The Fortress Reviews Thread - press reviews & early listens

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: The Fortress Reviews Thread - All Album Reviews Go Here

Post by Ubik »

For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

sam_j
Bought The CDs

Post by sam_j »

Interesting review.Strange that he did not mention the title track even once.
Four back to back guitar solos in different keys and tuning is not a "Stand out" thing for him?
I wonder what he was looking for.But it's fine,everybody has his or her opinion.And in the release date it is written "Out now".I thought the album has leaked!LOL

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

sam_j wrote:
Four back to back guitar solos in different keys and tuning is not a "Stand out" thing for him?
I wonder what he was looking for.But it's fine,everybody has his or her opinion.And in the release date it is written "Out now".I thought the album has leaked!LOL
Haha hasitleaked.com is a good site for that! ;) (that site doesn't contain links or whatever... just shows if an album has leaked or not)

I saw some other some reviews were not mentioning Fortress (the track), and that surprised me too. But maybe we have some inaccurate expectations haha! ;)

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

maybe they dont mention the title track as its the last track on the album, and normally title tracks sit around 3rd/4th place?!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

sam_j
Bought The CDs

Post by sam_j »

fix wrote:
sam_j wrote:
Haha hasitleaked.com is a good site for that! ;) (that site doesn't contain links or whatever... just shows if an album has leaked or not)

I saw some other some reviews were not mentioning Fortress (the track), and that surprised me too. But maybe we have some inaccurate expectations haha! ;)
Ya,hasitleaked is good.They also have a leak alert but I don't want to register just for that as the news will spread in the forum (just the news,no links).
Yes, there is not much enthusiasm among reviewers for the title track(or they are deliberately not over-hyping it) and we have high expections as well(which is not inaccurate.That track will be a beast!)

sam_j
Bought The CDs

Post by sam_j »

axlar wrote:maybe they dont mention the title track as its the last track on the album, and normally title tracks sit around 3rd/4th place?!
I am not sure about that.I mean how can a person who is reviewing the album not talk about the title track regardless of its position?

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

sam_j wrote:Yes, there is not much enthusiasm among reviewers for the title track(or they are deliberately not over-hyping it) and we have high expections as well(which is not inaccurate.That track will be a beast!)
Many reviews mentioned the title track as a good closer, and if people don't mention 4 solos and keychanges maybe they are just used to listening to progressive music or they simply don't care about the theory aspect :shrug
Don't read into it too much
Formerly known as Benjami

sam_j
Bought The CDs

Post by sam_j »

Dayviewer wrote:Many reviews mentioned the title track as a good closer, and if people don't mention 4 solos and keychanges maybe they are just used to listening to progressive music or they simply don't care about the theory aspect :shrug
Maybe you are right,and I guess it doesn't even matter that much.I was just a bit puzzled as I think the track is not getting the response as I was expecting. :)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Dayviewer wrote:
sam_j wrote:Yes, there is not much enthusiasm among reviewers for the title track(or they are deliberately not over-hyping it) and we have high expections as well(which is not inaccurate.That track will be a beast!)
Many reviews mentioned the title track as a good closer, and if people don't mention 4 solos and keychanges maybe they are just used to listening to progressive music or they simply don't care about the theory aspect :shrug
I think it's possible lots of reviewers don't know about the theory aspect. Hence, reviewers.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

Yes that as well ofcourse
Formerly known as Benjami

Decay

Post by Decay »

Thanks, Selina. That review was great. :)

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

http://www.metal.de/heavy-metal/review/ ... s/?genre=1

9/10

Many will be surprised by the new ALTER BRIDGE album " Fortress" . And for good reason: Somewhere you have already anticipated in mind the large commercial ballad that helps the alternative rockers to break airplay and Duch . But far from it , because " Fortress" is probably the toughest and most energetic work of the Florida quartet . Even the quiet moments are constantly interrupted by a harsh gruffness , and ALTER BRIDGE do not give themselves with veteran verse-chorus - scheme satisfied , even if those songs are also well represented on " Fortress" . A whole series of numbers comes up with almost progressive width , the epic title track , with its breaks and tempo changes is not the lone exception . The opener " Cry Of Achilles " with its quiet acoustic intro and the two solo parts demonstrates the creative freedom that have Mark Tremonti and his colleagues allowed at this time. This time, Myles Kennedy shines again with his typical strong character song and it's not just him but the entire band , which tells little stories with the equipped with widescreen melodies "Calm The Fire" and the aforementioned title song. The cornerstone of the album is a real highlight , but not the only one on the album.

The single " Addicted To Pain" , " Cry A River ", " Farther Than The Sun" and " All Ends Well" are all rifflastige Heavy Metal Rocker on the border , always equipped with the kind melodsichem Vertständnis , the one on the first three albums, the band learned to appreciate. The guitarist and main songwriter itself also takes on a song the lead vocals ( " Waters Rising" ) , after he had already ventured out of his skin on his solo tour . And the rather quiet oriented "Lover " is , not least because of the very rough production , as well as a piece with corners and edges. " Fortress " is full of excellent moments , many of which might really be noticed after the third or fourth listening session . The magnificent solo part ( the middle part of "Bleed It Dry " is representative ), and in the many surprising pace and intensity of change and by held-to- end compositional class raise the washer on a level that completely legitimately one even the best ever album band can speak . Where the predecessors still light quality variations were to be seen , is " Fortress" a self-contained work, the " III AB " connects the album -oriented overall use of the persuasive individual songs of both predecessors and therefore also represents artwork Hitschmiede . ALTER BRIDGE are the band that you most likely have thought of this balancing act , the evidence they provide with " Fortress" .

The initially mentioned "Calm The Fire" ; cleverly as again outstanding highlight in the center placed , is one of the most ambitious compositions that have ever brought the musicians involved into being and should be treated as out tip for those ALTER BRIDGE still as commercial U.S. radio band stamped . After the quiet intro , the number increases to a highly emotional epic with widescreen chorus , the melodies seem to come from somewhere very far away. And who then wants to hear more of this sound , will not fail to face " Fortress" on the shelf. For ALTER BRIDGE are long only they themselves have established a style that is played by any other band in the world so , and " Fortress " is the current highlight an impressive musical career. The album is not only large, it is a benchmark for everything that will come in the future from this area.
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Great review!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

They said epic.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

All Ends Well is a rifflastige Heavy Metal Rocker?
For all of the hope that it brings...

sam_j
Bought The CDs

Post by sam_j »

Great reviews!
The translation spoils it a bit,but still..cool!

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Ubik wrote:All Ends Well is a rifflastige Heavy Metal Rocker?
and always equipped with the kind melodsichem Vertständnis.
I should have paid more attention on my German classes.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Suvi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Suvi »

There is a review of Fortress in the newest issue of Kerrang! Anyone has it? If so, could you please scan it or something and put it here :D