WDTTW live?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
RuRo
Loyal Follower

Re: WDTTW live?

Post by RuRo »

In my opinion, ommitting the high, sustained notes at the end of WDTTW would be different to ommitting or cutting short, say, the final note in Blackbird. The high notes at the end of WDTTW are so significant and integral to the climax of the song that missing them would impact the song much more significantly. It basically is the climax of the song. In other songs it would usually feel as climactic even if he doesn't go for every high note or cuts things short (e.g. in Blackbird the end of the solo section and the final chorus are climactic enough without holding the final note for 17 seconds), but in Words Darker Than Their Wings they probably feel like missing it out would leave it lacking.

All speculation though, there are plenty of other potential reasons. One of the main points people made was that maybe Mark didn't want to sing his lead part live, but since we've heard that it was Myles that didn't want to perform it (unfortunately I can't give a link for that, it may have just been word of mouth and if there was a source it's probably a link posted on the old forum) that makes that reason less likely, and concerns about Myles' ending vocals more likely.

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

I remember hearing it was Myles that didn't want to sing it, and it was speculated that it was because of that high note. It's probably hard for him to hit... and if he doesn't do it exactly right, then it's on youtube and people are talking smack. That's probably why he didn't go for it. So instead of playing it and not doing it and people wondering why, they just didn't play it.

But that's just how AB are. Remember they wouldn't play Damage Done live because they couldn't get the double solo down right? They didn't just play it and let Mark do it himself, they just decided not to play it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Vaux wrote:Remember they wouldn't play Damage Done live because they couldn't get the double solo down right?
when was this?

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

AB23 wrote:
Vaux wrote:Remember they wouldn't play Damage Done live because they couldn't get the double solo down right?
when was this?
This was 2 or 3 years ago. They were playing it and working on it during soundchecks, but they never ended up playing it live. I think it was in one of the hundreds of interviews I read/watched over the last few years that mentioned it, can't remember.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

i wouldve creamed my panties seeing that solo live. goshhhh they should play every song at least once before its all said and done. except we dont care at all, i dont care for that song. at all.

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

AB23 wrote:we dont care at all, i dont care for that song. at all.
:lol

I don't have a problem with that song, although it is certainly different from the rest of ODR, I can see why they left it off.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Vaux wrote:
AB23 wrote:we dont care at all, i dont care for that song. at all.
:lol

I don't have a problem with that song, although it is certainly different from the rest of ODR, I can see why they left it off.
Pretty sure it's a b-side to Blackbird

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

seriously though, could they have gotten away with dropping the notes in wdttw throughout the song? they rose each note in in loving memory and it worked out pretty well, although when they tried it for burn it down it was a trainwreck. and the solo at the end sounded terrible
[youtube]http://youtu.be/1PuW7QZxi44[/youtube]

could they get away with lowering the notes in words to make the song more easily sung for myles?

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

BSC wrote:It seems strange to me that Myles wouldn't want to do it, considering he works with Slash, where the setlists are alot more flexible, and could possibly be more vocally demanding, I would have expected him to be the most flexible in terms of wanting to change about the setlist? Slash's setlists have changed alot more than Creed's setlists have, which were just cycling between two.

If Myles doesn't want to sing it then that's cool with me, but I would of thought that high note would be pretty easy considering he sings songs like Paradise City and Sweet Child Of Mine with quite high notes fine? Then again, I know very little about singing ability and how it all works.
I think it's probably the high note that is the problem. It is one of the defining moments of the song and could be disappointing if he were to not pull it off. Plus, his voice probably wouldn't handle it on a regular basis I feel.

I'd like to see an acoustic version of it. They haven't done enough acoustic recently.

tRuth Alone
Brand New Start

Post by tRuth Alone »

Although WDTTW is my favourite AB song to date, if the guys don't think they can do it justice live then I am happy to leave it as a studio only experience. The climax of the track is so amazing and sounds a difficult moment to reproduce on a nightly basis on tour. I wouldn't want to hear a compromise.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

not on a nightly basis. one time.

tRuth Alone
Brand New Start

Post by tRuth Alone »

AB23 wrote:not on a nightly basis. one time.

Mmmm - still not sure, can't bear the thought of being disappointed.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

I don't see the point in bands creating stuff in the studio that they can't reproduce live. Seems a bit cheap to me.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Macca wrote:I don't see the point in bands creating stuff in the studio that they can't reproduce live. Seems a bit cheap to me.
i agree. seems like some of the best parts of said songs in the studio might be too good to be true

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

EDIT: Nevermind.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Macca wrote:I don't see the point in bands creating stuff in the studio that they can't reproduce live. Seems a bit cheap to me.
If a band has an idea for a studio song they think is good I don't really think they should not do it or deliberately make it worse (in their view) just because it would be difficult to reproduce in a live setting. Create the best music you can for the studio albums.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

He can undoubtedly do it live, probably just a case of being overly cautious. Might've thought they should practice for a while to get it right for London, then realised it might not be a good idea to bring it out live for the first time on the DVD show. Are they touring again before the next album's supposed to be out?
For all of the hope that it brings...

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

I would pay good money for a 3-night event. One album per night. Put it on a DVD maybe. That would be sick.

Yeah, I've said it before and it's a Creed idea but the concept of playing the whole album per show is great.

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

You can't deny that WDTTW is an incredible song, nor can you say that it would be impossible to reproduce live. Just because they didn't *want* to do it live, doesn't mean they can't.
And even if it was, it's an amazing song regardless and it's existence shouldn't be based on whether or not it can be performed live.
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Wouldn't go as far as to say that it's incredible by any means. It's good.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?