen to in my life.

It's quite odd, but I feel that this album might hit us hard and home very well. I just have that feeling.
I couldn't agree more.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

anguyen92 wrote: but this may very well be the most important album I may listen to in my life.
Lets keep the hyperbole down to a minimum. :cheers

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

julio wrote:
anguyen92 wrote: but this may very well be the most important album I may listen to in my life.
Lets keep the hyperbole down to a minimum. :cheers
Ehhh, if I was really exaggerating, I would have kept this thought to myself. No matter, it is what it is.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah, I'm trying not to get too pumped up myself so it doesn't fall flat upon first listen. But all of this praise is making it hard to do.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

One Drew Remains wrote:As for the b-sides, Def Leppard had a similar problem last year. And it backs up what Marcos said. Mercury or Island or whatever that label was when they left owned the recordings. Because of that, Leppard could never get on iTunes (thus missing out on a HUGE revenue stream). And last year when the Rock Of Ages movie came out, they couldn't use Pour Some Sugar On Me or Rock of Ages as they were on Pyro and Hysteria. So they went out and recorded (very inferior IMO) new versions of the songs so they could be on the soundtrack and iTunes.

AB could do the same thing. They would just have to re-record them. I was actually hoping we'd get OMWN at least as a bonus hidden track or something.
Yeah, but that still intrigues me: if they bought their selves out of the contract, why don't they have the rights to their own songs? How much more would it cost?

I know labels are greedy and all, but I still think both parts could benefit of a partnership: now Alter Bridge has their own label, they could propose to release the b-sides digitally, it's pretty easy to monitor the sell-out and share the profits accordingly: revenue from ODR songs goes to Wind-Up, revenue from BB goes to Universal, simple as that.

It's better to find an outlet for those songs than not making any money out of them because they're stuck in the vault.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Marcos wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:As for the b-sides, Def Leppard had a similar problem last year. And it backs up what Marcos said. Mercury or Island or whatever that label was when they left owned the recordings. Because of that, Leppard could never get on iTunes (thus missing out on a HUGE revenue stream). And last year when the Rock Of Ages movie came out, they couldn't use Pour Some Sugar On Me or Rock of Ages as they were on Pyro and Hysteria. So they went out and recorded (very inferior IMO) new versions of the songs so they could be on the soundtrack and iTunes.

AB could do the same thing. They would just have to re-record them. I was actually hoping we'd get OMWN at least as a bonus hidden track or something.
Yeah, but that still intrigues me: if they bought their selves out of the contract, why don't they have the rights to their own songs? How much more would it cost?

I know labels are greedy and all, but I still think both parts could benefit of a partnership: now Alter Bridge has their own label, they could propose to release the b-sides digitally, it's pretty easy to monitor the sell-out and share the profits accordingly: revenue from ODR songs goes to Wind-Up, revenue from BB goes to Universal, simple as that.

It's better to find an outlet for those songs than not making any money out of them because they're stuck in the vault.
It feels like it is all one big pissing match that Wind-Up will not win, as long as Creed is inactive for the time being. Hmm, I wonder if they should exercise the option where Mark, Flip, Brian agrees to make and release the next Creed album at the end of 2014, in exchange of those ODR B-Sides for no cost?

Then, that's when AB will release these B-Sides in 2015 when they are inactive, but we, the fans, get the pleasure of hearing some old stuff that never saw the light of day and AB reap the benefits on that one and not Wind-Up.

I just wish Wind-Up records would crash and burn and AB comes out of this smelling fresh in this confrontation.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

Just saw this posted on Metalingus.de's Facebook page

SPOILER song lyrics

EDIT: Just noticed that this was in the Classic Rock article. Sigh...
Last edited by youknowverywell on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Marcos wrote:Yeah, but that still intrigues me: if they bought their selves out of the contract, why don't they have the rights to their own songs? How much more would it cost?

I guess you're just buying yourself out of your future obligations with that label, rather than taking everything you've done in the past with you as well. It's fair enough if they funded the recording, but it double sucks that the guys had to do it all over with Universal Republic. If anything I think I dislike them more than Wind-Up. Thank feck they've found a good home at last.

I agree that it would make sense to release the One Day Remains stuff so they could at least get some money out of it, but maybe they're bitter at the thought of doing something to the benefit of the band still. They'll probably be a let down now we've all built them up so much :lol
For all of the hope that it brings...

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

AB23 wrote:But either way, OMWN can wait. We're about to get 11 of their best. So excited
My thoughts exactly. We're about to get an album of 12 songs that were deemed good enough to actually be released. I'm much more excited about hearing those songs than songs that we're good enough to put on an album almost 10 years ago. Of course I would like to have those songs as well but I don't really care about them all that much at this point with Fortress being so close.

Stuzz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Stuzz »

So i was looking through the NZ JB Hifi website for the fortress pre order and this 2cd edition seemed to pop up, i went into it but there was no extra information.... interesting...
http://imgur.com/ySXR3Tr

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

Stuzz wrote:So i was looking through the NZ JB Hifi website for the fortress pre order and this 2cd edition seemed to pop up, i went into it but there was no extra information.... interesting...
http://imgur.com/ySXR3Tr
Maybe making of? who knows :shrug

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

gosh i hope not...lol. already pre-ordered the album on cd and vinyl. don't really want to have to get another one.
Photobucket cash grab.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Might just be mislabelling the vinyl? Can't imagine they'd have failed to advertise a double CD given how many fans would spend the extra.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Stuzz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Stuzz »

i think it may be an error, it's the only website that i've seen that has anything more than just the 1cd album

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

So I was on YouTube and something at the bottom of a video caught my eye: an ad for AB's Fortress. Personally, I think Roadrunner is doing a fantastic job advertising this album.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

AB4Lyfe wrote:So I was on YouTube and something at the bottom of a video caught my eye: an ad for AB's Fortress. Personally, I think Roadrunner is doing a fantastic job advertising this album.
you'll likely notice this ad elsewhere too...it's based off of your searches. personalized marketing.
Photobucket cash grab.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

What's up with the word "Hell" on this album? I really hope cursing isn't a huge thing on this one.. seeing as Myles likes to drop F bombs at every live show now. lol I find it highly annoying.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

well fucking hell

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

JaredWard wrote:What's up with the word "Hell" on this album? I really hope cursing isn't a huge thing on this one.. seeing as Myles likes to drop F bombs at every live show now. lol I find it highly annoying.
Honestly I feel like the "hell" thing is just a coincidence. I don't think out of nowhere all their songs are going to cuss like crazy. But the "F bomb" thing I'm not sure. Trying to be "cool" I guess?

...there were way too many quotation marks in this "post." :shrug