Listen to Fortress!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cointurtlemoose
Loyal Follower

Re: Listen to Fortress!

Post by cointurtlemoose »

LISTENING NOWWW!!!

Just paused it right after The Uninvited, and I'm gonna post my thoughts about the first 5 before moving on!

Cry of Achilles - Seriously do I even need to describe this?? What an awesome journey of a song, always kept me on my toes, yet it wasn't inaccessible, it still enabled me to follow. I thought Slip was the perfect album opener, and best song on AB3, but this outdoes it clearly. I was laughing by the end because it was so good.

Addicted to Pain - You know, after Cry of Achilles, this was quite a necessary track. And though it is more formulaic in terms of arrangement, I feel like I needed it after the roller coaster with the opener. And in its own right, it's catchy, heavy, and has great 'little things' musically to keep the attentive ear happy even while being more radio-friendly.

Bleed It Dry - Great heavy track, love the chorus in this one. And then THE BRIDGE. Bottom drops out. So awesome. And then a bluesy solo, what the crap, but I love it, and then it rocks out again. Really noticed little tasteful things Flip was doing on this one. He really can improve the flow and freshness of a song, and it showed here.

Lover - Didn't know what to think of it at first, then the chorus hit and I was like "alriiightt yeah, I can dig it". Then that next part (second verse? idk) where Myles jumps up hit, and if I wouldn't have just gone poop before I listened to all this, I would have pooped my pants no doubt. And then the way it ends... holy crap, it's tied with Cry of Achilles, and maybe in the Top 5 they've ever done. AB STOP IT, you're making me want to like hard rock again...

The Uninvited - Probably thus far, my least favorite. Though not bad by any means, and to me was better than most all of AB3. Almost got a Conspirators vibe from this, which I really like.

Overall so far -

I think the thing I'm most noticing and appreciating is the progressiveness of the album, and I'll define that term cause it's thrown around a lot. I mean there's like at least 3 different sub-genres of rock thrown into every song (except ATP) so far. And yet it doesn't feel schizophrenic, it's still surprisingly cohesive, and still allows you to rock out on visceral level without having to analyze it. It's funny, cause that's one of the marks of my favorite artists (all non-rock), is that you can enjoy them if you analyze them because you find a real depth, or you can enjoy them just if you sit back and get carried away.

Anywho, I'm rambling and I NEED TO LISTEN TO THE REST!

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

Waters Rising...

I know we all knew Mark would be the one who was going to sing on this one, but it was a great surprise anyway!

osmosis2259
Brand New Start

Post by osmosis2259 »

This totally exceeded what I was expecting. Very impressive album!

So quick question though:
The tracklist from the youtube stream is wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY4eAomKt8Q

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Haha CTM, that's exactly what I felt about Lover. I almost jumped like a little girl when Myles raised his voice like that. Holy shit.

Drivenunder4
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Drivenunder4 »

Listening right now! In Calm The Fire right now.. Better than I ever imagined. I'm gonna need a towel.....

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Drivenunder4 wrote:Listening right now! In Calm The Fire right now.. Better than I ever imagined. I'm gonna need a towel.....
Towel or tube sock?

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

For some reason I didn't think I would like Calm the Fire. I kept hearing Muse comparisons so I just thought 'ehhh...' But damn it blew me away and became my favorite song on the album.

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

What a journey, people, what a journey...

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Yep. I love this place when an album drops. Always crazy and awesome.

tiesthatbind1387
Brand New Start

Post by tiesthatbind1387 »

This album is a real powerhouse its so good.. Im on my 2nd time through and its even better then the first listen.. :rockon :rockon

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I'm telling people here again... Calm The Fire should be the next single, it's super great radio stuff... I can even imagine it on the Dutch pop radio stations! It has that special something, although it's not my favorite of the album!

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

The mixing of the album is perfect, I love it

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It would be a shame if they'd cut out the intro though, because It's the best part of the song (and album) imo.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

cointurtlemoose wrote:Then that next part (second verse? idk) where Myles jumps up hit, and if I wouldn't have just gone poop before I listened to all this, I would have pooped my pants no doubt.
:lol

Pretty sure I had to use the bathroom twice while listening to this album for the first time.

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

The solo of Fortress :headbang :bow

Bman2112
Brand New Start

Post by Bman2112 »

I'm losing the will to live. I'm in Brussels right now and still no stream. I'm on an iPad so can't typically use torrents. Any ideas as its not up on YouTube yet either.

Thanks

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Gosh, I'm gonna fuck up my ears on this record. Blasting it on full volume right on.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

Bman2112 wrote:I'm losing the will to live. I'm in Brussels right now and still no stream. I'm on an iPad so can't typically use torrents. Any ideas as its not up on YouTube yet either.

Thanks
Man, I feel for you... I think it will take a while before get torrents or youtube upload. Maybe a day or so.

Why the stream would not work in Brussels. Hang on, dont kill yourself! :hug

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Bman2112 wrote:I'm losing the will to live. I'm in Brussels right now and still no stream. I'm on an iPad so can't typically use torrents. Any ideas as its not up on YouTube yet either.

Thanks
There are seperate versions of the songs on youtube.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

osmosis2259
Brand New Start

Post by osmosis2259 »

Anyone should be able to stream here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY4eAomKt8Q